How to create a server

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

How to create a server

Post by Lan »

Many people have asked how to create a server, and I will give a brief starter explanation here.

First, you need to familiarize yourself with BZFS, the server program. It is the same folder as BZFlag, as it comes with the distribution. Change to this directory, and enter "bzfs -help" to get a list of all options and their descriptions. This should get you familiar enough.

Next, there are a few essential options to creating a server that you must have. The main one is to have an address for users to connect to. Use BZFS option "-publicaddr" to set this. It can be an IP address, or a domain pointing to your computer. If you want your server private, do not give BZFS a description, so skip the next sentence. To give your server a description for the server list, add BZFS option "-public" with the description following it, in quotes (only the actual description in quotes, that is). These two commands are essential, and the rest is just up to you to configure to how you like.

It is recommended to put the entire command line for BZFS into a shell script/batch file, or even a simple text file that you will give bzfs to read from using option "-conf FILE" with FILE being the name of the file (and path if it's not in the BZFlag directory, in quotes). This way, you only have to type everything once, and can edit it all easily.

When you have chosen what you want your server to be like, and you have written out all the options to pass to BZFS on the command line to configure it to how you want, you will want to actually do it. If you decided not to store everything in a script/batch file/config file, simply open up a console window (CMD.exe on Windows), change to the BZFlag directory, and type "bzfs " followed by all the options you want to pass to it. If you decided to put all the options into a shell script or a batch file, simply run that script/batch file. If you put all the options (not the "bzfs" part, just the options, listed one option per newline), run it by calling BZFS with "bzfs -conf FILE", replacing FILE with the config file name/path, and it takes care of the rest by reading all the options from that file.

If you want a public server, make sure it is on the list before you assume it worked, otherwise, just try connecting to it.

Further references:

http://bzflag.org/wiki/CreatingAServer
#bzflag on IRC--irc.freenode.net
http://sf.net/projects/bzflag
http://bzbb.bzflag.org

Good luck.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

Lan56 while this is nice, I would like to have one that is more of a step by step with what to do for each OS. also The title sucks :)
ImageJeffM
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

If you want a complete one, read the wiki page. It's talks about every OS that's supported on how to set everything up, plus what to do afterwards and before.

The title, I felt, would help relieve some frustration, as well as make notice on it, when it comes to the topic of teaching how to create a server with the current 80 servers, 9 pages long :)
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

forum threads come and go . thats why these same questions always pop up now and again . many of answers can be found at the main BZflag.org site .

but i think all that peeps need is something more easily found ... always there , and in simplified , clear , easy to understand instructions(step-by-step).

a good reference , for those who are not computer experts in the least bit ;P
and for the computer experts , to speed read over and snicker at ;)

what bamf. did with the CVS compiling thingie is a good example ... made it look less difficult and less scary ;)

perhaps include alil mention in the manual pages of the next BZflag version on where to go on the web if they have any questions about starting a server , server options , maps , server commands , ect...

after they have read it ... if they still have problems ...then they should seek advice from other people[on irc or the forums].

also , i think there should also be some sort of "d@m Map Maker's tip guide" , "Intro to BZflag 101 d@mmit" , and "BZflag compiling/development in a d@m nutshell"

;)
Attachments
s n i c k a.jpg
s n i c k a.jpg (5.45 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

The manual pages aren't the greatest reference since there are some parts that need updating.

At least I tried to make a good thread.

At least RC Cola already made a cover design, should there ever be a book on the topic :)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yes RC, we need a step by step, I'll make it sticky. Lan the wiki is not bad, but it's not a step by step, it's more on "way" you should run a server.

It needs to be "do this.. do this.. do this" and show how to set up a server with common options, and set up routers, and all that. then refrence the man pages and wiki for more info... I'm talking about a tutorial, not just some words that nobody will read.

tho with 104 servers, maybe we don't realy need anymore.
ImageJeffM
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Just change around the word ordering in the wiki, and boom you have it, I'd say.

Re: How to create a server

Post by Guest »

lan56 wrote:Many people have asked how to create a server, and I will give a brief starter explanation here.

First, you need to familiarize yourself with BZFS, the server program. It is the same folder as BZFlag, as it comes with the distribution. Change to this directory, and enter "bzfs -help" to get a list of all options and their descriptions. This should get you familiar enough.

