Idea to help newcomers

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Aquafy
Private
Private

Idea to help newcomers

Post by Aquafy »

I’ve played bzflag for a couple of years by now and have seen that many of the newbies that join quit simply because they don’t understand how the game works and are killed many times over. A solution I think would be helpful would be a tutorial option in the main menu which goes through each of the essential flags and let’s people test them out on dummy tanks just to understand how all of the game mechanics works.
trpted
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Idea to help newcomers

Post by trpted »

Good idea.

Searching the site for the keyword tutorial, has over 290 matches.

by using the advanced options to restrict it to only Map Relaases and Works In Progress, finds a map that could be used.

REF "Trainer" map suggestion box

And I found other users suggesting the same thing..

ex BZ community collab tutorial
Aquafy
Private
Private

Post by Aquafy »

So not a new idea necessarily, but its good that this has been brought up many times, there are many people thinking about the same issue. Ill look into the forums that you sent, thank you for showing me them!
Zehra
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Zehra »

Ironically, one issue with many projects/concepts similar to this nature relates to skill and talent.

Usually this is since many players are not map makers, map makers usually aren't plug-in writers, and plug-in writers usually aren't both highly active players and map makers.

So, for example, I know quite a few tricks inside and outside of the API relating to plug-ins, but finding the time to actually do it, has been the issue in my case.

-Zehra
Those who are critical of me, I'll likely be the same of them. ~Zehra
The decisions we make are the ones we look forward too and the ones we regret. ~Zehra
There's a difference between knowing my name and knowing me, one shows respect to my name and the other is to who I am. ~Zehra

See where I've last been active at Strayers.
Visit BZList.net for a modern HTML5 server stats site.

Click here to view the 101 Leaderboard & Score Summaries Last updated 2021-01-12 (YYYY-MM-DD)
Latest 101 thread