Weird Problem: It wont start!

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
Frank the Bodysnatcher
Private First Class
Private First Class

Weird Problem: It wont start!

Post by Frank the Bodysnatcher »

I have kind of a weird problem for y'all. I had bz installed on my computer, and it was working fine, until this one day when it refused to start. Whenever I tried to run it, the computer worked for a couple seconds, and then... nothing. The weird thing is, it's still using up my CPU. I checked Task Manager, and its not listed as an application, but there is still a process called "bzflag.exe" that's using 99% of the proccessor. I know there's not a lot to go on, but can anyone help?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

First, did you kill the bzflag.exe process and try to run it again?
second of all, have you installed any software/drivers that might conflict with bzflag? Possibly running software that uses your 3D accelerator could cause problems.
Third, you might want to run adware/spyware checks and see if something has been messing around with your computer. Doubt this would cause a problem though.

Haven't has this problem, so maybe someone else can provide better information on how to resolve this issue.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

elmer fudd
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elmer fudd »

try removing your config file(it's Documents and Settings\My BZFlag Files\bzflag19.bzc) and see if that does it
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Actually, it should be in c:\documents and settings\USERNAME\My Documents\My BZFlag Files\bzflag19.bzc
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Frank the Bodysnatcher
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sad to say, none of that has worked thus far. Hmmmmmmmm... most frustrating.
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Can you run other 3D games that use OpenGL for graphics?

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

ok lets start from the top.

OS and Graphics card?

BZflag Version?
ImageJeffM
Frank the Bodysnatcher
Private First Class
Private First Class

To blast, I wouldn't know, I don't have any other 3D games that use OpenGL for graphics.

And to patlabor, windows, 1.10.6, and Intel(R) 82865G Graphics controller. Seems overly cryptic to me, but that's what it says.
Frank the Bodysnatcher
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sorry, make that windows XP, if that makes a difference
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it does.

I'm very sorry about your graphics chip, as we can't call it a card.

verify you have current drivers for it form intell and current direct X 9

I've seen the stock intell drivers eat them selves before. And you want the current drivers anyway to get any kind of performance outa that thing. So updating won't hurt
ImageJeffM
Frank the Bodysnatcher
Private First Class
Private First Class

I finally fixed it. There was actually a problem with the configuration file. Somehow it had gotten deleted, even though there was still an icon for it and everything. Thanks for your help though.