How to increase activity?

Discussion for Leagues United players
-panda-
Private First Class
Private First Class

How to increase activity?

Post by -panda- »

What defines player activity? Fm's, officials, observers?
Planet mofo has no trouble because they're exciting and introduce new things instead of staying the same, should we try changing some things?

Do any of you have any ideas on how we can make leagues more attractive and get more people playing?

Some examples being.. Turn team flags into geno like on mofo or making teamies unkillable? Increasing shots to 4 on public? They're not particularly serious ideas but i'd like to see if you guys can think of any..

I will try put up a server with all 3 of those just to emphasize the point and see if a little change is good but please just post random ideas, be creative! :)
Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: How to increase activity?

Post by Monster »

New textures for both hix and ducati map?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Ducati uses randomly generated maps, so you'd have to modify the game server to change the textures.

Additionally, there are three types of boxes in BZFlag (with, I believe, similar variations for pyramids): box, meshbox, and "meshed box". The 'box' and 'meshbox' are specific map objects. The "meshed box" is a normal 'box' that has included specific 2.0 features like materials (textures). All three are built differently as far as the geometry goes and may have different physics quirks. So something as simple as adding custom textures to the map may affect how the physics work with relation to the obstacles.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

figurines
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by figurines »

it would be nice if a league map could be the "most played" map...maybe we should try to add an "overlord" type map
quantum dot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by quantum dot »

figurines wrote:it would be nice if a league map could be the "most played" map...maybe we should try to add an "overlord" type map
This is getting close to a Open League re-edition ...
Don't let school interfere with your education.
Mark Twain
-panda-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by -panda- »

All ideas are good, even if they're not going to happen, at least it's out there and can be tested if people like them.
New textures sound good, doesn't have to be on all fo them. Also fig that's not a half bad idea, even if it's not an official server it would give people an idea about leagues, even if all it produces is 10 registrations it's progress.
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

quantum dot wrote:
figurines wrote:it would be nice if a league map could be the "most played" map...maybe we should try to add an "overlord" type map
This is getting close to a Open League re-edition ...
I totally agree. And we all know how open league ended.
-panda-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by -panda- »

What do people think about instead of creating new admins, create player representatives, people that go on a public server, find a random person, get them to register and join the league? (could have a tally chart/monthly winner of who gets the most players, etc) - I'd be happier if those people were more involved in running the league. It seems that once the merger is implemented, what use is a bunch of admins that don't come and keep the activity? There's a reason it takes years to make a simple change to anything on here and it's because the management (not all..) don't have their minds fixed on ever changing things even though the leagues are dying! It's time for a final push because otherwise the leagues that we all know and love will just die.
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

damns3xy wrote: it's because the management (not all..) don't have their minds fixed on ever changing things even though the leagues are dying! It's time for a final push because otherwise the leagues that we all know and love will just die.
I agree 100%
figurines
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by figurines »

If the best part about bzflag is it's competitive league (community), then the most played map should be a league map.

just sayin
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

figurines wrote:If the best part about bzflag is it's competitive league (community), then the most played map should be a league map.

just sayin
Lolz!

You will not find me matching on Apoc! The map would be horrible without flags... It is way to big. And with flags... That'd be a rough one.
figurines
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by figurines »

Perhaps my phrasing wasn't clear enough...

I'm not saying we should make the most popular map a league map, but that the most popular map SHOULD be a league map or have league association etc.

So I guess I'm saying we need to come up with something new and different that appeals to a broad range of players. The only reason I joined league play was due to public pillbox/duc/hix looking appealing in pub servers.

Just sayin
-panda-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by -panda- »

We could have it so all matches including funmatches are logged on the league site.. Also it could show who matched.. Who won.. Make some kind of player activity chart.. Yearly activity winner wins a prize that i'm sure a few interested players could come together and fund. Could even get extra match points for an active player.. Make a monthly activity winners (maybe top 3) (depending on attitude) an admin 3 months, then they can compete again for that as a prize.
hj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hj »

Like all of it minus maybe the very last part.
-hj
-panda-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by -panda- »

had another random idea, what if you could extend the countdown on a match? /extend 10 (example) and whoever wins gets double points, It might sound silly but for example I just tied a match and I was damn wishing there was a way we could continue, is a big gamble for a winning team but it would be fun, right?
hj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hj »

Always believed teams should have a chance to /poll for a sudden-death overtime if it's a tie, but flags would reset. Issue with an /extend 10 is if one team is riiiight about to cap before the countdown ends in a tie, the team that's about to lose would never do that. Alternatively, you could have the two teams spawn on each other's bases with flags reset, so you both start off with the other team's flag. Perhaps a 10 min limit on the overtime period, so if nobody caps, both teams really do earn a tie. Thoughts?
-hj
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Often, when people agree to a match of a certain duration, they don't have time for anything longer.
-panda-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by -panda- »

Well the default is 30 minutes really for an official, this would just be an extra, most people will play for an extra 10 minutes if they can, yeah a poll makes sense to make sure everyone agrees
hj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hj »

Also, sometimes people feel unsatisfied after a 30-min tie and want to rematch, but don't have the time. Having a 10-min sudden death period if the four (or however many) players agree would be a great compromise.
-hj
figurines
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by figurines »

sudden death matches sound great!
first cap wins
yaya shorter matches!
hj
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hj »

I meant it as an addendum to the original 30-min tie, but it could be an interesting game mode if people are interested.
-hj
figurines
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by figurines »

Anyone want to meet up at a set time and play some sudden death Fun Matches? Test it out a bit?