What makes a good server

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

What makes a good server

Post by RPG »

This is what I think makes a good server. If you want to add or debate me, hey, its a free forum.

A good server needs...
1. No shot limits on flags. Unless it's an extreme case, like geno on hepcat, then there shouldn't be shot limits. All flags have their counter. Let people with the counter flag take out the person with the really good flag.
2. An interesting map. By 'interesting' I mean have objects to hide behind, buildings to jump on, world weapons to keep you in check, the goods. All without making it lag too much.
3. Fair players. Giving cheaters the boot is the job of the server. It should make sure nobody runs along with their cheat client unnoticed.
4. Slight tweakage. If your server is just like all the rest, it can get boring. You could speed up the tanks alittle, ban certian flags, mess with the gravity, change flag properties, etc.

I hope that once I can find a stable machine my server will have all of these qualities.

The views expressed in this message are solely the views of RPG and do not reflect the views of BZFlag Centrum Forums.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

(grassrootsportals) geno has NO counter!
brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 »

Last time i checked it had a geno limit of 10 shots.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

yes, grassroots does now have a counter.

I agree with #1, #2, and #3. I'm not too keen on #4 though. But bear in mind I'm usually a CTF ducati player. However, I used to play alot of FFA.

I'm a purist when it comes to bzflag. keep it stock. I don't prefer crazy servers with extremely high jump, warp speed tanks, gm doing donuts, lasers that last 5 min, etc.

however What most servers lack these days is a proper flag balance. They've thrown that out and implimented shot limits instead.

throw in a ton of GM, but add a heck of a lot of ST, Tiny, Narrow and V to counter it. Don't limit Laser, Add CL, B to counter it. There is a proper flag balance, the only flag that has no real "counter-weight" is Geno, you need rouges then, but still...

also, i've never had any real "hype" for World Weapons. They're ok, but i just don't like them. If it was my call, i wouldn't run them on a server. but thats my .02.

also promote skill, not just "spray and wipe" tactics. Don't make it 10 shots, make it 3-5
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

And make sure that a ground-based laser can't wipe out everyone on the map with a single, endlessly ricocheting shot. That's what pyramids are for.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

what i meant was if geno had no LIMIT on grassrootsportals then there would be NO counter flag.
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

crap

Post by sid6.7 »

toaster wrote:And make sure that a ground-based laser can't wipe out everyone on the map with a single, endlessly ricocheting shot. That's what pyramids are for.
OH NO I AGREE!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! HELP HELP
im converting to the goodside!!!! what will my
darkside friends say....AHHHHHHH!!!

:)
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: crap

Post by toaster »

sid6.7 wrote:
toaster wrote:And make sure that a ground-based laser can't wipe out everyone on the map with a single, endlessly ricocheting shot. That's what pyramids are for.
OH NO I AGREE!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! HELP HELP
im converting to the goodside!!!! what will my
darkside friends say....AHHHHHHH!!!

:)
Great, now I gotta change my callsign. :)
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

Speaking of tweaks, has anyone seen the mapchange on pillbox?
brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 »

Speaking of tweaks, has anyone seen the mapchange on pillbox?
Yeah, not much has changed. Now there is an H near each base.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

huh? oh neat I'll go check that one out.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

ok, if you havn't noticed, i'm gathering ideas for the perfect server...
brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 »

I don't know whether you have mentioned this but i think a good server should be fully monitored.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

and if you do not have time for monotoring it every second, than make some admin/cops that you can trust.
ping
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ping »

I would have to disagree on the No shot limits on flags.

I sat on a server today with a no shot limit for GM. The map had a nice high ledge and I just sat there and scored 100 unanswered kills. I can hold my own in skill level but there are far better players than myself. I can only imagine they could probably sit all day and ruin a game. By the time I left, most of the other players had left in frustration. I could kill anything but the ST that went for the teleporter and would just hammer the ST using direct site fire as they tried to come through.

I think GM and G flags should always be limited and I generally like to see the Laser have a shot limit as well.

Couldn't agree more with the laser shot statement made by toaster. I have recently put up a server and map and have been adding some "laser" panels along a number of the walls to help reduce the excessive laser ricochet.

My personal peeve are servers that cover the ground with flags. This is silly. There are some servers that have so many maps, it is difficult to read the radar. One of the most popular servers comes to mind.