Why are there only like 30 people playing BZFLAG at one time

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
ZE BOZZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Why are there only like 30 people playing BZFLAG at one

Post by ZE BOZZ »

I don't think that's a fair assumption by any means.
•• •• •• •• ••
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien
badgerking
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by badgerking »

I don't think it was the geno flag. I allowed it on my server, along with the rogue geno settings, so that rogues could be managed more effectively. I think what has been the biggest detriment is console gaming. I know I am guilty of not playing bzflag much anymore, haven't hosted a server in years. One of the things that impacted my activity was the introduction of the v2 release and the map object changes. I believe it slowed things down and caused people to focus on making visually appealing maps and not maps that were enjoyable to play. There were also Windows client issues, at least with my hardware, which caused the game to be unplayable for several years --I'm not joking. One thing I do miss are all of the old timers. Many of them were good friends, even when only online, and there was something about just connecting and chatting while playing.
King RuMbl3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by King RuMbl3r »

This game simply needs more Publicity.... wasn't it getting it back in the day???
This thread is useless as these are sub-issues that have been mentioned, the real question is what are the owners doing to get the game out there via advertising/marketing ,etc.
Surely they could make one of those annoying game ads of bzflag and put it on youtube, etc.
Note: :arrow: People have lives.... There was a time when this game was an escape from my reality which I felt I couldn't change.
A beloved distraction from my passions. Hope the youngers recognise this and have more self control :book:
"Everyone is entitled to their own deluded opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts... Otherwise the truth would never exist".
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

_King RuMbl3r_ wrote:This game simply needs more Publicity.... wasn't it getting it back in the day???
This thread is useless as these are sub-issues that have been mentioned, the real question is what are the owners doing to get the game out there via advertising/marketing ,etc.
Surely they could make one of those annoying game ads of bzflag and put it on youtube, etc.
Note: :arrow: People have lives.... There was a time when this game was an escape from my reality which I felt I couldn't change.
A beloved distraction from my passions. Hope the youngers recognise this and have more self control :book:
And who is going to pay?
retired
joevano
General
General

Post by joevano »

_King RuMbl3r_ wrote:This thread is useless as these are sub-issues that have been mentioned, the real question is what are the owners doing to get the game out there via advertising/marketing ,etc.
More importantly... who are these "owners" you speak of?
There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity. -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
"How many legs does a dog have if you call his tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg." -- Abraham Lincoln
Kitsune
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Kitsune »

It's been some time since I've seen zero players in the game; have just re-experienced the scenery just now.
sailor
Private
Private

Post by sailor »

Yeah, whats up recently? Maybe just a slow period. I think that BZFlag needs a little more advertisment, pass the word on! Open source does not have a marketing budget...:)
sailor
San Antonio, Texas
King RuMbl3r
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by King RuMbl3r »

joevano wrote:
_King RuMbl3r_ wrote:This thread is useless as these are sub-issues that have been mentioned, the real question is what are the owners doing to get the game out there via advertising/marketing ,etc.
Well i'd assume tim riker? the only name I see in the dialogue in game. :book:
"Everyone is entitled to their own deluded opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts... Otherwise the truth would never exist".
DFTT
Private
Private

Post by DFTT »

joevano wrote:
BZFlag has always been an open source game meaning that you are essentially the owner. The community is its own owner.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

DFTT wrote:BZFlag has always been an open source game meaning that you are essentially the owner. The community is its own owner.
The game was actually not always open-source. My understanding is that from 1992 to maybe 2000 or 2001, it was closed-source (or at least not released under an open-source license). And there is still a copyright holder, so there is an "owner", even though they have extended various rights to the code and assets to the public.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

snick
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by snick »

The issue is the weather. We play this game for a bit of escapism: sunny days and blue skies. In their wisdom, the devs have given the game clouds :(