What was attractive about this game?

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
macsforme
General
General

What was attractive about this game?

Post by macsforme »

What did you find attractive about this game when you first found it? And what did you find that made you want to stay?

Also, if this game was re-made, what parts of it would you definitely want to see again? What parts would you be more than happy to get rid of?

I'll start. When I first started playing online (going beyond LAN games with my siblings), the words felt real and solid. I could jump up onto blocks, fall off of them, drive into them (and they would stop me), and ricochet shots off of them. What you see was what you got. There were no complicated physics that would be difficult to figure out. Also, the worlds I liked (overlord and babel, mostly) were big enough that you could run around and explore or feel it out a little bit without having to be constantly in the action (unless someone was hunting you). Even though I had to learn new skills for years, I felt from the very beginning like I understood how it worked (at least once I figured out how to lock on with a Guided Missile :P).

What would I change if we started over?

While all the BZDB settings make for some variety, some people have used that to completely alter physics and core gameplay elements, which means some skills (like precise movement, dodging and timing of shots) don't transition over between maps. I would prefer that very few gameplay dynamics be modifiable (say, for example, the wings jump count, and perhaps allowing the Shield flag to take a certain number of hits, and maybe a few other things like that).

I would also probably want to eliminate most of the 2.0+ map objects. There have been a lot of maps that have better eye candy than actual playable designs. The one useful feature of meshes I can think of is one-way shoot-through panes (like on Missile War), but the same could be done with a teleporter or zero-thickness box. Also, with three different kinds of solid geometry (boxes, meshboxes, and meshes), each with its own physics behavior, there is a lot of inconsistency in behavior and some problems that have come up (like trying to teleport from on top of a box to on top of a mesh). During BZFlag's heyday, it was generally the 1.x maps that were the most popular and seemed like they worked the best. If the game only had a single set of basic geometry types (the 1.x objects, with some minor enhancements), then we could focus on making those objects more graphically detailed and visually appealing, and avoid so much complication. Oh, and I would fix the glitch that lets you shoot through the ramp or through the base on HiX. :P

The last few things would just be some basic modernization and refinement. This would include standard input controls and settings that actually work for competition, a simplified menu interface that accepts mouse (and maybe even touch) input, improved atmosphere/weather visual/audio support, and implementing LUA script support for things like AI bots, tutorial mode, server/client customization, etc. This would also include some internal enhancements like making world initialization more straightforward and OOP-based (so you could launch a game from the client without needing the external server binary), some kind of better solution for lag than we have now, and some other icing on the cake. Oh, and of course a complete re-do of the world/tank/effects rendering using the more modern shader pipeline, which should reduce the performance cost of more detailed graphics, make the game more visually appealing for modern tastes and make the game more future-proof.

What would your desires be?
macsforme
General
General

Re: What was attractive about this game?

Post by macsforme »

Also, here's an example mockup of a more modern menu interface we could use. I would still want to enhance it a little bit with some basic animations, an illusion of depth, lighting, etc.

Attachments
new menu layout.png
(55.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

I say there is one major problem that should be reworked and that are the graphics.

Every time I show the game to a friend or try to convince them, the graphics pull them away every single time before even trying.

I was introduced to the game when I was considerably very young, I was too young to actually compare BZFlag to other mainstream computer games. I just played it and didn't really became active until nine years old. What I really liked was my recently new learned skill at Planet Mofo (my favorite map back then) of being able to dodge between bullets by looking at the HUD. I started getting high scores there and kept playing. Honestly, it was the GU League that would continue me playing the game because of the competition involved. I didn't care too much for graphics, so the game play was attractive to me.

Keep the physics, ricochets, and just generally how it works. It's what makes BZFlag unique from other tank games or even FPS'es. Improve how competitive play works. Change the entire GUI, UI, and all the graphics. Make GUI clickable and change the server list to a lobby system. A suggestion is to also make the BZFlag.org page heavy with eye candy and much more "pretty" to download to start with. Provide amazing screenshots that will showcase brilliant graphics in the game because this is what the player always look at before downloading.

On the gameplay side, make newbies have a tutorial and training system. A densed tutorial is a key for retention. As they learn new skills, they want to come back to put those good skills to use.
retired
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

A key note that I'd like to emphasize is retention.

The toughest step in games is actually considering it enough to download it. That's where a beautiful, professional main site comes in to play and media... Screenshots, videos, etcetera. This is why graphics are so important. Remove all current graphics and rework them for a modern taste.

The second toughest step in games is retention. This is where things get more tricky.

A strong, straightforward, informative tutorial is significant. When the game starts, give them that tutorial immediately. There should be two major parts to the tutorial. The first part would be learning the controls to the game. The controls should be changed to become more modern. Teach them the most basic of shots and the most basic of jumping. Automatically give them lined shots and a medium sized radar and high light that radar. The second part should be AI matches. Use simple robots that will play with the player. This will subconsciously retent the player to come back because they have put their newly learned controls in simple bot games.

