A good server.

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

A good server.

Post by ducatiwannabe »

What is your definition of a good server? Some people ban and kick like crazy and do stupid things. In my oppinion a server with tons of bots, and crazy options and admins who kick/ban like crazy (I've seen some do it for stealing a flag with theif) should be taken off. So what is your definition of how to run a good server? And how do you (truthfully) run yours? think about this.....

P.S. I want a server bad, could anybody tell me how I can get one with lots of players for cheap? and how to run some things?
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

I feel a good server is one with a nice map, frequent administration, reasonable kicks/bans, doesn't have to have perfect settings but at least a fair amount of shots, and people with a good sense of humor. I run mine pretty much like that, except I ban people forever at the first sense that they are permanent trouble (I am tired of all that "grace" garbage, maybe some grace, but I see people who are rediculous because they give too much grace).

Running a server is a free thing to do, just use BZFS.

http://bzflag.org/wiki/CreatingAServer
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I understand, I dont mean not to kick or ban, just be reasonable.
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Burned Account -CNG- »

grassroots best server ever.
Do not enable this account with out admin aproval
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

I meant to talk about having grace in general, I know you kick/ban people, I meant about other people. I see how that could have been taken in reference to you, but it wasn't.
rr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rr »

In order of importance:

1. map with good balance between structures and open field, not overly complicated and with moderately easy jumps
2. jumping (i never got into the ducati style for some reason)
3. reasonable admins (will verify any cheating before acting, don't cheat themselves and not overly sensitive about language (there is an ignore feature for a reason))
4. does mess with tank/bullet physics
5. 3-5 shots
6. few bad flags
7. <3 each L, GM and SW
8. <5 each ST, N and T
9. fill in the rest with CL, V and SR
10. not to many flags (< 40 or 50 max)
11. no drive though pyramids/buildings
12. no bots

servers I have liked:
- hashmark (probably the best in it's day)
- grassrootsportal (before they changed the map and admin issues surfaced)
- smolowski/skymoco fairground (my current favorite)
- turkey (good maps/setup)

servers I hated:
- secretplace (too many shots, the map sucks with spawning on buildings turned on and horrible admins)
- turkey (bad admins)
- any server hosting the map with the big wall in the center and a bunch of cubicles on the ground (absolutely no strategy to this map, incredibly boring play)

(minor grammer edit)
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

servers

Post by sid6.7 »

yep you can run your own server with bzfs
which sounds like what you need to do.(FOR FREE)

some people consider flag stealing from teammates
the same as team killing unless you've seen an
SW leap and your teammate is gonna fry in a sec
which is rare from what i've seen...

i dont think turkey is even up anymore rr is it?

over all a map should have balance an not
those un-reachable camper spots....my first few
maps were camper heaven but i think my last
2 or 3 were better....

there are a number of threads already here
that give suggestions on where to play
browse them to find one to your liking.
rr
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rr »

Yeah, turkey has been downfor awhile now... I'm not even sure if hashmark is still up these days. I was just using it as an example of the kind of servers that I like/hate.

Edit: A quick note on camper spots. A well setup camper spot should be attackable from at least 3 directions. Preferrably the camper should only be able to defend one direction at a time.

This is why I hate the SW/drive-through building so much. It is pretty close to being a invincible location, especially when there are very few other SW/SB flags availible on the map. The smolkowski fairground map allows a player with SW to be invincible in at least 7 different places if the SB flag is within the reach of the SW blast.
Tegan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tegan »

DW, I've never heard of an admin kicking someone for stealing a flag with Thief. But one thing that I have seen, and that has happenned to me more than once, is that bzfs sometimes automatically kicks a tank that steals High Speed with Thief while in the air. The server gets confused about the tank speed and, even thought the move was a legitimate one, one of the server's anti-cheat defenses "kicks" in. On that note it would be nice if bzfs would retain scores for, say, up to ten minutes after tanks leave in case they rejoin quickly.