quickMessage in 1.10.8 ?

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

quickMessage in 1.10.8 ?

Post by toaster »

Has anyone else noticed that the quickMessage feature doesn't seem to work as documented?

In my config file, I add the following lines:

quickTeamMessage1 hi
quickMessage1 hi

Then I run bzflag. The keys don't do anything (Alt-F1 and Ctrl-F1).

I exit bzflag, and I edit the file, and those two lines have been removed.

I've tested this a dozen times, adding the lines, close the file, open the file to make sure they're there, then run bzflag. Same thing every time.

Running WinXP and the 1.10.8 build off SourceForge.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 »

Works fine for me on WinXP - perhaps you didn't put set in front..

set quickMessage1 hi
set quickTeamMessage1 hi
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

brad2901 wrote:Works fine for me on WinXP - perhaps you didn't put set in front..

set quickMessage1 hi
set quickTeamMessage1 hi
I'll try that. I used the syntax in the wiki, no "set" shown. Also found it in an old post here by SGI, again without the set. Something must have changed.

Thanks!
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

Key word there is "old" post. 1.7 didn't require the "set" keyword, 1.10 and above do. The wiki page should be corrected, which page was it?
blast
General
General

Post by blast »

Actually, you can set the quick messages from inside the client. Look at the last item in the key mapping menu.
"In addition to knowing the secrets of the Universe, I can assure you that I am also quite potty trained." -Koenma (Yu Yu Hakusho)

toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

DTRemenak wrote:Key word there is "old" post. 1.7 didn't require the "set" keyword, 1.10 and above do. The wiki page should be corrected, which page was it?
Okay, here is the page I was on. I haven't been able to trace how I got there, but that's where I ended up.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

Interestingly, that's not even a wiki page, but one of the old static help pages. Wonder how many others like it there are...they should probably be moved into the wiki and updated.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Wouldn't it be easier to set your quick messages inside the client (last button on key mapping page) so you wouldn't have to mess with configs and risking the explosion of your computer?
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

DTRemenak wrote:Interestingly, that's not even a wiki page, but one of the old static help pages. Wonder how many others like it there are...they should probably be moved into the wiki and updated.
Hehehe, guess you'd have to be one of the supersecretadmin forum members to know. ;)
RPG wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to set your quick messages inside the client (last button on key mapping page) so you wouldn't have to mess with configs and risking the explosion of your computer?
Yes, well, I had been trying to edit it by text editor per the docs, and didn't realize until blast posted that there was an option within the client. I couldn't admit total defeat, could I?

By the way, Brad2901, thanks again. Worked fine.
-toaster
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

dont you need ""'s?