Difficulty is another key for retention. Keep it easy in the beginning! Don't let them play with the seasonal players no matter what. Never give the illusion of immense difficulty in the beginning. Honestly, we don't have a large enough player base to divide players in divisons, but that would be imperative.

Always subconsciously reward the player when you can! Let them know that their improvement is rewarded.

Create an illusion of professionalism in the game. Although this may not be as significant in the beginning, is it the first step to becoming a mainstream game and illuding the player to continue playing.
retired
kaadmy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by kaadmy »

I'd like shaders and mostly graphical improvements; customizable tanks would also be nice :)
The UI is also hard to understand currently; mouse controls should be implemented.
I think the main focus of BZFlag is now competitive, so there should be an emphasis on that.
Tamarack
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tamarack »

The first thing that really drew me into this game was the people behind the tanks. Honestly when I first saw my brothers playing it I thought it looked pretty terrible and repetitive. :P The lack of aesthetics almost dissuaded me from playing the game, but my brothers begged me to play with them. When I finally did, the culture, friendliness, and diversity won me over and I played actively for a solid 3-4 years until life got too busy to be active on a daily basis.

I think the basic gameplay that we currently have is great. Really fun and addictive, but it just needs to be slightly more pleasing to the eye, and easy to understand quickly. Maybe tutorials, and/or quick overview instructions. Also, have options to change the forums and game to other languages to encourage the fascinating mix of cultures and number of players.
Long live BZFlag! :)
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

The simple graphic design, and the depth in gameplay.
This is what is enjoyable. Not the modern complex games of today (BZFlag does not count).
Perhaps an offline version would be nice. or a small version to watch matches from your phone.
But the main thing that is nice is that there is the complexity in the depth of gameplay, rather then a complex game.
This is what makes BZFlag attractive.

-Zehra
Last edited by Zehra on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by click click boom »

What did you find attractive about this game when you first found it? And what did you find that made you want to stay?

1.What I found so attractive was that it was free, this was pretty rare 15 years ago (when i started), most games at that time seem to cost money. What made me stay was the activity and competition. I love big time gaming, I don't play games just for fun, it's more of a sport for myself and BZFLag offers that for me along with some other games I play.

Also, if this game was re-made, what parts of it would you definitely want to see again? What parts would you be more than happy to get rid of?

2.The game is perfect for my taste, but to draw some more in, a better GUI would be needed, mouse activated and not keyboard. Better graphics for the new time gamer. I think what this game needs is most is a new game engine that prohibits cheating so that the playing field is even.

3.Honestly I do not think this game needs to "get rid" of anything, additions would be the best.

4. I am guessing you are asking these guys because you "might" want to close BZFlag and start it under a new development, this may or may not be your intentions but if it is I ask that you rebuild BZFlag in a way that it can be added the the Andriod Market to increase the users. New phones could easily support such a simple game and now a days you can hook up a keyboard to a tablet so the game could easily be played off of a keyboard. On top of the android market promoting this game under steam would be great. If this requires it being a closed source game I am all for it. There are free games on steam.
Mopar Madness
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Mopar Madness »

I agree and disagree with you, Const, on the mesh/meshbox/box thing. I think it does need to be fixed so there's only one type of geometry/physics, but it should probably be the mesh instead. Yeah, a lot of the maps now days are more eye candy than functional, but that's the fault of the map makers, not the objects and some of the best, most fun, and coolest looking maps were the ones that took advantage of the mesh objects. There were a few maps back in the day that were fun just to drive around in, taking the map in, like the Brave New World map. Look at Spazzy's and Louman's maps, especially "It's not the fall that kills you" by Spazzy, they were beautiful, well made, and functional maps that took advantage of the 2.0+ objects (and 3.0+ in the case of Spazzy's) to enhance the map. Mesh and Meshbox always seemed kinda buggy and half-finished, I would fix the bugs with the mesh and have all the other objects be defined shapes for meshes. Lastly, BZEdit is horribly outdated, if you want better BZFlag maps, the game needs a more powerful map editor.
Snake12534
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Snake12534 »

click click boom wrote:What did you find attractive about this game when you first found it? And what did you find that made you want to stay?

1.What I found so attractive was that it was free, this was pretty rare 15 years ago (when i started), most games at that time seem to cost money. What made me stay was the activity and competition. I love big time gaming, I don't play games just for fun, it's more of a sport for myself and BZFLag offers that for me along with some other games I play.

2.The game is perfect for my taste, but to draw some more in, a better GUI would be needed, mouse activated and not keyboard. Better graphics for the new time gamer. I think what this game needs is most is a new game engine that prohibits cheating so that the playing field is even.

