wall bug...

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

wall bug...

Post by The Red Baron »

I've noticed on ducati, quol, and proxs, that you can shoot through the wall that is parrallel to your base. Typically it's only happened to me near the corners. Its not something that's major to me, but it comes as a surprise and aggravation when i want to rico and hit my opponent behind me, and it just goes right through the wall :? :D

I haven't seen it go through at a 90 degree angle, just your mild 5-20 degree. I'm assuming this is a bug in the texturing. Would it also help if I'm runing 1.10.6 instead of 1.10.4?

Thanks
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Most likely this isn't a bug at all, but use of the new shootThrough map feature, from 1.10.x.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

hey lan I know this has nothing to do with subject, but optical-delusion has same avatar as you :) exact.

I've not had probs with it rb not sure why you are, maybe upgrade to 1.10.6 is all I can tell ya
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

i tried 1.10.6 last night, and it happened again.. this isn't a building or pyramid. Its the arena wall. The big square thingy that encompassses the whole map ;)
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Red Baron: in that case, that shouldn't be a problem, it is a bug, but in that case if it's only the arena wall at least the shots won't hit anyone.

Ducatiwannabe: heh, I had it first so he stole it from me :)
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

yea, that's my problem lan56... I would like the shots to hit people... preferablly the guy behind me who wants his/my flag... :)
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

hmm curious..
im using 1.10.6(Windows version) and play alot on those same maps , but i've never had or seen that problem you're describing .

does it happen all the time ? often ? sometimes ? or rarely?
if you stay and shoot in the corner at the angle you mentioned , do all the shots go through or just a few ?

maybe it's not a bug ...but some kind of other puter issue?

-or-

1.10.2 and .4 was buggy . i think 1.10.6 fixed a few of them . even if you upgraded to 1.10.6 later on and still have 1.10.4 installed ..could there still be conflicts?

i know when i tried to use 1.11.15 last night , that it also affected my other bz version 1.10.6 in some ways(video and control settings , display preferences , ect.)

i think if 1 client version can affect another different client version then it can be considered a bug .

anyways , im not a puter expert so my 2 cents here is really only worth 1 ;)
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Red Baron: exactly, so take your problems elsewhere :) jk I know what you mean, I can see how my msg was insisting this isn't something to be worried about, which I didn't mean. It is indeed an issue, and shouldn't be ignored, and it won't.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

lol... I know you're joking with me lan...

It doesn't happend to me all the time, just once in a while. Try driving along with the wall and see if your shots go through it. Maybe its that your barrel sticks through the wall... :D
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Red Baron: Are you using a hardware accelerated video card, or software rendering? Also, what are you getting for a frame rate. Low frame rates can cause issues with collision detection sometimes.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

60-75 fps

refresh my memory on the two acceleration differences blast... :D I'm trying to remember, but failing to do so :D
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

what video card do you have? That's the best way to know what is doing your rendering.
ImageJeffM
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

ok, now that's a question i can answer.

Geforce2 driver 61.77 32mb of memorry

intel 82810E and since they eat drivers, i don't know what version it is :)

But those are the two computers i've had it happen to me....
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the Gf2 should be fine for framerate.

the i810 should be abysmal and be shot.
ImageJeffM
Rebel Chik0rita
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Rebel Chik0rita »

i found the "hole" in the wall ;P

there's spot on the ducati-type map wall where you apparently are able to shoot through . it's can VeRy difficult to find ... but once you find it ..you can sit there all day and have all your shots go through it .

the easiest hole that i can locate and describe is found along the wall on the green base side(east) . you have to face kind of towards the north-east corner at a sharp angle . the hole is at the 3rd grid block-wall intersection ...away from the corner ...so if you position your tank at 4 grid blocks away from the north wall... and a quarter of a grid block from the east wall ... you should be able to get a good shot at it . it's hard to find ... maybe that's why alot of people haven't noticed it before . you may discover it easier by shooting while your tank is in motion .

since the ducati-type map is a random yet symmetrical map ...im guessing the hole will probably appear on the opposite west wall too .

whats funny is ...when the shot(s) go through the east wall ...it will continue going until it reaches a phantom north wall extension ..and ricochet off it =P

another player was with me and saw my shots go through .. he even did it himself a few times as well ...so it wasn't just my imagination ;P

my lag was relatively low(@100ms) and i was getting good framerates(@60fps) using a computer with a GeForce2 MX w/32mb video card ... but im pretty sure i could recreate this wall bug with another computer/card combination .

hope this info. helps =)