An Apocalypse Server solely for registered players

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
ChickenParmer
Private
Private

An Apocalypse Server solely for registered players

Post by ChickenParmer »

Listen please mods and admins.

There's an issue on Apoc. Unregistered players are making this game less fun and most likely cheating. Any game these days requires registration. I like knowing who I'm playing with. Can we create this server for only registered players?

Also, having the /Vote kick function would be appreciated. I love playing Apocalypse but I want to know who I'm playing against and that it's a fair match. I don't trust these unregistered players with random screen names. I'd appreciate your consideration.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: An Apocalypse Server solely for registered players

Post by Zehra »

Before anyone else comments on this, this topic has already been covered in various forms.

First of all: Any server, regardless of how popular it has been, tends to become relatively obscure when it is made to verified/registered only: See most recent posts in bzstats.strayer.de - yet another stats site... for precise details.

Secondly: Unregistered players have been commented on extensively, see the following threads: BZ Client, force registration before being allowed to play, A message to all server owners

Thirdly, this all seems like Censored and uncensored servers being suggested in an entirely different manner. (A registered only Apocalypse group is virtually a league, might as well make it one.)

Here is how it all flows out: Registered only -> only registered can play -> fewer players on server -> less activity overall -> server falls into relative obscurity -> few, if any playing on the server.

According to available public and private data, it would not be the result you are looking for.

Unless you have scheduled gaming sessions with registered players on a registered only server, it will not work! (If you do, might as well start a league.)

If you want to better know who you are playing against, some plug-ins do offer that option. (Generally for administrative tasks and not for use of the general public.)

With regards to cheating, Apocalypse has generally pretty active staff on hand to deal with such matters.

In addition, private efforts are being made to drive home the point that cheats are unwelcome.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

Imma be honest. You remove unregistered players, you will kill the map(s). If there are possible cheaters or ppl you suspect. Apoc of all maps has a large pool of mods and admins who can help. But I do not think Optic would make it Reg'd only.
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Part of the problem with unreg'd players is the freedom they feel to personally attack, verbally abuse and accuse other players in pm.
I would recommend taking screenshots (not edited portions but full screenie) and/or save the chat and send to an active mofo admin. I, personally would commit to looking into it and following up with OD as well. These types of players are toxic to the game and drive players away.
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
ChickenParmer
Private
Private

Post by ChickenParmer »

In response to what Kierra said I completely agree. Chat functions should be for registered players. Many times I've alerted mods to racist screen names. Trolls want to troll. Best way to stop them is to not have them play or secondarily have the chat feature disabled unless your registered. If they want to chat or if the admins want them to chat have them chat solely with admins.
button
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by button »

I’m opposed to having registration required to play, however I don’t mind it being required to talk. I play apocalypse in alias often, and the biggest reason why is because sometimes I just want to play the video game to avoid conversation and relax. Not all unregistered players are hacking and cussing people out. I’d argue that hacking is pretty rare outside of the occasional invincible wings guy that comes around every once in awhile.
Super Android 13
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Super Android 13 »

I happen to agree with Kierra and ChickenParmer on this, as the Urban Jungle map includes said function of being registered in order to talk. Even if there are unregistered players there, they can still play normally. Misadventure and Green Manalishi can attest to this, so it might be worthwhile to add said plugin to the idea board for Apocalypse. I can understand button's reasoning for just trying to play quietly. Also, if you're on a server like Urban and your main callsign isn't working, you can chat with any moderators currently on the map to request to talk, as I personally had to do this several years ago with my original Buzzy_Beetle name when my boarding school network was strict with filtering.
I play lots of games, though this older game is still one of my favorites. Whenever I am not busy with work, you may find me occasionally on the Apocalypse, Urban Jungle, or Quickshot servers.

Formerly Buzzy_Beetle, MORTIS, Android 16

blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Note the game clients since 2.4.12 can silence unregistered players if that helps. You can use "/silence -" for that.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

@ChickenParmer & Android 16

Please read the following two posts:
viewtopic.php?p=172492#p172492
viewtopic.php?p=161052#p161052

While it is tempting to limit chat or spawning/play to registered players only, I would strongly caution against the notion of having the general public being given a bad hand because the actions of a few.

There exists better alternatives, since plug-ins can check and even prevent some improper callsigns from joining and even kick or short ban them.

For context: Years back we did have an issue with a ban evader/troll known as "gauss". I've suggested "registered only chat" in such times, same as being able to silence all unregistered from the client side. This was an extreme measure for an extreme time, as gauss would easily evade dozens of bans.

During this time, a few servers moved to registered only chat, a VPN blocking plug-in was developed during that time period, ability to silence unregistered players from the client side were developed.

