Jump sound bug (or is it?)

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Jump sound bug (or is it?)

Post by The Purple Panzer »

When I jump I hear a sound (kind of a weird "boing"). However,
if I'm next to someone when they jump, I don't hear anything.

This seems like a bug; and it'd be really useful when someone
with Stealth jumps up to shoot you to be able to hear them coming. On the other hand, maybe this was intentionally left out; but I can see no reason for it. Even with ST you are visible, and presumably should leave all the traces, visual and acoustic, that a tank has, and only not show on radar.

If present it might affect the usefulness of the ST flag, so maybe someone decided to drop it, but I don't like the violation of abstraction it implies.

(The original Battlezone had sounds for the engine too, and different ones for different engine speeds - this would also be neat to have, and to have them change when turning, reversing, etc. As this would be entirely client side, it wouldn't burden the servers at all.)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The jump noise is only a local sound. Thus, it is only triggered whey the jump() function is called when you jump.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by The Purple Panzer »

OK, so only I hear it, but to me this is a bug. The only explanation that I could think of is that it represents the sound of some mechanism internal to my tank, and is so attentuated by the tank hull that it's not worth trying to propagate it to nearby players.

But barring that, it's a clue to what other players are doing that I'd like to have. (Take this in the spirit of "I need all the help I can get").
rob1n
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rob1n »

this game isn't realistic...the tanks can jump, in the first place ;)

i think it is just a function to let you know that u've jumped...and add a little sound :D