Current bans

Discussion for Leagues United players
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Current bans

Post by kierra »

Current bans: shall they carry over

Current outstanding ban is on Snake12534: indefinite time span, not to be less than 1 year.
Reason: https://www.guleague.org/Bans/
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Re: Current bans

Post by kierra »

damns3xy wrote: Current bans should be lifted, it doesn't take long to remove someone from the spawn list.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

moto unit wrote:Current bans - I think current bans can and should be reviewed on a case by case basis depending on the severity of the ban. If its out right cheating I think that is more serious than say an infraction of fighting and cursing although both take away from the joy of playing the game. I think a ban board comprised of League Admins could review the bans and come to a consensus on whether the ban remains or is modified or thrown out completely. Majority rules in all decisions
figurines
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by figurines »

I think we should remove perma-bans or bans beyond 1 week. Keep giving players chances-keep banning them. Everyone has the ability to /silence and it could add some fun character to the game to "break the rules" (John McEnroe and tennis anyone?). Let's get some more emotion going in these matches!

Also seriously let's encourage /silence...admins should be saying "you don't like what he is saying we recommend /silence"....

I realize my opinions on this are not for everyone, but I still think cheating or "serious" issues of conduct (sexual harass, racism etc.) should be the only reason for a ban.
gorgomol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gorgomol »

cheating and/or player harassement of all nature are/is an obvious reason(s) for a ban
life is too short , spread love around you.
Moto Unit
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Moto Unit »

Quoting figurines: "I think we should remove perma-bans or bans beyond 1 week. Keep giving players chances-keep banning them. Everyone has the ability to /silence and it could add some fun character to the game to "break the rules" (John McEnroe and tennis anyone?). Let's get some more emotion going in these matches!
Also seriously let's encourage /silence...admins should be saying "you don't like what he is saying we recommend /silence"....

I understand your disdain for bans/perm bans figurines, but at what point and for how long do you feel it appropriate then for admins/cops to have to keep dealing with repeat offenders...like Snake? Admins and cops (at least all that I know) dislike having to be "the bad guys/gals". The whole reason they are in these roles in the first place is their love of the game. They would much rather support, encourage, answer questions about the game, help new players feel welcome, and just be there in case the odd circumstance comes along that requires some intervention....not a daily routine of constantly correcting bad, inappropriate behaviors. Constantly having to deal with repeat offenders who know the rules but make the conscious decision to break them is both time consuming and unproductive and it takes away from the joy of the game for the other players who have to encounter these people on a recurring basis. My grandfather had a saying for people who do dumb things and end up getting what is coming to them...."if you are going to be dumb, then you have to be tough". If you know the rules, which are put in place for the betterment of the game play, help a majority of folks who play by the rules to enjoy the game, why then would you think it appropriate for a select few individuals to be able to circumvent those rules and regulations at the detriment to the majority?
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Let me make something perfectly clear, as far as I'm concerned (and I believe admins & hosts will agree), and its a non-negotiable: Snake12534 will serve out his gu ban in the new league.
Most players have no idea the amount of work & time put into this one player alone. He can play on other maps, and if he matures, he could be welcomed back in the league at the end of his ban. It all rests on him.

I think "current bans' here refers to those long term bans, ie soxs, carnage..... What to do about those banned 5-6 yr ago as teenagers and are now young adults in their 20s.
styx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by styx »

kierra wrote:Let me make something perfectly clear, as far as I'm concerned (and I believe admins & hosts will agree), and its a non-negotiable: Snake12534 will serve out his gu ban in the new league.
Most players have no idea the amount of work & time put into this one player alone. He can play on other maps, and if he matures, he could be welcomed back in the league at the end of his ban. It all rests on him.

I think "current bans' here refers to those long term bans, ie soxs, carnage..... What to do about those banned 5-6 yr ago as teenagers and are now young adults in their 20s.
100% support this, kierra.
"A fool and his money are soon elected" -- Will Rogers
T-roy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by T-roy »

I agree with snakes ban, but do we consider other bans such as Carn, Sox , Rj and tele matured enough to reinstate?
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Rj is not banned. He is on the spawn only list, along with Latin Heat and Sanctified.