Gauss was banned on sight, if possible. Extreme measures had to be taken for an extreme problem.

This was an extreme time which required extreme measures. In conclusion, gauss was banned/blocked off from servers and the problem was solved.

So now, my question becomes: Now why is the suggestion for even more extreme measures, which directly impact the general public being suggested?

Linked in my first post are details relating to registration requirement and server popularity/activity. You even have a map maker state that it kills off server popularity.(In this forum thread.)

To provide an even bigger comparison. During the time of gauss, there was no need to move to registered only chat on Apocalypse, as gauss was dealt with. (Very few servers did so in terms of moving to registered only chat.)

In conclusion, even though I've recommended "registered only chat", this was during a quite extreme time period. The time period and situation is different, hence I do not see the need to cause a major changes which significantly negatively impact the general public for the sake of dealing with what really appears to be a much more minor matter.

---

General comment/note: With regards to blatant cheating, it is rare. More subtle cheats are my concern and at least from the data set I have, it may be more widespread than originally assumed.(But closer to the upper level of expected ranges.)

-Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread
lep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by lep »

Unsure what the complicated and long responses are for. Unregistered players not being welcome at Apoc will most likely never happen.

@ChickenParmer, if you run into chat issues while playing on Apoc, heed to kierra’s advice and take a full screenshot and send it to us and someone will look into it. There’s several active @ who are willing to help.

Seems like a finished topic now.
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

@ChickenParmer:

In addition to what lep says: I'd recommend using /report too due to the way logging works, it is fairly easy for server owners to view chat logs of any incidents. (If related to chat specific abuse.) But also, it allows reports to be made relating to players or things to look out for. (a.k.a. player is flying without wings.)

Lag statistics may also be helpful in cases of suspected cheating too. Via the /lagstats command.

You may also wish to increase the Chat Panel height from the Control Panel for taking screenshots.
This may be done via Options -> GUI Settings -> Panel Height

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
kierra
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by kierra »

Fwiw, I routinely check /reports on most servers I admin on….particularly apoc
"Sometimes people try to expose what's wrong with you, because they can't handle what's right about you."
"Measure your words -- they determine the distance of your relationships"
"If serving is beneath you, leadership is beyond ypu."
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

Sorry I did not see this forum thread before now.

We've been through this before:
Planet MoFo was FOUNDED on a premise against this proposal. On day one of Planet MoFo's existence this proposal was rejected.
We have ALWAYS been more permissive than other servers.
I took some of the swears out of the plugin messages, and I ban inappropriate callsigns. That's as far as I'm willing to go.

Learn How To Use The K Key. I'm not your mommy.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Dr Thief
Private
Private

Post by Dr Thief »

Hey optic - hope you're doing well - I hope your position on the above hasn't changed, you have admins now threatening bans re: language. Has Planet MoFo's position changed?
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

If Optic's position has not changed, the question is what rules are they then attempting to enforce.

If there is no policy or rule which applies, then they are making personal judgements at their discretion, which is common on many servers. (A.k.a. players exploiting glitches on purpose may not be written as a rule, but at an admins discretion, said players may be banned.)

However, if admins are attempting to act contrary to the rules or subvert them by leveraging "admin's discretion", they should be removed from their position.

But it's possible this is a new admin and in that case, lack of experience may be to blame.

-Zehra

Latest 101 thread
optic delusion
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by optic delusion »

The one behavioral rule we have is "Don't be an asshat". If you're verbally toxic, then you're an asshat.
I haven't looked at the logs... yet, but singling out a player for abuse, or continual abusive talk in public, is toxic.

We are very permissive, up to a point. A little here and there is OK, but it's easy to cross the line into abuse. We decide where and when that line has been exceeded. You must have some modicum of respect for ALL of the other players.

If you are attempting to turn me against one of my admins, you're gonna have a rough time doing that.
Take a look at my Defender game mode concept.

Thinking is not an automatic process. A man can choose to think or to let his mind stagnate, or he can choose actively to turn against his intelligence, to evade his knowledge, to subvert his reason. If he refuses to think, he courts disaster: he cannot with impunity reject his means of perceiving reality.
Dr Thief
Private
Private

Post by Dr Thief »

That's not my intent, at all.

I have *no* interest in actual personal garbage with admins, or in you taking any action. I have a firm policy of respecting server rules/policies. Bringing that sort of thing up here, for clarity, is an attempt to understand policy/intent only given the lack of explanation in-game.

If it's a rule change or misunderstanding, there's no issue. If it's an admin making something personal, my approach will be simply to avoid playing there, and I wouldn't expect you would care in the slightest.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I think it clarifies the situation.