WebBZEdit - A new dedicated map editor (April Fools Edition - this ain't a joke!)

Discussion, updates, modifications, etc for the various map editors...
allejo
Breaker of Builds
Breaker of Builds

WebBZEdit - A new dedicated map editor (April Fools Edition - this ain't a joke!)

Post by allejo »

Much like our refreshed BZFlag website back on April 1st 2019 (UTC), here's an April Fools gift for everyone and my 800th post!

It’s been years since there’s been a viable map editor for BZFlag. The current recommendation has been to use 3D modeling tools such as Blender or Wings 3D and use a plugin or modeltool to convert it into map files. While this approach is still the recommendation for handling complex objects like meshes, learning a 3D modeling tool to make maps with just primitive obstacles has a huge learning curve. Years ago, BZWorkbench was an official effort intended to solve this problem by being an all-in-one map editor; however, that project is now nearly defunct.

I’d like to introduce the next evolution in map editing: WebBZEdit. A cross-platform, browser-based map editor available for all modern browsers with WebGL support. This project was inspired by The Noah's webbzw, cs8425's bzw-viewer, and iBZEdit.

This project was started in April 2021 and was seeing features being added steadily since then; however, life has gotten in the way since then but I do plan on continuing its development soon! This is considered alpha-level software and will have bugs! However, it's stable enough for most uses and I'm comfortable with officially announcing it.

Here are some of the highlights:
  • Ability to toggle between different game modes
  • Ability to create, edit, and delete the following obstacles,
    • Bases
    • Boxes
    • Pyramids
    • Teleporters
    • Zones
  • Manage map settings such as jumping, ricochets, friendly fire, BZDB settings etc.
  • Manage flag counts and settings
  • Support for managing the world wall boundaries and grass
Just like most of my work, this project is open source and available on GitHub under the MIT license. Please report bugs on this thread or on GitHub (if you have an account).

Use WebBZEdit today! There’s nothing to download, just go to https://web-bzedit.allejo.org/
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: WebBZEdit - A new dedicated map editor (April Fools Edition - this ain't a joke!)

Post by trpted »

Very cool. Please keep up the good work.