Linux devs open up universal Ubuntu Snap packages to other

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Linux devs open up universal Ubuntu Snap packages to other

Post by trpted »

If I posted this in the wrong area, please notify a mod/an admin so that it can be moved to the right area.

Since full title did not fit into subject line, so here it is

Linux devs open up universal Ubuntu Snap packages to other distros.

Info from http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/14 ... _packages/

-> For the packagers: http://snapcraft.io/

Could even run on Windows and Android. Unknown by me if it work on a Mac/Apple, but I guess so.

Anyways, do you think BZFlag will be one of the snap packages added ?

If so (or not) why (or why not)?

And only if so, how soon do are you planning to add it?

Thank you
etigah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Linux devs open up universal Ubuntu Snap packages to oth

Post by etigah »

I don't know about Snap packages, but there is Appimage which I tried a few times and find pretty good. Also https://portablelinuxgames.org/ has so many games bundled using it.
Bullet Catcher
Captain
Captain

Post by Bullet Catcher »

I think our first preference is for Linux distros to continue to package BZFlag the same way as their other software.

If I understand correctly, Snaps require the operating system to support "snapd". But if you can install that, you can just install BZFlag using the same process (yum, apt-get, etc., or compile it yourself).

What value do you think Snaps would add to BZFlag?
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by trpted »

Unknown for sure, please read the whole page. Here are some of the things that I noticed is/are.
Snap, originally developed for Ubuntu's mobile flavor of Linux, is a way of packaging an application with all the dependencies it needs to run in isolation. This means it's easier to run on any device, and the main operating system doesn't risk suffering a Total Inability To Support Usual Performance (TITSUP) if an application gets a dodgy upgrade.
Data flows are tightly controlled and the application is held in relative isolation. Updates can be issued on the fly at far lower risk; if the update fails midstream it's cancelled, and if it's buggy the app can automatically roll back to its previous incarnation.
Data flows are tightly controlled and the application is held in relative isolation. Updates can be issued on the fly at far lower risk; if the update fails midstream it's cancelled, and if it's buggy the app can automatically roll back to its previous incarnation.