New League Name

Discussion for Leagues United players
figurines
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: New League Name

Post by figurines »

I feel that the league we are starting replaces all other leagues...isn't that kind of the point? Adding more maps, consolidating leagues...

The only reason to start another league is to try to undermine what we're doing.

Maybe just the "battle zone league"

if we're so worried about sponsorship or endorsement from the bzflag project then we can just get around it by calling ourselves some sort of slightly changed grammar "BZ Flag League" "B Z Flag League"

Keep it simple and keep it as official as possible
sn0w_m0nkey
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sn0w_m0nkey »

i'm with Fig, I do like seeing where the game came from -> Battle Zone
This covers the game in total, and would embrace 1v1 or Last Tank Standing if those become a league option in the future.
Other support for "Battle Zone League"?
oi!
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

BATTLEZONE is a registered trademark of Atari Interactive, Inc.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

figurines
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by figurines »

BATTLEZONE

"Battle Zone League"

pretty sure they are different?

In any case I'm sure there's a way to do this and keep it very basic
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

blast wrote:
Constitution wrote:This also isn't an independent organization
Actually, that's exactly what this league is. It has no official relationship with or sponsorship from the BZFlag project. It is run and managed independently of the BZFlag project.
I meant it isn't independent of other leagues or competing organizations. The point is that the CTF leagues are consolidating into one. This is it.
blast wrote:
Constitution wrote:people should know that if they play this game and they want to compete in a league, this is where they do it.
I had originally post a response to this phrase but deleted my post. But since this is now being specifically mentioned as an "important point", I'll respond again.

If someone else wanted to run/start a league, then their league wouldn't be a place to compete? Is your new league the One True League and the other leagues shouldn't even bother?
To be frank, I don't see why someone would start another league, considering current activity levels. The whole point of this merger is to consolidate the others into one, to preserve and enhance what remains of league play. We don't claim any formal exclusive status, but this should be the place where you can find CTF league play. Therefore, I was pushing for a broad, inclusive name.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Constitution wrote:To be frank, I don't see why someone would start another league, considering current activity levels.
So you're deciding the league name based on a short sighted outlook on BZFlag's activity levels.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

figurines
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by figurines »

It's just a name and i think we care a bit too much.

I honestly think that, the name of the league like many other things, can be changed if it's hated.

Maybe we should pick something deliberately bad and then vote on a better name in the future.

Fig's deliberately bad pick: "Where's The Flag league"

WTF LEAGUE FTW

we need to lighten up and care a bit less about the future and do what's immediately right for the game (and the leagues) activity and i'm pretty sure that means naming it something like "the one bzflag league to destroy them all"
figurines
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by figurines »

it's going to become a mess if we continue letting everyone feel like they've got opinions and power...opinions is fine, but it should be clear where the power resides and who, ultimately, holds last word

in this issue and in others
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Time to move on from this discussion.

I think allejo's list is fine.

In deference to all that blast does for bzflag, hosting forums, listserver, having hosted maps in past.....I have no problem eliminating "bzflag ____" anything from the league name survey.

Let's not quibble any longer over this. In the future, should we decide on a better name, it can be discussed again.

Blast if you would, lock this thread please.

Many thanks to all who participated in the discussion.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."