Admin issues..

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Colonel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Admin issues..

Post by Colonel »

Lately I have been getting grief since I started banning TK's and Respawners, and resetting flags when the server was getting out of hand....

I am admin only on Babels (Grassroots) and only play late at night for a couple of hours...

There are times when I just get tired of the crap we get as admins for doing our job. When I am playing on Grassroots, most of the regulars know that I don't tolerate teamkilling, and other childish things that kids do. I normally warn a few times before I ban..

Well, today I was playing and one of the players (ay) asks me what it was like to be an ex-admin? I asked him what he was talking about and he mentioned that on the BZFlag forum, they were complaining about me, and that I wouldn't be an admin anymore.... I said to talk to Babel the owner of the server about it.. I haven't seen Babel for quite awhile to tallk about these issues..

I enjoy the game as I only have been playing it since 1989, and like the new features that show up with every release...amazing differences between the old and new...

any comments?
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

I've heard numerous complaints about you in three or so threads since I've registered here, and if half the things they say are true then the de-adminning was probably justified. I'm not taking a jab at you.. But define when the server gets "out of hand". Is it when someone on the other team just happens to incidentally be carrying your team's flag, and when yours doesn't have control over the powerful superflags?

However I also don't like what I've heard about this Babel. I've never talked to him, but he seems exceptionally unresponsive, to ignore complaints for so long and not talk to either you or the people who feel they've been unjustly banned. He also could have at least shown you the respect of *telling* you that you had been removed in person, rather than allowing someone not on the server staff to break the news.

Too many servers have an ununified administration, with reactions varying all too much depending on which particular admin is present during a situation. The laissez-faire policy is also far too prevalent.

I believe in a strict temporary (as in, several hours to several days) banning for all malicious TKers, an unquestioned permanent ban for cheaters/hackers, and the calm discussion of everything else so that a single server can maintain a consistent policy responsive to the needs of the players.
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
Death Barrel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Death Barrel »

heh, reseting flags cause "server gets out of hand" ?
i can really see how that would piss players off.
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

Workaphobia wrote: However I also don't like what I've heard about this Babel. I've never talked to him, but he seems exceptionally unresponsive, to ignore complaints for so long and not talk to either you or the people who feel they've been unjustly banned. He also could have at least shown you the respect of *telling* you that you had been removed in person, rather than allowing someone not on the server staff to break the news.
well i have to stand up for Babel , because i think he is a good server host that does listen to input by both the players and the admins.
im not sure if he's a member of this forum , or reads any of these threads though .

all i can say is that he did take note of all the complaints , but had to consider thoroughly if they were true , and from credible sources .
i only helped him to verify them .
please keep in mind that being a fair judge is not easy , and that major administrative action such as this shouldn't be done rashly . it's like building up the evidence for a case . so do not think that he doesn't care or is unresponsive . he is just making sure .
after verifying things with babel , and taking into account that these complaints have been mounting up for awhile , we both believed it was prudent to remove Colonel as an admin. as soon as possible .

also , most if not all of the communications between the server host and the admins. and each other , occurs when we run into each other playing on the server . that's just the way it is . because we are all just players too .
i agree it would've been nice if Babel emailed Colonel to let him know , but im sure he was hoping more to tell him "in person" when he saw him playing .
as Colonel said , he mainly plays late at night now , which makes it alittle difficult for the majority day admin. regulars(and Babel)to reach him .
in any case , i feel responsible for this happening , and i sincerely apologize to Colonel . i should not have made it public here . because i did not expect a forum reader to go and rub it in to Colonel before we could tell him privately ourselves .

it's regrettable that you were let go Colonel , and we honestly tried to reach you privately . but please understand that we were under alot of pressure by others to take immediate action .
we appreciate the service you have done for the server ... re-instatement as an admin. can be easily done for you , if you're still interested . please try to contact Babel to discuss this .
Last edited by Rebel Chik0rita on Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Sugestion

Post by Viper »

Heres a sugestion if babel didnt wanna worry bout the flag probs and maby if some people ran /set and stuff he could make a group with limited commands.
- viper.pimpi.org
- email: drugskill@gmail.com
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

good idea Viper .
yea he should make admin groups , some with partial command(/kick and /veto) and some with full command(/ban and flag resets , ect.)
Grumbler
Dev Monkey
Dev Monkey

Post by Grumbler »

are there any other admins on babels site besides "day" admins............i play there at night(est) quite frequently, and i only see admin action once a week or so...........and with the number of "fools" on that server, I would expect it more often.

it gets real annoying when you get a person trying to self capture, or non-capture(taking the enemy flag back to their base)

does babel go through the logs and ban post-play.....if so, i have a couple callsign candidates for banning.
.........you kids, get out of my tank...........
Viper
Private First Class
Private First Class

Yes

Post by Viper »

Yes, i live in FL dunno what the time diff is er anything but babel is doing as a project rite now and is busy.
- viper.pimpi.org
- email: drugskill@gmail.com
Colonel
Private First Class
Private First Class

Thanks for the update...

Post by Colonel »

I don't mind not being an admin... Babel made me an admin when we had a ton of teamkilling when the server was just getting set up. Lately, all I have been doing late at night is banning for teamkilling, and compulsive respawning, which is dis-allowed... Maybe there could be hot keys that work like "kick" (which currently doesn't) for limited admin issues..
I must admit I probably had a bad day when I let my frustrations out on the spawnkillers that night...at work they have been planning on outsourcing our jobs to Chile/London/India... bad thing is I have to do training for them...nothing like training someone to take your job...

Thanks, and good luck..

you guys/gals can e-mail me at:

pinbreaker@yahoo.com (i check this the most frequent)

Kevin,
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

No problem, Colonel. We all have our bad days, I have had tons in my life. I know how it can be.