How do I give a compiled version to other linux users?

Questions or HOWTOs about the above? Post 'em here...
ssbfalcon
Private First Class
Private First Class

How do I give a compiled version to other linux users?

Post by ssbfalcon »

I tried sending the created dir, with the bin, man, and share directories, but it won't run on other machines... Any tips? BTW, they all are running Knoppix (Debian)
Starbucks, mind control at it's best!
Tim Riker
Maintainer
Maintainer

Linux packaging

Post by Tim Riker »

knoppix uses .deb packages like debian (which it is based on). BZFlag 1.10 is in the debian feeds and so can be installed with:

Code: Select all

apt-get install bzflag\*
I've also put up test debian builds for debian unstable on the builds directory:

http://my.bzflag.org/builds/
Tim Riker - http://rikers.org/ - Tim@Rikers.org
BZFlag maintainer - http://BZFlag.org/ - for fun!
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

(I'm on one of the target machines SSB's referring to)

I've been using the OBLISK download (1.10.6, since I'm not aware of a 10.8 build with it), because it allows installation to a user directory without root privileges. Recently it stopped working for some reason, and then the directory was wiped anyway, so I need to get a new version back on there. Now - and this is coming from a Linux semi-newbie - do all packages (rpm, deb) require superuser access for installation? If so, what would be the easiest alternative: building it myself, trying OBLISK again, or simply copying the directories from SSB's build?
"Nifty News Fifty: When news breaks, we give you the pieces."
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Workaphobia wrote:Now - and this is coming from a Linux semi-newbie - do all packages (rpm, deb) require superuser access for installation?
No, rpm in and of itself only requires su access for a couple of things: updating its database of installed packages and associated information, and installing components that either go in protected directories or that have special user permissions/ownerships which your non-su account would be unable to create. Most likely, the package database is protected, and that might force you to su. Of course, installing in a system directory is also going to force you to su, unless you have a less than secure system.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Well I don't want to install to /usr/games/bin or anything, I just want something within my home directory that'll allow me to run the game and server. I've heard that fakeroot might come in handy for this sort of thing - do you know if that would work?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

if it's built with the same runtime libs, platform, and everyting ( same GL, same archetecture, etc... ) just tarball up the applications and the data dir, and send it to someone.
ImageJeffM
ssbfalcon
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ssbfalcon »

I found one problem, when I did that, they were running different knoppix versions. I used 3.6 while the other used 3.7...
Starbucks, mind control at it's best!
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

probably easyest to just have them build, or use apt to get it as Tim says

unless you made changes to your code.
ImageJeffM
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Ok, I managed to get everything compiled and running on one machine, but when I move the three directories (bin, man, and share) into another location, it gives me an error about not being able to find the fonts - this is the same error I get when I tried to use SSB's build. What other dependency files am I missing?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

you missed the data dir, it needs that.
ImageJeffM
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

That didn't quite do it. I don't understand how bzflag knows where to look for the data directory - there aren't any configuration files that I can see. I really hope I don't have to execute the install scripts again every time I want to change the relative path.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

it has a set of predefined paths it will look in

the bigest being ./data

so if the data is in the same dir as the current working dir then it should be ok..

and the RPMS or other packages that are out there are not good enough? how is your version difrent from those?
ImageJeffM
Workaphobia
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Workaphobia »

Today was the end of vacation so I finally got access to the machine again. I updated the CVS and compiled everything fine, but when I ran it - this time with the data directory in the correct location - I got a black screen with a mouse cursor. I could still navigate blindly through the menu and F12 out without a problem.

I suspect this is an SDL issue, so before I try this again I guess I should figure out how to install that on the system.

Thanks for the help anyway :)