1.12?

Important stuff goes here.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

1.12?

Post by ducatiwannabe »

when is next version of bzflag coming out? just wondered.
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Same here. I know I asked someone, and I totally forgot the answer. :oops: Anyway there hasn't been a new release since I joined the community, so I'm kind of anxious to see something new.

Oh, and what's the deal with the beta servers being unavailable now? Not that I really used them, but...
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

ya no servers :(
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

I was told by one of the devs that they are sequencing the new server code to the version, and you have to have the same version to connect. Apparently, 1.11.7 came out a few weeks ago, and now 1.11.9. I loaned the devs a pre-release copy of my Nimitz battle group map to test, and I hear they're running it live on a 1.11.7 or .9 server. I can't verify - the last beta win executable posted on bzflag.org is 1.11.4. Because I don't have a compiler I therefor cannot access anything newer. But I was told the new version is faster and impressive.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

this I gotta see! :twisted:
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

1.12 will be out when it's ready. We don't really do fixed dates. But after trepan finishes his latest set of changes weill probaby look and see where we are in regards to a release.

I'll do a windows build and post it today, it has been a while since I did one for people to test.

We allways break compatability with new versions 1) so that we can add new features, 2) to make the new features not be a "cheat" to the old users (aka you can only play with people with the same version), and 3) to make people upgrade.
ImageJeffM
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

New network coding? I haven't even heard of that and I am a dev. The only think I could think of that that means is a while back how brlcad and me seemed serious to rewrite the entire thing using Spread network lib, but that was a bust--neither of us brought it up after that, and when either of us did, the sentence ended with a smiley and was meant as a joke.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Lan56, new features were added, new flags, compressed worlds, new ojbect types, you know all that. That changed the network protocoll and makes it incompatable.
ImageJeffM
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

where do I download 1.12 test version?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

It is generaly only avalable as source, sometimes we do windows builds for testers to use, but we have not made one in a while. I can make one when I get back from Arizona ( or maybe if I have VC on my laptop, sooner ).

Since the version is incompatable there are not many servers so don't exect to be playing like you do now with it.
ImageJeffM
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I know you have 1.12 around somewhere :)

I'm a windows user PLeasSE! tell me (if one comes out or possibly) if I can get a version :) I wanna play! I dont care about servers :-)
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Ahh, I knew about that stuff, just didn't know it made enough of a difference to consider it "new server code", nearly as if a rewrite, as spoken above.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Patlabor221 wrote:It is generaly only avalable as source, sometimes we do windows builds for testers to use, but we have not made one in a while. I can make one when I get back from Arizona ( or maybe if I have VC on my laptop, sooner ).

Since the version is incompatable there are not many servers so don't exect to be playing like you do now with it.
I would be happy for the moment just to have a recent version to work with that supports tetrahedrons. The most recent build on bzflag.dragon.org does not support them. It is difficult to test some of the map building I'm doing (oh, alright, it's impossible to test) without that. All my visualization is by hand and imagination.

Trepan got me started on experimenting with tetras, and now I'm using some of them in my nimitz group map, trying to build an F-14 without ever being able to see it. :)

Not that I would turn down access to the latest version in a build so that I could see how network performance on an extremely busy map works. Adding objects every day to nimitz group, and it's now over 3,000. And I still have a few ships to go.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

from the "Submarine Flag" thread, trying to put this in the right thread and respond:
Patlabor221 wrote:http://bzbb.bzflag.org/builds/1.11/bzflag1.11.9.exe

that's built as of 10 min ago.

I'm away from my home now so I can't test it (built it on the laptop), but it should work
Thanks for trying. Must be somthing not set with your laptop build config, though. This errors out with "No fonts found. Exiting."

I compared file names to the 1.11.4 build I already have, and nothing pops out as obvious. Some size diffs, though.
-toaster
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

ohh there is a big difrence, it's got no fonts.

the installer is busted
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the installer was not set up for the fonts dir, It's been fixed. Download that file again and re-install, it shold fix it for you
ImageJeffM
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

That did it. Thanks a bunch!!!!
-toaster
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

updated builds are at http://bzflag.dragon.org/builds/1.11/ these have the last protocoll change so they are compatable with the current running 1.11.10 test servers.
ImageJeffM
romfis-austria
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag 1.12.x

Post by romfis-austria »

when detailed does the new version seem to 1.12.x now?
is the version at least still published this year?
still not exact or one wisely?

--romfis