team decorations and bumperstickers :)

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
RedRock
Private First Class
Private First Class

team decorations and bumperstickers :)

Post by RedRock »

1) I just thought about this...ok the team decorations I was thinking aboiut a longer time...

So, that when you enter a game (match) every team can upload to the others their own tankdecoration or flag that is put on their tanks ... and the team flag is also decorated...
So, not a preinstalled decoration ... Another solution would be that the flags are kept centrally on a server or so and liek with http, there is first a check if the flag is still the same...will save on bandwith probably.

2) This is maybe something nice/funny?? ... this can be different for every player ... It would be cool to have bumperstickers on your tank :). Can maybe make things humerous who knows ..this is more like personal decoration actually ...
Maybe an imposed restriction on the image-size, so nobody tries to force an upload to evryone and blocks the game ... ? We have to think about 56k-mdeom-users here too.

It would be cool if svg-graphics were used ...If the graphics are not too complex, the files could be even smaller. Certainly for text I suppose...
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

hey! i really like this idea!!! hell yeah! that sounds awesome!
lets do it!

custom lincense plats would be cool also :D
elmer fudd
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elmer fudd »

i have had ideas like this and a few suggestions:
bumpers stickers - the tank is too small

i think that an emblem of some sort on the side of the tank would be very neat.

for the 56kers out ther we should have a setting for internet connections dpeed and if ur on dsl it will but if u r on 56k then it wont
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Whatever is added, it should be able to be toggled off in Options for the low-bandwidth users. A custom image for the team flag would be nice, but it's not like any text on a tank would be easily visible.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
rob1n
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rob1n »

on the tanks...it would be way too small for license plates...you have to go right behind them...a nice emblem might be nice, but bumper stickers . . . maybe put an electron microscope in the game? ;)
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

nah, i would be able to make it out :) that tanks are not quite that small guys, maybe more than one word would not work... but i really think an emblem on the side would be awesome :)

i would love to see my HoW patch on the side of me tank!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

team logos have been discussed, they would go in after tank models, users skins, and a Contenet management system.
ImageJeffM
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

stickers

Post by sid6.7 »

cool!!!
that would be good for teams to have your own logos
or skins for your colored tanks
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

part of the skin thing is allready in 1.10.4, they teams now use textures for the team colors not just one texture that is colored in software
ImageJeffM
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

users will need the ability to block images and see all the tanks as normal.

1. users may struggle with framerate.

and...

2. i can only imagine what spoogebob will put on his tank.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the plan is to only allow server approved images, so to get one in you would have to submit an image to the server for aproval. once approved it would then be sent to the cleints.
ImageJeffM
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

I'd skin my tank in camoflage - same as the ground, color and texture, with building texture on the top half.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
elmer fudd
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elmer fudd »

i dont like pat's plan but:
have it integrated with the karma system. only people with a karma higher than some amount can use the images(they can still see them) but you start with a karma lower than this value so bob cant just pick a different callsign
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

I’m no programmer (the only language I know is Qbasic) :P

But what are the goals in mind?

1. To make the process user friendly by letting the client determine who’s images are blocked?

2. Or make it more secure by giving the server the privilege, also making it slightly harder on the user. (Which is no problem. Anything worthwhile will take some work.)

No offense pat, but i agree a little with fudd. I don't like the karma idea though. it seems to me that dedicating the responsibility to the server will make things complicated. server owners will have to work there butt off trying to approve a flood of images.

but consider the source. i have no thinking when it comes to programming.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

there is no way to idenitfy an image before you see it as ofensive, so a client block would be a pain.

so the next best centeral area is the server. and I don't mean game server. there has allways been a plan for a "Content management server" that holds any data a client may need, like aditional map textures and stuff that a map may use ( when we do custom map textures ). so who ever runs the CMS, and there admins could handle the aproval. and that would aprove it for any game server using that CMS server. and yes you could allways block a specific image client side too. But if you only do client side, that means every single person is gonna have to block spooges image, instead of 1.

there is no perfect solution to it, they all involve some work. Server side is easest on the end user.

it also goes with the idea of rating servers. like have famialy rated servers that use a CMS that has stricter rules then a "r" rated server network.

none of this has been implemented at all, just talked about. I don't honestly see it going in, in this current codebase or engine.
ImageJeffM
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

ok that makes sense pat. like i said. I'm ignorant about programming. i like your idea now.

thanks for taking time with me.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

knowing is 0.5752 of the battle
ImageJeffM
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Yeah, PatLabor's point will keep us from seeing spoogebob's butcrack from the back, and.....................

thank God for some favors, huh?
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."