Different flags

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
chandler583
Private First Class
Private First Class

Different flags

Post by chandler583 »

Just curious about this, what flag would you like to be removed?
Reality is nice place to visit, but i wouldn't want to live there. :)
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I'd like the useless flags like steamroller and useless removed.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

steamroller is good but hard to use (unless your a camper.)
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

How can you camp with steamroller?
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

vipers, two castles, on there base. its so bleepin annoying!
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Useless is an easteregg - it shouldnt be removed.

I would like to see Wings removed. Maybe some of the bad flags like jamming, too.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

not removed for wings, but a lot less of them on seriuous servers and slide time enabled all the time.
orbit
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by orbit »

oops
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Don't remove SR. That can be a powerful flag, provided you know how to use it.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
Smidge204
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Smidge204 »

Steamroller is an EXCELLENT flag, especially for dealing with Narrow or Tiny. It's particularly effective when you and the other guy end up jumping at eachother. It's also worth noting that SR has a small "area of effect", and it's possible to get a player above you if they are on a relatively thin platform: Jump up directly under him and bonk your head on the platform, and if he didn't jump in time he gets squished.

(Obviously assumes jumping is enabled...)
=Smidge=
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

How could steamroller deal with narrow and tiny? Wouldn't you be dead before you got that close to a N or T?
Smidge204
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Smidge204 »

Because all you have to do is get close to them. Your tank is a lot bigger than a bullet. As stated before, it depends heavily on the skill of the player.

Now, to take out a SW with SR... you'ld have to be a real badass!
=Smidge=
QuantumBeep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by QuantumBeep »

One of the great strengths of SR is that when you are locked in a "dance" with another tank, you win by default. It's one of my favorites for 1x1.

Also, you can sit just inside a teleporter and murder anything that comes through. Good way to make people hate you.

SR works through walls. If a tank is touching one side of a thin wall, touching the other side will kill them (GMs also have this property).
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

QuantumBeep wrote: SR works through walls. If a tank is touching one side of a thin wall, touching the other side will kill them (GMs also have this property).
Horizontally thats not an advantage. Every normal shot can go through a thin wall. On HIX2 you can shoot through the thin 45° walls on the first level over ground. You dont need SR to kill somebody who is on the other side of a wall.
The Gecko
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Gecko »

QuantumBeep wrote:You can sit just inside a teleporter and murder anything that comes through.
I like that idea!! I never realized you could do that. Well, live and learn...
Or maybe, die and learn. :wink:

I like all the flags if the server balances them carefully.
Save up to 50% on tank insurance!
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

RPG wrote:How could steamroller deal with narrow and tiny? Wouldn't you be dead before you got that close to a N or T?
no, you gotta know how to dodge, and place your shots.
Valoche
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Valoche »

Hi, I'll put my 2 eurocents in :wink:

Do not remove SR, it's my favourite flag. As for spawn killers with SR, well, remove SW as well. What I love in SR is of humiliated you get when killed by SR.

The useless flag is useless, it's not good nor bad, the only interest of this flag is to have it stolen by someone with thief. So it could be removed.

About WG: too powerful/annoying when flaps are allowed (even 1 flap). Har to kill but not impossible when no flaps are allowed, like on Tuxee's Rabbit Chase. I urge the server admins to reduce the power of this flag, right now if I join a server and see WG is too powerful, it does not make me want to stay on the server. Just like 10 shots servers: there is no fun IMHO in spreading bullets everywhere.

Valoche
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

SR is very useful against certain players. It's not always the best flag to have, but it depends on the map and your opponents, and in some cases useful to get particular campers.

Remove Machine Gun though. It's a waste of space IMO.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

the enemy wrote:SR is very useful against certain players. It's not always the best flag to have, but it depends on the map and your opponents, and in some cases useful to get particular campers.

Remove Machine Gun though. It's a waste of space IMO.
once again, MG has its usefulness!

1) trying to clear a camper on a building. 2) trying to defend yourself on a building.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

In 2.0, MG on my computer starts firing a few milliseconds after I pick up the flag, and doesn't stop until I drop the flag. I haven't yet seen a way to make it work in a controlled way like in 1.x, tied to your fire button or key, whatever that is.

That ruins its effectiveness. You can't try to clear a camper on a building because it's on all the time, and as you jump your shots ricochet and get you instead.

Also, on low-count shot servers, anything under 10 shots, it shoots them all out rapidly, then pauses, while recycling, then does it again. On a 5-shot server, it's cycling on and off with time-able gaps. If you're on the building trying to defend it, someone can time the gaps and nail you.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

toaster wrote:Also, on low-count shot servers, anything under 10 shots, it shoots them all out rapidly, then pauses, while recycling, then does it again. On a 5-shot server, it's cycling on and off with time-able gaps. If you're on the building trying to defend it, someone can time the gaps and nail you.
personally, I've never seen that happen, and I've played this game for 7yrs. They cycle rate is does not have a long enough reload duration for that.

also, the continuously-shoot, is most-likely a bug. As I've not seen it with 2.0 on Windows 2000.
So an So
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by So an So »

This is Battle Breaker... I would like jamming removed... i realy get killed a lot when i get it... and I would like blindness removed also, I get killed alot when I have that to... :oops:
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Bad flags are supposed to get you killed :wink:. Ask the server owner to disable them for you (which probably won't happen).
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

There are a lot of flags I don't like to get, but that doesn't mean that I would want them removed...

if I had to pick one, it'd be invisible bullet. not seeing shots on radar isn't going to matter when they can see your tank. it would be much better if it actually made them invisible out the window.

I don't like rapid fire or machine gun.

Phantom Zone has the potential to be a fun flag, but it normally isn't. if it was made common so that a good percentage of players had it at once, some interesting battles could result. it gives me some map ideas, actually... too bad I don't have a clue about how to make them.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

phantom zone is now much better, phantom tanks shoot phantom bullets so there are two worlds connected by teleporters pretty much ;)