Next, there are a few essential options to creating a server that you must have. The main one is to have an address for users to connect to. Use BZFS option "-publicaddr" to set this. It can be an IP address, or a domain pointing to your computer. If you want your server private, do not give BZFS a description, so skip the next sentence. To give your server a description for the server list, add BZFS option "-public" with the description following it, in quotes (only the actual description in quotes, that is). These two commands are essential, and the rest is just up to you to configure to how you like.

It is recommended to put the entire command line for BZFS into a shell script/batch file, or even a simple text file that you will give bzfs to read from using option "-conf FILE" with FILE being the name of the file (and path if it's not in the BZFlag directory, in quotes). This way, you only have to type everything once, and can edit it all easily.

When you have chosen what you want your server to be like, and you have written out all the options to pass to BZFS on the command line to configure it to how you want, you will want to actually do it. If you decided not to store everything in a script/batch file/config file, simply open up a console window (CMD.exe on Windows), change to the BZFlag directory, and type "bzfs " followed by all the options you want to pass to it. If you decided to put all the options into a shell script or a batch file, simply run that script/batch file. If you put all the options (not the "bzfs" part, just the options, listed one option per newline), run it by calling BZFS with "bzfs -conf FILE", replacing FILE with the config file name/path, and it takes care of the rest by reading all the options from that file.

If you want a public server, make sure it is on the list before you assume it worked, otherwise, just try connecting to it.

Further references:

http://bzflag.org/wiki/CreatingAServer
#bzflag on IRC--irc.freenode.net
http://sf.net/projects/bzflag
http://bzbb.bzflag.org

Good luck.
The copy I downloaded just had the game and nothing else at all.

I'm trying to setup a server on my webhost. Firstly, will that work?
If so, I have a .conf file which points to a map I have. I ahve put both in the same place; bzflag.kaziaz.com but this is not listed on the server list in the game.
What am I doing wrong?
legoatmsk

Post by legoatmsk »

ok i have tried making a server but i can't and i know your trying to tell other people but i can't understand it it's too complicated! I need simple instructions! :(
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I did mine yesterday, its running 2 castles right now, purple vs green with rogue. It is kind of hard at first, it takes some time, but on the other hand it can be very easy! Good probability on your server starting 8-)
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

There are no simple instructions. Running a server is not an easy thing, as planning, memorizing, maintanance, experience with several elements, and knowledge of what resources you have, and how to use these is required.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

acutaly somone needs to make a step by step. Sorry Lan56 your is not easy to follow, and yes it can be made a simple thing.
ImageJeffM

Post by Guest »

Please can someone make a step-by-step?
I Beg of Thee!! lol
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

I'm actually working on a step-by-step page of how to set up a server. For example, in step 1 it asks you:
What best describes the computer you want to host on:
1) A computer of my own with a direct connection to the internet (no router/switch)
2) A computer of my own with an indirect connection to the Internet (using a router or LAN)
3) A computer that I don't have physical access to
4) I want to host it on my web site
The last choice is there due to a somewhat common belief that you can host a server on your web site. Selecting that will explain why it's not possible. ;)
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Post by Guest »

Cool. Looks like exactly what a lot of us need. Any idea when it'll be ready?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Not really sure, as I'm just doing it in my free time.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Post by Guest »

Fair eough. But sooner rather than later... ;) hehe. Please!
Faby_
Private
Private

Post by Faby_ »

If i've created a server, hes not in the serverlist. :? ive made a line, named -publiaddr bzflag.everybody-cha-cha.ch
and a line named -publiclist MapServer. But he isn't in the list. :( Why?

Greetz Faby_ :cry:
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

yoyu don't need to specify the -publiclist line, but you do need to make sure your bzflag port is open to outside conenctions.
ImageJeffM
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Also, you misspelled "-publicaddr" (you missed the 'c'). I don't know if you did when giving it to BZFS, but that is an essential part of the commands.
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

ok I went into it and I got to here

If you don't want to have a batch file or for some reason your batch file doesn't work, here is a procedure that always works: from the start menu in your windows machine, look for the "command prompt" and click on it. A black window will open up. Type: cd "c:\Program Files\BZFlag1.10.6" (this should work in most cases, unless you installed BZFlag in a different directory).

Now what does this part mean:(change what is between quotes with the exact location of the configuration file).

Once you are there type: bzfs -conf "C:\Program Files\BZFlag1.10.6\Data\bzfs.conf" (change what is between quotes with the exact location of the configuration file).

once i know that i can do the rest.