Reinstatement would be on a case by case basis....not a blanket everyone is automatically back in.
T-roy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by T-roy »

understood ty
gorgomol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gorgomol »

about those old permanent ban or restriction list i would like to see a probative periode of 3 months minimum as we did on ducati league with zero tolerance.
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

T-roy wrote:I agree with snakes ban, but do we consider other bans such as Carn, Sox , Rj and tele matured enough to reinstate?
i'm with troy here, and support kierra in leading reviews of banned players (history and reasons etc) and discussing their future in the new league. regarding server owners - i respect their decision's as owners when they choose to ban a player, or allow them back.
oi!
styx
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by styx »

Are those people who are banned asking for reinstatement? I don't see the point of giving them consideration if they haven't asked for it.
"A fool and his money are soon elected" -- Will Rogers
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

soxs. has for sure. Spoke to him recently on bzflag.
hj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hj »

IMO, indefinite bans are pretty ridiculous in these times when there aren't enough people to keep the league active. 1-year ones, etc. are fine and after the fact, each player in the league can individually choose whether or not they want to match the previously banned player. People won't judge them poorly for it - everyone will know they cheated. Heck, that's what happened when snake was unbanned for some time. People who wanted to match him did and people who didn't want to didn't.
-hj
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

hrj wrote:IMO, indefinite bans are pretty ridiculous in these times when there aren't enough people to keep the league active. 1-year ones, etc. are fine and after the fact, each player in the league can individually choose whether or not they want to match the previously banned player. People won't judge them poorly for it - everyone will know they cheated. Heck, that's what happened when snake was unbanned for some time. People who wanted to match him did and people who didn't want to didn't.
It's a balancing act. Allowing trouble makers back can push away other players that either get abused by the trouble makers, or feel discontent towards the league for allowing those individuals back in after what they did. Then you end up with a league of trouble makers. ;)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

hj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hj »

That's a fair point - I guess at the very least we could handle unbanning people on a case by case basis like others suggested. There's a good chance most people banned 5 years ago when they were hotheaded high school/college students grew up a bit since then. If they were banned a long time ago and ask for reinstatement, try it for a little. If their actions are still out of order, then continue with the permanent ban. No/minimal harm done
-hj
Yvaika
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Yvaika »

I'm all for lifting all current bans and the spawn-only list. I don't see any reason not to give people another shot when they can't really do any significant damage.. it's also incredibly easy to re-ban or put on spawn-only if they're adamant on causing trouble after being given another chance. I'm gonna say the Snake one is up to the admins, though, cause that's fairly recent and I don't know all of the details.
MlG
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by MlG »

How is the ban system working in DUC and GU right now? Are there different ban lists for both leagues? If so i would keep bans of players who are banned in both leagues active. The others should get a second/third/fourth ;D chance. Also i thikn bans should be only issued for cheating. And a spawn only list should be filled with all the players that harrass others, are racist,...

the punishment for:
- Cheating should be "not playing" -> ban/observer only list
- "dirty" language should be "not talking -> spawn only list

These two "crimes" dont have to do anything with each other and should not be handled in the same way.

Also I dont like life-long bans.
dauphin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dauphin »

MlG wrote: Also i think bans should be only issued for cheating. And a spawn only list should be filled with all the players that harrass others, are racist,...

the punishment for:

These two "crimes" dont have to do anything with each other and should not be handled in the same way.

Also I dont like life-long bans.
This idea of punishment is brilliant. I like it.
Facilis Descensus Averni.

ladeda, ladedo, sing a song for you
gorgomol
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by gorgomol »

sure u can always come back observer with fancy swearing nickname with dynamic ip ^^
dauphin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dauphin »

Do you think that a league player would dare to have such a poor behaviour? ^^' I mean, we globablly know one another now, and I hardly imagine any of the current players able to rejoin with a dynamic IP and under bad nicknames. But anything is possible I guess.
Facilis Descensus Averni.

ladeda, ladedo, sing a song for you
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Do you think that a league player would dare to have such a poor behaviour? ^^' I mean, we globablly know one another now, and I hardly imagine any of the current players able to rejoin with a dynamic IP and under bad nicknames. But anything is possible I guess.
Oh araquiel...I could name several who have done this....more than once.....but I shall not.
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

MlG wrote:i thikn bans should be only issued for cheating. And a spawn only list should be filled with all the players that harrass others, are racist,...

the punishment for:

I think that bans should be used for more extreme cases such as attacking servers, harassing players, bypassing punishments, etc. For "minor" offenses they can be observer only or muted (this would be supported through my League Overseer plugin which has these features already planned). I agree that these offenses shouldn't be handled the same way as MlG wrote.
gorgomol wrote:sure u can always come back observer with fancy swearing nickname with dynamic ip ^^
League Overseer will prevent multiple rejoins if they're from the same IP so they won't be able talk via their callsign. (I haven't thought of a good solution to dynamic IPs so that may still cause problems). Also, they already can't use their motto since League Overseer replaces them with the team names or nothing if teamless.