bz no longer fun

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
stevr59
Private First Class
Private First Class

bz no longer fun

Post by stevr59 »

hey guys just wanted to say what good is it to even play bzflag i get banned by server after sever just cuz my lag runs 240 ms i only have dail up and that is the best i can do wish there was a way the lag could be fixed but looks like it cant i am out in da woods no cable or dsl out here. so i quess all i can do is deleted bzflag and move on to other things. i tryed to find a server that i dont lag on but its the same thing even on my own server i am lagging. i been playing for years and had great fun but most server admins take this game to serious , and to the admins who just kicked me. i played the on your server wile i was getting my butt kicked by hurricane ivan and my lag was higher then. and yes i was right in the worse path of ivan i know 6 familys who lost every thing.but any way back to the point bzflag is no longer a fun game any more thanks to the admins who run them,thanks for the fun times and good luck with the newer versoins of bz .
the great AsSwIpE is no more :evil:
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

with a lag of 240 you should have no problem but ok. you may join my server it has a lagwarn time of 500 ms if that doesn't kick you.
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

For what its worth...

Alot of people forget this; You can use a service, because of those who run them. You cannot really blame them for doing it the way they like it. If you feel its unfair, you could just make your own server and configure it as you think is good. Or ask an admin polity to consider changing the setup.

I dont run a server, but i offer a free service. I get mails where problem demand me to do something or tells me im a jerk, because i wont obey what they like. Or that me service sucks because xyz is much better. They got it all wrong. Its free - you are allowed to use it. Period. If you dont like it, use something else. Beeing impolite towards the guys/gals who uses money and time on running something, might just end up with him or her dropping the service.

Ofcause, if people ask me or suggest changes, in a good tone - I'll reply and consider it. But saying that xyz was ruined by admins is just plain stupid. It does not fix anything.

However, I think most of the servers I use dosnt kick anyone before they reach at least 300 ms. So I dont understand why you cant find any allowing you to play with 240ms.
I don't need huge pictures here.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

1.12 (the next release coming out, hopefully, soon) will have some great rendering speed improvements and lag speed improvements, so I'd stick around for that one, stevr59, it may just help you enough to get by without worry.
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

lag ban

Post by sid6.7 »

there are no lag bans on my server i have always allowed
up to 500ms...sometimes i have run a 350ms but i dont
ban anyone...the lagkick feature works great for lag....
so there is no need to ban anyone...and again the original
tim riker word on it was 500ms is good/avg...and acceptable
/normal on a server...

i remember an old poll on shellshock where they asked
what is the favorite amount of players on a server and
8 was winning hands down i think....alot of server people
want to run 20+ or higher when they should really be
down around the 8 people level...if folks were more
open to 8 or so i think we would see less lag problems..
now it wont elimniate lag but it might help a few of
our dialup people that are left out there...and 250ms
on dialup is VERY good im suprised you could get that low
mine was always 490-550ms.....dsl got me down to the
300ms range and now cable gets me down below 100ms
sometimes...NOTE: max poeple is not the only reason
for lag there are other issues...

but then again a server owner runs his/her server as they wish
just keep floating around there are 2-3 that wont ban you...
Freedom_fig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Freedom_fig »

ahh.....

anyone who has lag settings under 300ms is just evil! :evil: They can't do that! I have had a bad streak and i just left for a while... (3 weeks) people need to learn to live with lag... people just complain because they're bad.
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

Ohh my head..I still cant get over the bzflag is no fun part ouch
Freedom_fig
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Freedom_fig »

ya i hate wen people say it ......because i used to:(
ducati spanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducati spanker »

I say it is the best game ever
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

Hey your on ducati Spanker hurray
Gollum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Gollum »

:cry: I never again will come in this topic it maketh me sad :cry:
ducati spanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducati spanker »

you are to awww :roll: .............. :D
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

Bean: I couldn't agree with you more, you spoke my mind.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

It's silly to ban over lag...stick around, the bzflag should change. Your always welcome at my server:

zoom.servegame.com

P.S. I'm baaaaaack
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

ducati spanker wrote:I say it is the best game ever
I agree.
[dmp]
Captain
Captain

Post by [dmp] »

If you have 10shots server, then you are not as dependant on lag delay. I mean. If you miss two shot, you still got 8 left you can use.. However, of you only got two shots then you are more dependant that your two shots hits. To do that, you need lower lag - as you can't just spread the shots around your opponent.

Personally I think 300ms is max for 2shot (ducati style) server. When people get higher, it begins to influence the game, making it no fun the others. (Whats the fun in hitting or missing someguy at random. You can to some point compensate .. )

imho, its ok to ban if people lag - and they keep rejoining when they're lagkicked.. Most seem to have forgotten why there is a lag-kick. You shouldnt rejoin and continue.
I don't need huge pictures here.
stevr59
Private First Class
Private First Class

thanks

Post by stevr59 »

thanks for the suport guys i am not saying bz is not a good game it is a dam good game but here laely its the admins who make it not fun the last few server i payed on all did the same thing to me i wouild be hitting in around 240 to 450 ms and they tell me to leave cuz i am lagging and the next thing i know i been banned and the last server it was a player who told me to leave i quess hes friends of the admins cuz i got banned the reson giving for the ban was lag.when i ran my server i only kicked when the lag got to 600ms and never banned any one for any reson but had to shut mine down cuz evey one kept going nr every 5 min. but any ways i will give your servers a try and have some fun :D
Red Baron2
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Red Baron2 »

thats great man, hope you still stick around, there's been times when i've felt like leaving, but i would have regretted it. its always worth it to keep trying :)
"Those who say they have never been afraid are either lying, or their life has never amounted to much. Fear is nothing to be ashamed of. Often it makes man a better fighter, it inhances his senses, it gives him caution, and other qualities he will need. So when i am about, be wise....and fear."

-Wolf Tarlon-