Version 1.11.*!!!

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Version 1.11.*!!!

Post by brad2901 »

I have found a bug that is extremely important. (for me anyway) :). It is not possible to say "1" on that version which means my name always comes out as brad290 :(. Has anybody else found this problem and btw im on 1.11.16
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The server has a "lame" filter now for callsigns. So, if you have too many other characters (like numbers or symbols) compared to letters, it will trigger the filter. This is to prevent people with names like "Fhdf9sdj39f0s" from joining.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

well there are ppl like "4" who are fine players and i think just because of that "lame" filter they can't play! that's crazy!

also on my server for some reason it pleeps out part of the CLIENTQUERY info :) but i don't give a .
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

they should get better names.
ImageJeffM
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

Come on pat! you can't just get a better name! with that attitude we should just have our IP's as our calls!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

lame names show that a user dosn't care enough about his in game persona to even come up wiht a good name.

Your name... it's good. "4"... not such a good name.. I'm sure he's a very cool guy and a great player, just has a sucky name.
ImageJeffM
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

except for the time you called yourself "lord of gavity" that was just stupid ;)

the name filter has been in for a long time and it prevents a number of name problems. People will just have to think a tad harder when they make a callsign. I mean at some point that name is going to be registerd, so it better be a good one, because it'll be tied to you, and you alone.
ImageJeffM
brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 »

So pat, are saying "brad2901" is a "lame" name because is you are i will be deeply offended :(
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

acroding to the lame nick caclulator it is, you can't have half your nick be numbers.
ImageJeffM
brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 »

aaaw but that sux, everybody knows me by this name, what am i supposed to do?
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

yah pat you [stop's in mid sentence cough's mutters and says something to his secretary in a very low tone]. well just make an exception for brad2901!
brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 »

thnx scorch, glad someone is finally backing me :)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

we will not hardcode exceptions into the game.

Think hard and I'm sure you'll figure something out.
ImageJeffM
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Can a server admin disable the "lame nick prevention"?
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I don't think so. Once Karma is implemented the server won't be responsible for Callsigns anyway, you'll have to register your name with the master karma server with a valid e-mail address.
ImageJeffM
brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 »

does that mean servers do not store user databases and passwords?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

At present they do, but the plan is to have it all stored in one centeral database, so that global karma can work.
ImageJeffM
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

ok waht if someone besides me registers my nick in "master karma"?!?!?!
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

PL, didn't you share with me once before that there will be a way to control which "master" server might be used, or to turn it off, so that you could have more than one community of users if desired? Or ignore the community and just use a local database, as in for testing and other special purposes?

I am a fan of the general community server for multi-server registration.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

toaster that is for the master ban list.

that is not karma. Karma has yet to be fully implemented. From what I undersand servers can allow non identified users to play, but I don't know how it will work.

Karma is Tim's baby and he keeps it to himself.
ImageJeffM
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

No, PatLabor, not that recent discussion on the master ban list.

I think much longer ago there was a discussion about the ID server, and whether or not we would be able to have more than one ID registration server (or whether a server admin could choose to not verify users against that server. I don't even recall this being tied to the karma discussion.

It could have been someone else that answered the question, might not have been you.

Now, this brings to mind another point. Given the recent list server problems, there should be some redundancy with any kind of important community server/service like these.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

BTW, this whole concept of a name being lame because it's half numbers really got me laughing. It's a rather arbitrary ruling.

So who's going to contact Arthur C. Clarke and tell him that HAL2000 is a lame name?
-toaster
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Yeah, I personally don't see a real reason for the lame name stuff. If someone wants to register Blabla12345678 when the karma/registration server is done, that's their problem.

brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 »

Isn't this quite a bad idea because if as server owner keeps logs and looks up peoples passwords then he would have the ability to cause havoc on other server especially if he gets an admins password... :!: (i've seen this happen for a few times now)
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

The server won't get user's password. They just get notified that the password was valid. Only the registration server will know your password.