Trouble to connect to my server!

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
Sniper 50
Private
Private

Trouble to connect to my server!

Post by Sniper 50 »

Hi!
I have sometrouble to connect on my server.
The server get on the serverlist and anybody can play but me, sure its great some one wants to play there but i would like to that to :cry:
When im trying to connect i get the message No data for host (11004)

The script is:
bzfs -p 59999 -cr +r -mo 3 -mp 0,3,3,0,0 -ms 2 -public "testing" -publicaddr 213.112.135.75:59999 -lagwarn 300 -lagdrop 3 -maxidle 180 -passwd ..... -time 1800 -requireudp

I might add im running Windows XP, if that have something to do with it.

Anybody who can help me out here, and dont forget im a first timer at this :D

S-50
isfry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by isfry »

are you behind any kind of firewall or is this out on the net by its self?
Sniper 50
Private
Private

Post by Sniper 50 »

The firewall is shot down when i did the test!
isfry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by isfry »

have you tried it on the normal port (no p or pr switches)? There might be something using that or wanted to use that but i dbout it but it would be something to try first.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Sniper,

The developers still have not correct problems with BZFS running on any Windows platform. Strange things happen when a Windows system attempts to run a server that is on the public list. Otherwise, running a server over a lan or locally is fine.

I received this information directly from dutchrai, so you might want to ask him about it.

Hope that helps.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
isfry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by isfry »

I have a widnwos server here that runs 6 boards on it here and it generaly runs good sometimes you fail to connect but if you retry it works. The servers aren't public but i wouldn't think that would change much other then the listserver checking your server every so often.
KnightMare

Post by KnightMare »

Its a known problem that a Public server will just not run on a Windows computer. You can tweak at it all ya want, aint gonna happen.
Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dutchrai »

Yup, the problem with BZFS on Windows is that LAN and Local games are fine, but Internet games are not (server could easily crash when a player disconnects from the game).

However, that does not explain your connection problem. I noticed however that you use a very weird port, 59999. Try to omit the port and see if it works (it will use the default one of 5155).
[img:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz/images/forum/bbbanner.png[/img:82d1e9b9a0]
[color=#405070:82d1e9b9a0]
Visit Shell Shock at [b:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz[/b:82d1e9b9a0] for news, maps, tactical guides, game servers and more
[/color:82d1e9b9a0]
MrApathyCream
Dev Wizard
Dev Wizard

Post by MrApathyCream »

Dutchrai wrote: I noticed however that you use a very weird port, 59999. Try to omit the port and see if it works (it will use the default one of 5155).
Nope, You can't use 5155 on windows, it is already in use by windows. So try

-p 5156 -pr 5157
Sniper 50
Private
Private

Post by Sniper 50 »

Hi again!

The port number 59999 was my last attemt to get it to work, i allready tried the others 5155 5156 5157, so my guess was that the problem wasnt that, maybe i should told that before sry
Dutchrai
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dutchrai »

MrApathycream, tx for the 5155/Windows thingy...didn't know that :o

Sniper, could you post the complete BZFS string you used? Maybe there are weird things in there...who knows.

However there is probably not much point in trying to solve it since your Windows/BZFS server will crash anyway after a short while, even if you manage to connect to it yourself. If you're serious about running a BZFS server I advice you to use Linux for that, it's what I did to get my BZFS going (dual booting my machine now).
[img:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz/images/forum/bbbanner.png[/img:82d1e9b9a0]
[color=#405070:82d1e9b9a0]
Visit Shell Shock at [b:82d1e9b9a0]http://shellshock.bzflag.bz[/b:82d1e9b9a0] for news, maps, tactical guides, game servers and more
[/color:82d1e9b9a0]
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

Sniper, could you post the complete BZFS string you used
It's in his original post:
bzfs -p 59999 -cr +r -mo 3 -mp 0,3,3,0,0 -ms 2 -public "testing" -publicaddr 213.112.135.75:59999 -lagwarn 300 -lagdrop 3 -maxidle 180 -passwd ..... -time 1800 -requireudp
I gave Sniper the string, we've tried other ports and reconnect ports. I've seen funny things happen when trying to play bzflag on the same pc that is running bzfs. I'm currently running my bzflag server on win2k pro, (possibly changing that soon). The server seems fine for all users that connect to it. It seems the problems I've had (when playing on same pc running bzfs) happen if I'm using random worlds (ctf random or ffa random). If I use a custom world (which I'm currently running), I have no problems.
The problems I've had aren't like Snipers, I was able to connect to the server, as long as it was using a port other than 5155. They were "kooky" in nature; in ctf (-cr) I would see players carrying a team flag that were not actually carrying the flag, or the flag would disappear all together (when using 1.7e6 for server). Another one was, I would appear "stealth-cloaked" to all players, but they appeared fine to me (when using 1.7e4 for a server) and I could shoot them.