#bzflag IRC Channel Return

External websites, for and about BZFlag
Kitsune
Private First Class
Private First Class

#bzflag IRC Channel Return

Post by Kitsune »

As I surf through the BZFlagWiki, I noticed that BZFlag supposedly has two official IRC channels. I wouldn't know for others, but the matter of #bzflag still being one of the official channels is rather doubtful. The reason would be because it wasn't registered when I checked today. As I logged into the IRC, I visited the channel and saw that it is both more or less dead and not registered on Rizon. It is the first time I saw an official channel be unregistered, so it made me wonder. There are two possibilities, either the channel was never registered, or the one who has registered it has shut it down. It's probably the former, because as far as I know, the latter is not even possible.

At any point, I've now registered the channel and am currently set as its owner. I can change that at any point, but the key message is simple: the IRC is up! Yes, yes, we all know how the activity on BZFlag in general is quite zombie-like, but still, if anyone would want to lurk into it at any given time, feel free to. I'll most likely dedicate a few hours per day towards idling in it, so feel free to ping me if you come in.

Any good clients? : I use Kiwi, but I heard HexChat is even better.
macsforme
General
General

Re: #bzflag IRC Channel Return

Post by macsforme »

Try #bzflag on FreeNode (http://freenode.net). That is the official channel on the correct network.
Kitsune
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kitsune »

I didn't think of an other-network possibility. I appreciate the share.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

That wiki page says what network the channels are on. Did your think irc only had one network?
ImageJeffM
Kitsune
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kitsune »

JeffM wrote:Did your think irc only had one network?
Although I'm not proud to admit it, I actually did. I apologize for any possible inconvenience brought.
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

Also, they are mentioned into the Help page in the main site:
http://bzflag.org/help .

There, there are web clients to run directly also, w/o having to use/install any specific IRC software; though specific softwares allways offer much more features.

Note: I have noticed that freenode.net sometimes uses SASL for authentication, then, as some clients, included the web ones AFAIK, don't have it implemeted still, you could not be able to connect. They enable/disable it every some time (and you have to be a registered user to authenticate through SASL, OFC).