Actual HTF gamestyle?

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Actual HTF gamestyle?

Post by oblomov »

Would it be possible to implement actual Hold The Flag as a game style for 1.12? I tried it these days and it's absolutely fantastic! :)
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Burned Account -CNG- »

yay another HTF fan!
http://ist-htf.blogspot.com/
Do not enable this account with out admin aproval
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

it wouldnt take many changes to implement an actual HTF gamestyle ... not sure because i don't know much about the bzflag program coding , heh ;)

the donkey noises need to go LoL
along with the bad teamkilling message ...

an improved method of keeping track of indiviual players' score(# of CTF's made by each player)

allow 2 different bases , but only one tank color . so players would have to all be of the same color tank .

just an idea ;)
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

I think it could make sense to allow teams in a 'proper' HTF game. The server can always force everybody to be rogue of course, though :)
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

then there would have to be a rouge flag then . which doesn't sound like that bad an idea ;)

i think it would be a great idea to develop HTF rouge tanks .

of course if someone would develop a rogue flag(and a rogue base) , i think it should only be allowed in HTF games . since there was a big debate elsewhere at another thread about whether rogues should be considered a team or not...
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you need 5 teams? why not just turn off rogues on the server and have up to 4 teams. Making rouges into a team is the same as just adding more teams, and turning them off.
ImageJeffM
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

actually , in HTF all you need is 1 tank color , and two bases . consisting of one base of the same color and one base of a different color .

i think i misunderstood oblomovs' post when he mentioned that teams would be acceptable in an HTF game . i thought he meant that HTF tanks should all be rouges . and then it got me thinking that maybe HTF tanks should be a special color , such as with bunnyhunt tanks .

but now i think i know what he meant .

it's possible to have teams in HTF . but some game modifications would be needed . the different color teams would have to all go for the same single flag , a sort of "superkill" flag that would kill all tanks when captured at an opposing base . and send them all back to the same starting point or universal base ...
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

RC Cola, that's exactly what I meant: all teams (and rogues) fight for a single flag, point for flag delivery is awarded to team (for team players) and to individual players (for rogue players). Of course the server would be free to choose if teams (and/or rogues) are allowed or not, as usual.
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

sounds like fun =)

heehe

but what if the team or rogue that makes the flag capture doesn't blow up ? only the others tanks do..

anywayssss ... i still like regular HTF =)
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

Hm. We would probably need to test the two variants (full board reset or only-losers-respawn) to see what's better ... make it an option?

Of course, regular HTF would still be possible (all rogues, everybody respawns)
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

/me agrees
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Team HTF matches

i've been wonderin if anyone would be interested in testing team HTF ? where there are 2 or more different teams playing in a HTF match at da same time.

since HTF must currently be played by tanks of the same color(hoping this will change one day..) , the way of seeing who is who is by using the identify key or right mouse click . however , i was browsing through the BZ patch files and came across this intresting patch about player beacons ..

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=303248

if there is a way to make the beacon last much longer ..like 30-40 minutes ..instead of 5 seconds...we could "tag" all enemy tanks even though they are the same color . this will help alot in spotting who is a teammate and who isn't .

could this work? yes/no/maybe?

Post by Guest »

i got two things to say about htf.
1:its fun.
2:kill or be killed!
rob1n
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rob1n »

i've REALLY gotta play htf sometime soon...keep finding myself on viper's server :D
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

HTF can conceptually be played in two ways:

1. FFA style: there is one base and one Nuke flag: all players (teams) must try to take the Nuke flag to the base. If they succeed everybody/the non-winning player/team has to respawn, and they respawn, together with the Nuke flag, in a certain zone (the Nuke flag need not respawn in the same area as the players)

2. Rugby style, 'real' team game: there is a single Nuke flag. Each team has its base. The purpose of the game is to take the Nuke flag to the own team base.
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

cool ideas =)

i also like the idea of having a spawn base , where the losing team/players go back to after the winning team/player captures the "nuke" flag . the nuke flag also goes back with them . this is basically how it's played now , with the exception that you can now have different color teams , and only the losers go back and respawn .

or.. it could be a server option to have a spawn zone , preferably on the far opposite side of the field , where the losing team/players respawn after the nuke flag has been captured . the nuke flag also resets itself to a random location somewhere in the spawn zone . this will help curb any sort of "base" camping or flag snatching by the other team before the other team/players can respawn .
|tim|
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by |tim| »

Why can't it just be the original HTF, not with all this other stuff added on, It's already fun :D

~Bring the Pain!~
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Development

Post by Lan »

Oblomov, are you still working on a patch that implements HTF into BZFlag? And the style of HTF, is it just normal two bases, every man for himself, kill everybody and try and capture the flag type? I know there were many styles talked about here. Thanks.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Lan56, dude just bust out the patch man, you have the skillz to get the game mode these people need.
ImageJeffM
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Ok. How about I create a patch that implements HTF style with:

-Two bases, one with the flag, one that is there to capture it
-Perhaps everybody is rogue?
-Everyman for himself; kill anybody you want

And thats pretty much it. I guess also I'd take out the client's thought that you are tking, since that's not what is happeneing.
oblomov
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by oblomov »

I started working on the patch. I found the code very unstructured, and not an easy thing to do add a new gamestyle :(
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

With the confusion and debate on IRC last night about it's style, I honestly don't know what to do now, so untill I found out, I won't be working on it, so, I am not actively working on it yet myself.
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

ok check this out>>>
this is how we need HTF done>>>

Everyone on same team = Rogue (any color would work)
Need to be able to capture a flag (might be hard to do with rogue)
want individual scoring (how many times each individual has captured the flag, and how many kills they have)

Really this is it, not much to the HTF gamestyle. If ya need anything else let me know :)

db
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

some people dont like rogues because they are more difficult to see in the main viewscreen .

if it is coded , i think its better that it should be a server option which tank color or if rogues are to be used on an HTF server.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

we can remove the team requirement for pickup flags, it's easy. and we can make it so you can be any color, and still spawn at the HTF base.

This would be a true teamless game mode.
ImageJeffM