Teleporter yellow screen and sound.

Questions and answers about the how and why of making maps.
ahs3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Teleporter yellow screen and sound.

Post by ahs3 »

Is there a way to turn off the yellow screen when you get close to the teleporter, and the noise would be nice as well. I have a map idea that would be useful to hide a teleporter from view and sound.

Thanks

ahs3
etigah
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Teleporter yellow screen and sound.

Post by etigah »

There's not a simple way I know of to do that. But I have done something similar before, albeit with a bit of tinkering with bzfs. You basically reimplement teleporting, by using playerAlive() plus suppressing the player kill event, possibly along with custom zones to trigger the teleport.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Just for some perspective, there is a few options which exist:

One is to use etigah's suggestion of forced spawn and death event suppression with custom zone logic.(I'm not entirely familiar with how death event suppression works, but I've seen something similar of kill/death event(s) being triggered without causing a death event.)

---

I'm also aware of similar "teleportation" being used without death event suppression done on Castle Scarwal by Grue with "Dimension Door" being used as a teleporter type of flag with forced spawning.

---

Another alternative option, although untested, but works in theory:(It's quite a bit cruder compare to the above options.)
It would be to use mappedDeathZones with death objects to cause spawns to occur on the next teleport "destination".
The score could be manipulated with something similar to the following:

Code: Select all

bz_PlayerDieEventData_V1 *deathData = (bz_PlayerDieEventData_V1*)eventData;
	if ((deathData->killerID == BZ_SERVER) && (deathData->shotID == -1)) {
		bz_incrementPlayerLosses(deathData->playerID, -1);
	}
This way players do not wind up with scores heading negatively on teleports in that manner. (Note: Above code is untested.)
The last factor would be simply to track flags on death and spawns and if it's a "teleporting" spawn, simply give them back the previously held flag.

---

Lastly, but not least, pretty much at least for 2.4.x, teleporting without yellow screen or sound can't be done with an actual teleporter object (AFAIK), but it can be simulated with varying degrees of closeness to the original, but (realistically,) it can only be done via a plug-in or BZFS mod.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread