Pause/spawn camping possiblity

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Pause/spawn camping possiblity

Post by Zehra »

hi I think I may have found a little issue that allows camping without a flag.
when pressing the pause button it takes 5 seconds to pause, but un-pause is instant.
which in CTF when tanks spawn at their own base, after flag capture.
which technically allows someone to remain paused at opponents base waiting for flag capture.
as soon as flag is captured they un-pause to make spawn kills.

:?:
(P.S. more posts on the way)
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Re: Pause/spawn camping possiblity

Post by blast »

That would be something that a server admin could take care of. Anywhere from simply issuing a /kill on that player, verbally warning them, kicking them (and banning them of the behavior continues). If enough players are put off by the behavior, a poll kick or poll ban could be attempted, but that's usually hard to take care of on two team CTF servers for issues like that, where the bad behavior of a member of one's own team is benefiting that team.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

a) Please explain how it would something that the server admin would could take care of, as I noticed the same thing by:

#1 Started BZFLag client.

#2 Selected Join Game

#3 Selected Start Server.

#4 There are different options there, but I selected Start.

#5 Once I saw the words Server Started under Start, go back one step (ESC by default).

#6 Select Connect

#7 Span on server my server that I just created.

#8 By default pause and unpause key is the letter P.

b) Will try running the server against my self ( autopilot as need be or a second computer) as need be to see if I can stay paused during a team capture... ;)

[EDIT] Verified. You can not stay paused if the other team captures your flag, but by default you sure can stay paused if your team captures the other team flag.

By default, I mean I did not change the source code in any way.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Answering my own question. :roll:

Seriously, the only thing that I can think of: They could have a world weapon in the map so that if there is a team capture, automatically there is a shock wave near the base that got there team flag captured.

Of course, they have to add this feature to the map if this feature is not there already. ;)
ZE BOZZ
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ZE BOZZ »

Some maps already have it but it will not affect someone who is paused.
•• •• •• •• ••
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens." - J.R.R. Tolkien
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

trpted wrote:Please explain how it would something that the server admin would could take care of, as I noticed the same thing by
I provided several examples of how a server admin (or players on the server) could deal with this behavior issue. What part would you like more explanation on?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Is pause camping currently banned along with cheating?
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Depends on the server. I'd say in general it'd at least be worth a /kill. When I ran Missile Wars 2.3, I would /kill people who sat paused outside of their base.

trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Ok, while I did not verify that
Some maps already have it but it will not affect someone who is paused.
and I have reason to believe that is true: Using World Weapon near the base, but this time a little bit different.

Instead of on capture, it protects the base.

Currently: One can go to the other team's base, grab their flag, and bring it to your base.

New: One can not go into the other team's zone and one has to be in a neutral zone (outside of the other team's zone) to grab the other's team flag and bring it to your base?

Thanks
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

So you couldn't go grab a flag on the opponent's base? Wouldn't they just leave their flag there?
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

World weapon does not simply effect a tank that is paused.
Simply there would need to be a plugin that does not allow one to pause on a teams base.
Also there should be a new regulation that bans pause camping.
(please note this is a fix that may or may not work.)

Latest 101 thread
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

You're trying to find an issue where one doesn't exist. As blast mentioned, if a person abuses this, then they will be warned/killed/kicked/banned by an admin; that's how it can be handled. If you insist, you can write a plugin that keeps track of times a player has paused in the last X minutes and kill/kick/whatever.

There's no need for a rule either, just play fair.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

allejo wrote:You're trying to find an issue where one doesn't exist. As blast mentioned, if a person abuses this, then they will be warned/killed/kicked/banned by an admin; that's how it can be handled. If you insist, you can write a plugin that keeps track of times a player has paused in the last X minutes and kill/kick/whatever.

There's no need for a rule either, just play fair.
In some ways I have to agree with you allejo.
allejo wrote:You're trying to find an issue where one doesn't exist..
It is an issue that does not exist, I have to admit, an issue that does not exist yet.
Sometimes there will not be an admin on the servers.
The main idea behind a behind a rule would be so pause campers wouldn't say "why were we banned, we didn't break any rules".

Latest 101 thread
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

Bans require a message and this message is displayed to the user when they try to join and are rejected. Provided the admin puts a message like, "Abusing of pausing to not get killed" should suffice :)
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Is there a plug-in that prevents this kind of abuse?

Thanks
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

trpted wrote:Is there a plug-in that prevents this kind of abuse?

Thanks
Not to my knowledge.
But they should make one to prevent pause campers from starting.

Latest 101 thread
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

So in 24 years of BZFlag, nobody has reported a problem with this, then you come here, put the idea in people's heads, and suggest that someone else create a plugin to fix for the problem you just created?

We need people to bring solutions, not more problems.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Constitution wrote:So in 24 years of BZFlag, nobody has reported a problem with this, then you come here, put the idea in people's heads, and suggest that someone else create a plugin to fix for the problem you just created?

We need people to bring solutions, not more problems.
I thought that I could potentially address a possible issue.
By bringing it into the forums I thought that the potential problem may be resolved before an issue would emerge.
I would have not come on the forums, if I had the skill set to work on an issue. :!:

Latest 101 thread
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

This thread is not productive, so I am locking it.