Rules: review and maybe revise/update

Discussion for Leagues United players
macsforme
General
General

Re: Rules: review and maybe revise/update

Post by macsforme »

miro wrote:I would like to suggest a new rule for team reviving since i havent found anything about on the current leagues:
Let only the old team leader or founder be able to revive a team, or at least 2-3 of the past members together. thanks
I'm not sure I agree with this idea. To me, a team belongs to its members, not to its leader. I think a team disbanded by its leader should be fair game for its members to revive. A good example is when Bad Company was disbanded by its leader while it was still active and healthy, then its other members quickly requested for the team to be revived, and it continued on.
hj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hj »

Right, so miro's saying either the founder or 2-3 members together. If Bad Company, for example, had 3 members (or whatever constitutes a significant enough portion of that team) want to revive it, then it should be done. But I agree that one member shouldn't be able to revive a previous team if it won't be recognizable.
-hj
miro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by miro »

Constitution wrote:
miro wrote:I would like to suggest a new rule for team reviving since i havent found anything about on the current leagues:
Let only the old team leader or founder be able to revive a team, or at least 2-3 of the past members together. thanks
I'm not sure I agree with this idea. To me, a team belongs to its members, not to its leader. I think a team disbanded by its leader should be fair game for its members to revive. A good example is when Bad Company was disbanded by its leader while it was still active and healthy, then its other members quickly requested for the team to be revived, and it continued on.
Bad company got revived by its members including the team leader, thats not a good example cause thats exactly what im saying..doenst have to be necessarily the team leader, just the players too. Anyway the new league needs a rule for reviving cause it isnt written anywhere
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I was referring to an earlier time the team was resurrected, not this last time.

Are the admins just supposed to remember who was a leader or member and who was not?
miro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by miro »

Constitution wrote:I was referring to an earlier time the team was resurrected, not this last time.

Are the admins just supposed to remember who was a leader or member and who was not?
I'm not admin so I dont know if there is a log or something for team creations/joining/leaving etc..(from what you said there isnt) but so youre saying that anyone could revive a team without an admin to verify that? how do you check? free teams for all?
hj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hj »

Yeah, I didn't know that either. I guess the only way to check is to look at a web archive and hope there's a record of it between the following two links:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/guleague.org
http://web.archive.org/web/*/guleague.org/Players

Kind of a pain, but it's doable so long as the team existed long enough to be recorded on there.
-hj
alezakos
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alezakos »

All team join/leave/change leader events will be recorded on the new league site. Even though they are not visible to admins at the moment, it would definitely be very easy to add a feature to show them if needed.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

I'll add that two former members or a former leader are required to reactivate a deleted team.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Here's an update of the rules draft. I changed a few things (indicated by red text for removals and green text for additions), and added messing with the game simulation to the list of penalties (it was already explained in the CLIENTS section) so that penalties are listed for (hopefully) all prohibited conduct.
PLAYERS

Membership in the BZFlag League is available to any BZFlag player who has an understanding of the league rules, is competent enough to follow them, and has not previously had his membership revoked. In order to be eligible for membership, a player must be registered at the BZFlag Bulletin Board (http://forums.bzflag.org) and must establish a user account on the BZFlag League website (http://league.bzflag.net) by logging in at least one time. Upon changing his callsign, a player must log in to the BZFlag League site again to update his callsign before playing any match. Players are considered to be league members upon being added to the league "spawn group" on the BZFlag Bulletin Board, which allows playing and talking privileges on league match servers. A player may have only one account on the spawn list, and must not allow other people to play using his account. A player may renounce his membership by contacting an administrator and requesting to be removed from the spawn group. Administrators are not required to remove and re-add a player from/to the spawn group for the player's convenience or if such requests are unreasonably frequent.

TEAMS

A player may be a member of one BZFlag League team (having a membership on more than one team or maintaining any kind of control over a team while being a member of a different team is prohibited). Any player may start a new team. A team leader is responsible for inviting new members to his team, or configuring his team to be open for anyone to join. A team may have up to 20 players. A player may leave a team (reassigning leadership or disbanding the team first, as necessary) at any time. A disbanded team may be revived by an administrator upon the request of any former member at least two former members or a former leader, and the requesting member will be assigned as the new team leader.

MATCHES

BZFlag League matches are held on official BZFlag League match servers. All official match servers are listed on the BZFlag League website. Multiple map styles are available for use in BZFlag League matches. Matches consist of official matches (between two league teams, with the result recorded and used for team rankings) and funmatches (between two arbitrary groups of players, with the result not counted or recorded). A match may be 15, 20, or 30 minutes in length (excluding pauses). The winner of a match is the team which captured the flag more times than the other team by the end of the match. When a team that captures their own flag on the opposing team's base, that point is counted for the opposing team. If both teams score the same number of captures points, the match is a tie.

A match begins when all players on both teams signal that they are ready and a player initiates the “/official” command (or “/fm” in the case of a funmatch). Matches are strictly voluntary, and no player shall be compelled to match any unwanted opponent nor to agree to any match conditions. All players should rejoin the server prior to or during the countdown, and must not spawn until the countdown has ended. The game timer may be paused when necessary by initiating the command “/pause”, and may be resumed by the command "/resume". Players should not move their tanks when a match is paused, or should re-take their positions prior to resuming the match. If the match must be terminated prematurely, it should be ended with the “/finish” command if it is an official match and the result is to be entered, or “/cancel” otherwise. A match should only be paused for reasonable interruptions or when it is otherwise necessary. Unnecessary or excessively frequent pausing of a match may cause the match to be forfeited by the perpetrating team upon review by the administrators.

