All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
hamidi
Private First Class
Private First Class

951225 - can't create server on Windows

Post by hamidi »

bzflag ver: 2.4.8

hi
the problem is that it says that it has created the server. it takes no time. in Linux it takes some milliseconds for the server to be created, but in Windows it takes no time. it seems that it has not created the server while it produces no error. when i go to join to the created server it says that no server was found. i think it says right, because a real server is not created. all of this is done on a single Windows PC and i try to join to localhost, but i can't.

what's wrong and what i've to do?
blast
General
General

Re: 951225 - can't create server on Windows

Post by blast »

On Windows, it doesn't like joining 'localhost', so try 127.0.0.1 instead.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

hamidi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hamidi »

ur right, but it's still erroneous. it changed to:
Error connecting to server
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you want error output, you'll have to run the server (bzfs) yourself manually. The start server menu isn't perfect.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

hamidi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hamidi »

oh ok. now i can connect to myself. but on the same subnet, others can't join
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The start server menu is just for LAN games. Public servers are more involved to setup (including port forwarding for systems behind NAT), and public listing requires a public server key.

hamidi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hamidi »

it's just LAN
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Sorry, I had misread your message. Then you may have a firewall on your computer.

hamidi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hamidi »

no, there's no firewall on the network, because i can create server on the same network "in linux" and others can join .
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Windows has a firewall enabled by default. Linux, generally, does not. And just to verify, you are providing the IP of the host computer on the other systems, not 127.0.0.1, right?

hamidi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hamidi »

sorry for delay, i was on vacation.
about firewall verification, let's put both server and client on the same machine. i can't connect to the server in such condition too. i put server ip to 127.0.0.1 or localhost. in both situations, it doesn't work.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

127.0.0.1 points to whatever computer you are on on. It's the loopback address. If the server is on computer A and you try to join 127.0.0.1 on computer B, it will not work, because it is trying to join a server running on server B, when it's actually running on A. You have to use the IP of the actual network interface if you want to connect, which for a typical home LAN is going to be something starting with 192.168.

hamidi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by hamidi »

oh sure, i know about net. i create the server on the same machine. consider a single pc. indeed others are on LAN, but not going out of my pc. both server and client, as i said, are on the same pc.