Name stealing

Talk between players of the game about the game ( no personal attacks )
t3t4
Private
Private

Name stealing

Post by t3t4 »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but not to the game. I suck at playing the game but I have fun while being blown to smithereens every 15 seconds. I don't know where else to ask this question otherwise since a user/player just stole my name tonight. I am "t3t4", or at least I was for as long as I've been playing the game, then all of a sudden I got denied by a server somewhere which immediately kicked me out of the game. I read the login at the bottom of the screen only to discover that someone has stolen my name less than an hour ago! So now I'm here as t3t41 to ask:

Are there any rules against this sort of thing? I mean aside from being indecent and immoral.... Copying me is one thing, but stealing my identity is quite another matter and certainly not the highest form of flattery! Anyone else having or had the same issue?

Thanks,
t3t4
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Name stealing

Post by lep »

I could be wrong, but if you go to the login page and hit "I forgot password" and enter your email that contains the account, you can just reset your original callsign password- that way whoever stole your original can't play with it
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

I think they were using an unregistered callsign before and it was registered by someone else if I'm understanding this correctly.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
t3t4
Private
Private

Post by t3t4 »

Yes Zehra, I never registered the name prior to, you are correct. I didn't think I had to register just to play a game.?! So I never did until just last night. I only did that in order to ask the question in my original post.

It ain't the end of my world but I am quite irritated about the situation.

Otherwise: I can't seem to login to the game using my now registered name t3t41, I get the same basic error message (this call sign is registered you must use global login).

What the hell is global login? Why all of a sudden is this happening when 36 hours ago I had no issues.... I'm somewhat new to online gaming and I just don't understand. Name stealing and now just connecting to a server are my issues at this particular moment. Any advice?

Thanks,
t3t41
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I guess you haven't read the private message I sent you. I did a purge of a bunch of accounts, including that one. You can rename your account now by going to ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=reg_details and then you'd use that username and password in the Join Game menu of the game.

Basically, you didn't have your name registered, so you didn't own it. The Getting Started page briefly mentions this.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

t3t4
Private
Private

Post by t3t4 »

Yes blast, I never registered the name so I never owned it, I fully understand. But no, I never received an email or otherwise telling me that accounts have been reset. I'm about a 48 hour member on the forum ( a bit longer but you get the point) so learning is a curve. I'm getting there, now I am once again and officially t3t4.

just tried the game and all seems good so far.

Thanks for the help and patience to all involved, I do appreciate it.

t3t4
akabzfrutti
Private
Private

Post by akabzfrutti »

i am a new *official member for the same reasons but i prefer play without to be registered.
akabzfrutti
Private
Private

Post by akabzfrutti »

something is wrong : my call-sign is still in use _ i tried yesterday & today it was on 5149/trinity nice map ! i should cancel my account after this post : bz cannot be registered (afaik but i am maybe wrong) except by cheating or using an alias.
i prefer let the free space for these players.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

If you register a name here, you have to use the same username and password as the callsign and password in the Join Game menu.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

If you are not playing under a registered name, unfortunately somebody can register at any point and boot you off of servers. If your name is important to you then you should register it /here/ on the forums and then play in game with your same forum username and password.

But it is a problem. People are poor sports, particularly on Planet Mofo's servers. If you are near the top of the score list and you aren't playing with a registered name, somebody /will/ register it and boot you off of the game.

They're lame for doing it. But unfortunately, sportsmanship isn't what it used to be. :)