2.0.0 Windows version not running Win2000

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
pocket
Private
Private

2.0.0 Windows version not running Win2000

Post by pocket »

I cannot get 2.0.0 windows version to run on Win2000 (or WinNT for that matter). I've even loaded the OpenGL and DirectX libraries with no luck.
The previous 1.10.8 version still runs fine.

What I get when I run the program is a very dark (grey) screen with four
titles in the lower middle right side of the screen (server is one of them).
I get an hourglass except when the cursor is in an invisible box in the middle of the screen. Windows does not respond so I must reboot to exit.

Any ideas?

pocket
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Most likely its your graphic card. As I had a similar problem with windows 2000 and an outdated ATI card.

to best Diagnos you problem we need to know what kind/type of video card you have, and perhaps what drivers you have.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

Post by I_Died_Once »

I use Windows 2000 on two of my machines, and BZ 2.0 works without issue.

Sorry to shoot ya down...

Your problem lies not within the OS itself, but likely a setting somewhere or another.
...This has been a recording.
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

I had problems both on my Windows 2000 and Windows XP machines. Renaming the "My BZFlag Files" folder in the "my documents" folder to something else resolved the issue (it didn't like some file written by 1.10.x I guess)
pocket
Private
Private

Post by pocket »

I found the solution: I turned off Norton Internet Security Professional 2004 and 2.0.0 started up fine. (FYI, my video card is a Radeon 9600XT 128 MB). The startup screen I saw before was all dark except for four words in the lower middle right side of the screen: "All Chat Server Admin".

Thanks for hints. I did upgrade my video driver just in case. I guess there is some check on startup that Norton is preventing 2.0.0 from performing?

pocket