An official match must have at least two players from each team present to begin, but may have more (up to the server limit of players for each team), and one team may have more players than the other. Any changes to the players participating in the match require the agreement of all players still involved in the match. Any official match where players are added, removed, or substituted during the match shall be counted as official as long as the changes in participants are agreed to by all other participants. A player who joins a match at any time other than the match beginning shall selfkill upon spawning, except when joining immediately after a capture, or upon substituting another player (the substituting player may take the original player's position).

If one or more of the original match participants leaves before its conclusion, the remaining participants may agree to allow another member of his team to fill his spot in the match. They may also agree to change the number of players on each team in order to even the teams, to continue the match with uneven teams, or to postpone the match until any future time. If they do not agree, then if the team which has lost a player was in the lead (or if the match was tied, and the team losing a player stands to gain points from a tie being entered), the match shall be cancelled. Otherwise, the match shall be forfeited, and the score at the time when the player left shall be entered.

When a match is over, it must be entered on the league website. The server should announce that the match results were automatically entered. In the event of automatic reporting being unsuccessful or incorrect, the winning team (or the lower-ranked team, in the case of a tie) is responsible for reporting the match results to an administrator, who will then enter or correct it on the league website. A match which is manually reported shall include which teams played, each team's score, the date and GMT time when the match ended, that map style which was used, and the length of the match.

CLIENTS (this section moved up ahead of CONDUCT)

Players are encouraged to use the latest version of the BZFlag game client version available for their operating system. However, any client compatible with the protocol version used by official league match servers may be used. An exception is if the BZFlag League administrators announce on the “BZFlag League Discussion" forum of the BZFlag Bulletin Board that a specific outdated client version is no longer allowed, which may be due to any sufficiently compelling reason.

Clients used in any BZFlag League match must be official BZFlag project binaries or built from official BZFlag project release or development code without modifications. Any client modification must be approved by the BZFlag League administrators prior to use, and will be listed in the WHITELIST section of the rules.

Players must not intentionally use any software or hardware program or tool which degrades the performance of their client or the quality of their network connection, or which masquerades the player's identity. Additionally, players must not manipulate any in-game setting nor use any in-game feature while a match is in progress in order to intentionally alter the behavior or consistency of game simulation (for example, using client commands to cause a freeze or stutter, or altering the FPS limit).

CONDUCT

The purpose of the BZFlag League rules is to preserve a friendly and comfortable playing environment. Players who do not observe and follow all BZFlag League rules shall be subject to disciplinary action by being temporarily suspended from league membership, or having their membership permanently revoked for serious offenses. Players who repeatedly or habitually do not comply with the rules will be subject to extended or indefinite suspensions, or permanent revocation of membership.

Upon observing or receiving complaint of player misconduct, BZFlag League administrators have full discretion whether to impose a suspension on the player (and what the length of that suspension may be), to warn the player, or to take no action, as they deem appropriate. Players are reminded that the league administrators come from a variety of backgrounds, and every person may view a situation from a different perspective. Disciplinary action may be taken against a player immediately by any administrator present, or upon review and discussion after the conduct is brought to the administrators' attention.

In addition to the rules enumerated here, any conduct which is clearly inappropriate or malicious toward the league or its players may subject the perpetrator to disciplinary action.

Prohibited conduct is listed below with the corresponding guidelines for how long of a suspension an offender may expect to receive for the offense the first time:

Match disturbance: anything that interferes with a match the player is not involved in, such as joining and playing in a match uninvited, pausing or ending the match, sending unsolicited private messages to a match participant, or excessive talking in public chat (1 - 7 days)

Player harassment: persistent, provocative, offensive, derogatory, annoying, or otherwise harassing comments made to or directed toward another player (1 - 7 days)

Profanity: using obscene, explicit, or offensive language, including acronyms or obfuscations, in public chat, or in team chat or private message to a player who might be offended by it (1 - 7 days)

Cheat accusations in public (1 - 7 days)

Cheating on other servers: using any client modification or external program or tool to gain an unfair advantage while playing on any server other than league match servers (6 - 9 months)

Cheating in the BZFlag League: using the above methods, or manipulating game simulation during a match, on any official league match server at any time (indefinite suspension - permanent revocation)

WHITELIST

(this will contain the whitelist from the GU league)
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Looks good and thorough, Consti. Well done!
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
alfa1
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by alfa1 »

blast wrote:The players of a league should especially be mindful of their sportsmanship. If you're unable to control your use of foul language, then perhaps it's best to unbind the chat keys from your game.

For instance, I would assume most sporting leagues have rules or guidelines against using profanity. Why should the leagues in BZFlag be any different?
http://leagueathletics.com/Page.asp?n=3 ... rseyfc.org
http://www.littleleague.org/learn/newsl ... SPORTS.htm
I agree with blast's post.

To understand virtual environments (Internet), I try to compare them with real ones. Then, I tried to compare BZ with a real sport club, where you pay a membership fee and you have the right to use its facilities.

Then, the behaviour situation comes. When you go to a club, you have to respect others. You don't insult, mistreat nor bother them.

About the authorities, they mind and work for the benefit of the institution.

General message: if you mind about BZ, try to compare it with real life, and act in consecuence.