2.0.0 xfree hang

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
Jarod
Private First Class
Private First Class

2.0.0 xfree hang

Post by Jarod »

i just downloaded the latest stable release, and compiled it, and i can't just run bzflag, if i do the screen just goes black and hangs xfree, if i run with -window its fine, but if i try to resize the window it segfaults, i get error messaged such as "sdl parachute deployed" and "missing pointer at..." i have tryed compiling withoput -fomit-frame-pointer to no avail, i'm running gentoo linux on an athlon xp 2500 with an nvidia tnt2 for video, i'd love to get this game going as something other than an tiny box that i can't hardly see (although it does make the game more interesting!)
hope you can help,
Thanks,
Jarod
Tegan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tegan »

This may not help, but have you tried deleting (or better, renaming w/.bak) your .bzf directory before invoking the new build? If not, maybe try that in case there's something stuck in the config that accounts for this.
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

You can specify the size on the commandline too. e.g. run "bzflag -window -geometry 1024x768" or whatever size you want the window to be. Not saying your bugs don't deserve to be looked into, because they do, but this can be used as a workaround right now.
Jarod
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jarod »

i tryed the removing the .bzf dir, and recompiling to no avail, but the geometry thing does work, could it be something that i had this system built for a voodoo5 and then had to go back to the nvidia, could be something related to that, i've tryed -no3dfx, but that didn't work either, perhaps new drivers from nvidia? better prepare myself for a long download...
Jarod
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Jarod »

ok, i fixed it, changed defaultdepth "16" to defaultdepth "24" in xf86config, and recompiled with gcc-3.2.3 and it works flawlessly now, although i play worse now against the computer players (-solo) :shock: