Introduction of new game mode?

Discussion for Leagues United players
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Introduction of new game mode?

Post by allejo »

So we all love a good game of CTF but something I've been wanting to see for a while is the introduction of a new game mode to the league. I'd like your feedback for the possibility of introducing All Hands on Deck (AHOD). There is currently a server with said game mode available on allejo.public.leaguesunited.org:5192.

As BulletCatcher brought up on IRC, the concept has always been hard to introduce as a public server but my hope is that league players will enjoy the challenge of it and develop new strategies and tactics. The points system is no different from CTF, so matches will still be displayed on the league website correctly and I've quietly updated League Overseer to report match points (I hope...) a while ago in preparation for AHOD matches.

So... What do you think?

P.S. I wrote this before I brought it up with the rest of the council, so... Surprise!
click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Introduction of new game mode?

Post by click click boom »

Eh.. I believe c3po made it way back or blast? Anyways that part isn't relevant. I'm not a big fan of it and I vote no.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

I am all about options for playing style. Nothing wrong with having choices.

AHOD can be fun when players understand the goals and the team work involved. I'd welcome seeing it as part of the options in LU.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Curious what the percentage break down of maps ayed between offis and then offis and fm.. got one allejo?
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

Post by allejo »

click click boom wrote:Eh.. I believe c3po made it way back or blast?
Original concept/map was by trepan. Then updated by several others
click click boom wrote:Curious what the percentage break down of maps ayed between offis and then offis and fm.. got one allejo?
I don't have any stats, but you could look at the number of matches (official and fm) on the league's map page. Keep in mind, HiX and Ducati take into account all of the matches from GU and Duc respectively. Any further aggregation/stats would have to be done through web scraping or the site host would have to be interested in the stats to analyze it himself from the database.
Bertman
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Bertman »

I think a bit more variety would be a good thing. I do like the AHOD map and think it would be a wonderful addition. I agree that it is better when people understand what is going on..

Bertman
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Although I'm personally a fan of AHOD, I fail to see how a game style that is rarely used on public servers will fare any better in the league.

Also, I disagree with the assertion that having more options is universally positive, but I diverge somewhat. I am, however, in favor of considering gameplay styles other than CTF in the league, if such styles are demonstrably successful.
indy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by indy »

AHOD is really fun concept. I actually like playing this map. If it is LU, then players will quickly catch on and tactics will come to light. Right now, it is anyones game and chaotic, that will fix itself real quick if it is actual teammates playing.
To me, the downfall is solely on players not knowing. That won't be a factor in League Play.

I think the map can demonstrate success if in LU. I am in strong favor of it.

-Indy
indy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by indy »

Also, I am in favor of that map that passes the flag into soccer goals, BZMatchball is it?
Another great concept and players have a lot of fun. Can be simply adjusted at full size field and then 'mini'.
-Indy
click click boom
Private First Class
Private First Class

Allejo: pretty sure trepan is c3po former dev?
Wow, that map has been out for 12 years already I remember when he launched it..
I just think adding more options doesn't fix the problem the most active teams probabaly won't play it.. babel is played in a official probabaly a couple of times a month.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

click click boom wrote:Allejo: pretty sure trepan is c3po former dev?
Nope. https://github.com/BZFlag-Dev/bzflag/blob/2.4/AUTHORS
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Monster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Monster »

I am not against the introduction of new game modes in general, but I dislike both ahod and bzmatchball as league maps because I feel like they lend themselves to nonserious gameplay
indy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by indy »

Monster wrote:I am not against the introduction of new game modes in general, but I dislike both ahod and bzmatchball as league maps because I feel like they lend themselves to nonserious gameplay
If it becomes an official match, doesn't that make is 'serious' gameplay?

These maps are static, thereby the field of play becomes something you can get to master and have consistent tactics, moves, shots, etc.. To me, that is just as respectable.

-Indy