3.Honestly I do not think this game needs to "get rid" of anything, additions would be the best.

4. I am guessing you are asking these guys because you "might" want to close BZFlag and start it under a new development, this may or may not be your intentions but if it is I ask that you rebuild BZFlag in a way that it can be added the the Andriod Market to increase the users. New phones could easily support such a simple game and now a days you can hook up a keyboard to a tablet so the game could easily be played off of a keyboard. On top of the android market promoting this game under steam would be great. If this requires it being a closed source game I am all for it. There are free games on steam.

I agree with everything click click boom said.
I play BZFlag for the competition as well.
A better GUI is needed with support for mouse.
Better graphics are necessary for the new time gamers these days. They're more pickier than ever.

Edit: The reason why most of us are suggesting new graphics is because we need new and more players. I'm sure those who are seasonal players are fine with the graphics. Graphics are the first thing to pull in a player, even more so than the mechanics at times.

"I think what this game needs is most is a new game engine that prohibits cheating so that the playing field is even."

This is so vital. You can literally change a few lines of code, compile that, and you're now a cheater.

If this requires it being a closed source game I am all for it.

I know that certain BZFlag developers are against closed source games, but in order to push certain changes to the game, it may be necessary. Also, BZFlag needs a way to make money to further push its development. Whether its by donations or even putting advertisements on these webpages.

I like the idea of the mobile market but it may require a bit of work and/or major changes. I say we keep this as a last option.
retired
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Right now I don't think anyone is imminently planning a re-write or clone of this game, but as it gets more and more outdated, and as issues with licensing and management/leadership persist, a project to clone the game may ultimately be the best option. That is why I like having this discussion, so that we can distill the many positive thoughts people have about this game into articulable ideas so we can make sure we re-capture them.

The graphics system, artwork, models and user interface would likely be completely rebuilt in such a project. I can see that is an issue of concern for many people.

The issue of cheating and making the game closed-source (or having closed-source elements) is an discussion that is repeatedly brought up here. I doubt making that re-creating the game and making it closed-source is viable while keeping it truly free of cost for the end user. It would be difficult to get people to contribute to such a project, and you would have to set up controls for who should get access, not to mention the lack of motivation for helping with something that isn't free for you to use as you like and the stigma against closed-source software in certain circles. Even though more games are free (or more commnly "freemium") these days, as CCB astutely pointed out, the fact that the game is free is one of its main attractions.

That being said, there is more that we can do to combat cheating, with a server that is more aware of game state and leaving out features (like certain flags) that depend on trusting the client not to circumvent them, like forced fog, jamming/no radar, burrow radar zoom limit, cloaking, masquerade, teleporter fog, etc. We would lose a few features, and we would need a change in mentality, but it can be done.

Mopar, I agree with you to an extent that properly-done 2.0+ maps can be fun (although my memory of those that heavily used those features and were really popular is limited to a small handful). What I'm envisioning is that if we keep the geometry definition to the most popular basic set, then we can let the rendering engine go to town on the extra polish stuff. Rather than defining mesh faces with colors, textures, UV coordinates, transparency, texture matrices, dynamic colors, etc. (which is pretty limited by today's standards), we can just define the location, transformations, and type of each geometry piece, and the engine can give us parallax/bump/normal mapping, soft shadows, atmospheric effects, reflective lighting, grass that has actual depth and movement, and even water with waves, reflection, refraction, and depth color on maps that use water. By simplifying the front end, we can greatly enhance the backend. If you put a mesh like we have now next to that, it simply won't fit in. I know trepan started some fancy LUA stuff for custom shaders, but that may be beyond the abilities of any of our current developers. In my mind, we should favor simplicity over complexity.

Also, you want a map editor that is powerful, but you also want mesh support. If we are going to have meshes, then a map editor basically needs to be a full-blown modeler (of which several good ones exist already, and which would be complicated for us to create and support).

I would also be in favor of a mobile client, especially for tablets where you can connect a keyboard or gamepad and basically have the same thing as a laptop. Not all of our current developers agree, but if others are willing to support it, I hope those holding out would at least tolerate it.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

One thing that makes BZFlag attractive is the fact that it is open-source.
That's why I came over and started playing.
if it would be a closed-source program, that could turn away a lot of people who have been here.

-Zehra
Last edited by Zehra on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
valera_rozuvan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by valera_rozuvan »

Hi all!

A little bit about me. My name is Valera Rozuvan. I have been playing BZFlag in the past (2005/2006 season). Since then, I have been on-and-off on the BZFlag servers. I don't like where BZFlag is heading, and it's current state. I have followed the BZFlag forums, not participating in the discussions until now. I have experience in creating large web applications, complex servers (PHP, Python, Node.js), systems programming (C/C++), and also 3D graphics (games, computer vision, rendering). I have a burning desire to create a "Better BZFlag Clone"!

