Mouse pointer alignment with mouse box is wrong

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Agent Dad
Private
Private

Mouse pointer alignment with mouse box is wrong

Post by Agent Dad »

Hard to describe this issue clearly but bear with me...

Very new Windows computer, running Windows 10, installed BZFlag 2.4.8. I start the game but the mouse pointer isn't aligned properly with the mouse box. Specifically, the neutral position of the pointer is at the far right, bottom of the screen. In other words, the place where the tank is stopped is when the mouse pointer is far right, bottom. If I try to position the mouse inside the mouse box where it should be stopped, the tank moves forward and turns left.

I can't find any setting to define where the neutral position of the mouse pointer should be.

I have tried running the game in Windows 7 and Windows XP compatibility mode, with no improvement. Then I installed version 2.4.6 and tried it, with no improvement.

One other thing, this new computer has a very high screen resolution (3840x2160). I'm suspecting that the game is going something incompatible with a resolution that high.

Any ideas?
Agent Dad
Private
Private

Re: Mouse pointer alignment with mouse box is wrong

Post by Agent Dad »

Found the issue. Apparently BZFlag is not compatible with Windows 10's "scaling" feature -- regardless of whether the game is run in compatibility mode. At first, my scaling was set to 350% (because of the super high resolution) and by having the scaling set to 350%, the alignment of the mouse pointer to the mouse box is affected (even though it should not be).

Setting the scaling back to 100% fixes the issue.

However, it's not practical to run this computer with the scaling set to 100%, so I won't be playing BZFlag until this bug gets fixed.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

For now, you can use BZFlag 2.4.4. I had fixed HiDPI scaling in 2.4.4, then broke it again in 2.4.6 when I switched from native Windows platform code to using SDL2 (which caused it to skip the code I had added that told Windows we were DPI-aware). I will work on fixing this for the soon to be released 2.4.10.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

And just for some closure on this thread, this issue should be fixed with the 2.4.10 build we released last month.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)