server drops player immediately 1.10.8

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
proboscide99
Private
Private

server drops player immediately 1.10.8

Post by proboscide99 »

I'm running a server 1.10.8.10041005 W32 and often, when an user logs in and presses 'I' key to join the battle, nothing happens and the message "Press I to start" never disappears.

I've been watching another player's screen (of course logged on the same server) while this was happening, and assuming that the NOT-accepted user callsign was "test", I can read the following in the other player's log:

"test: joining as a tank"
"test: signing off"

of course the player "test" never signed off, because he didn't even know he "joined as a tank" for a few moments.

I didn't find problems like this already discussed so I decided to post. I suppose the server's .conf file would be helpful, so I attach it to the message.

May somebody please help me solving this problem? I've already tried some different server setup without success.

Thanks a lot in advance
Alessandro
Attachments
poppi1.conf.txt
configuration file
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

1. 1.10.8 is obsolete :wink:
2. Do you use Windows? What are the other specs on your computer?
proboscide99
Private
Private

Post by proboscide99 »

Your question makes me feel that I'm not dealing with a common, well known problem. The server runs on a very old celeron 600 with win98Se (sic) updated to the latest critical patches.

The pc is equipped with sygate personal edition and avast. It is connected to the internet through an ADSL router/firewall that forwards port 51540 TCP(used by the server) to that machine.

The problem occurs just sometimes, but it's annoying enough.

I was wondering that the conf file contained some unusual, buggy setup... do you think that those settings are not causing the problem?

The machine runs 24/7, may you try to login to see if it happens to you too, from time to time? Sooner or later I will try to connect via a client under debugger to see if the cause can be tracked down...

Thanks!
Alessandro
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

AAH! Windows!

Your problem is a very well known one. BZFS has had issues with Windows since the beginning of time. The only real solution is to make the switch to Linux. When you look at the server logs, does it say "ECONNRESET/PIPE" or something to that effect when a player tries to join? That will confirm you are stuck in the Windows Problem.

As I said before, theres no way around this. Linux hosts servers fine.