Now, on to the main topic :)

Late last year (2015), I have posted @ freenode / #bzflag about my idea to create a "Better BZFlag Clone". The main points made by me (and still are):

1. Open source. In the spirit of original free and open source BZFlag.
2. Similar game play. Similar mechanics. Maybe a simplification of the world a bit (reduction of the number of "fancy" flags). The idea is that an old player playing the "Better BZFlag Clone" should get the feeling like he is playing the original BZFlag, but with 10x better everything :)
3. Using OpenGL 3+ from the start. Better graphics. Modern graphics feel.
4. Complete rewrite. A.k.a. a clone - and not a fork!
5. Support for mobile platforms (Google Play, Apple App Store, etc.). Support for embedded systems (Raspberry Pi, etc.).
6. Complete rethink of BZFlag server. It needs to be in complete control over game state (prevent cheating). It also needs to manage players and their level, game matches, chat, etc. One can look at http://battle.net to see the direction I intend to push in.
7. Tutorials, better single player, maybe a campaign :) . Basically, what a modern player expects to find in the game first time he plays it. New players must get a feel for the game before they are exposed to online play.
8. A web site representing the project with a modern look and feel. With videos of game play, cool screenshots, documentation, tutorials. i18n and friends. Maybe a YouTube channel. Basically, Public Relations is a very important concept!
9. Last but NOT LEAST! A good foundation for the whole concept of the "Better BZFlag Clone". What I mean by this is something like The Linux Foundation http://www.linuxfoundation.org/ . Also, from the start, the project should have a solid manifesto. Take a look, for example, at The Debian Manifesto https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/proj ... to.en.html . I want to make it so that the "Better BZFlag Clone" doesn't end up in the same state that the current BZFlag is in (the politics, the licensing issues, code ownership, project leadership, etc.)

So, you see, I have quite a few ideas as to how this future "Better BZFlag Clone" should be like :) Like the fellow user Constitution, I am also eager to hear from you what are some good things and bad things in the current BZFlag game - as you see them. Don't worry, we can think big! We will start small, but we will grow big!

PS: If you want to contact me directly, don't hesitate to write to valera.rozuvan@gmail.com !
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I of course, have no idea what you are talking about....
STG.png
(1.36 MiB) Not downloaded yet
ImageJeffM
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

JeffM wrote:I of course, have no idea what you are talking about....
STG.png
Is that a game that users can play OR is it more of a demo?

Thank you
valera_rozuvan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by valera_rozuvan »

trpted wrote:Is that a game that users can play OR is it more of a demo?
I think the screenshot is from the game ThinkTanks. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkTanks .
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Nope,but the art style is similar. That's from a functional multiplayer test app, with a mock up GUI. It s playable but not pretty
ImageJeffM
Exuro
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Exuro »

I of course, have no idea what you are talking about....
STG.png
(1.36 MiB) Not downloaded yet

This is based on the Unity3d tutorial/ training from the Unitiy Boston 2015 training day.
You can download the whole project and create it with the free unity3d engine.

More Info here:
http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/proj ... s-tutorial

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paLLfWd2k5A
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Yes, it's simply an example showing how easy multi-player games are to make when using the right engine.
ImageJeffM
valera_rozuvan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by valera_rozuvan »

JeffM - you have sent me a direct private message. I can't reply to it, because it seems you have turned off private messages for yourself... :)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Yeah, I am kind of a jerk :)
ImageJeffM
valera_rozuvan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by valera_rozuvan »

OK folks! It's me again = ) Things are starting to get into shape for my vision of a BZFlag clone. Please take a look at https://github.com/valera-rozuvan/bbzfc . This is the place were further technical discussion will be taking place.

Join IRC for live chat here: @freenode / #bbzfc .

Join Slack for live chat here: https://bbzfc.slack.com/ (drop me an e-mail at valera.rozuvan@gmail.com and I will invite you to the Slack chat, if it doesn't let you join).
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Seems like an interesting vision for a clone of BZFlag.

-Zehra
Last edited by Zehra on Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Latest 101 thread
valera_rozuvan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by valera_rozuvan »

Flak 18 wrote:are you trying to get current users of bzflag with a clone? certainly seems like it.
Well, obviously, the first target audience I am after are the original game players and developers of BZFlag :) But then again, I am sure not everyone here will go along with me :) It's everyone's individual responsibility (and right!) to chose for themselves the path they take. I know the path that I am taking! What's yours?
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Any effort to rebuild the game from scratch should intend to meet the needs of the current community. Otherwise it might as well be a different game.

Whether such an effort would succeed, or ultimately inherit our existing community, is likely difficult or impossible to predict at this point. Take a look at the current state of the project and decide for yourself whether you would want it to.