Getting Too Into The Game [Home of the BzFlag Chair Device]

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
VBD950
Private First Class
Private First Class

Getting Too Into The Game [Home of the BzFlag Chair Device]

Post by VBD950 »

I haven't played bz for the better part of the school year (lots of HW to do), but I just got some more time recently and was pleasently surprised to find 2.0.0 (of course, I needed to Alien a Suse 64-bit RPM to get it to install on amd64 deb). Its great fun, but there is one thing I noticed. If I play Bz for a long time, I get too into it. For example, when a bullet is coming at me and I know I can't dodge it, I jump backwards, and get a huge adrenilane rush, as if expecting the bullet to actually hit me. Does anyone else find weird stuff like this happening to them?
Last edited by VBD950 on Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Getting Too Into The Game

Post by sid6.7 »

VBD950 wrote:I haven't played bz for the better part of the school year (lots of HW to do), but I just got some more time recently and was pleasently surprised to find 2.0.0 (of course, I needed to Alien a Suse 64-bit RPM to get it to install on amd64 deb). Its great fun, but there is one thing I noticed. If I play Bz for a long time, I get too into it. For example, when a bullet is coming at me and I know I can't dodge it, I jump backwards, and get a huge adrenilane rush, as if expecting the bullet to actually hit me. Does anyone else find weird stuff like this happening to them?
yeah like i said once sometimes i come around a corner
BLAMMO theres an st...i've pitched outa my chair...LOL
VBD950
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by VBD950 »

lol

I generally manage to stay in my chair (its a rolly spinny one), but sometimes when bullets are coming at me, if I start turning my head way to the side like i'm trying to turn the picture.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

What a bunch of weirddos...:)
wegstar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wegstar »

Even worse.. I turn my laptop over trying to swerve away from an incoming shell :)
Formerly "nader"
---
Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
-----
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Scary bunch of weirdos...The only thing I do is yell and laugh at my computer...
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

nader: heh, that one actually made me laugh a bit.

Sure, I do things like that all the time. I think the worst was once when I heard a police siren outside in real life, and thought that someone in the game with GM locked on to me. I realised it was a real siren outside, not from the game, but it was "getting into the game". It's perfectly normal IMHO. :)
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

yes, when its just the morning and im feeling kinda spooked like i do in the morning, no one talking and voices in my head and that dull strange sound of silence when i play bzflag and i'm not in a great mood (not a bad mood or anything) when a bullet comes to me my head goes nuts but i do dodge it usally. :P when im in a good mood thats a different story;

"DIE DIE DIE! yayyyy +100" :lol-old:
Legolas
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Legolas »

I have found myself with the new wings flag, moving my head or neck to the direction I am going. Also seem to shift the keyboard also. :)
QuantumBeep
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by QuantumBeep »

Well, you wouldn't want to see me play BZflag, not one bit. For one, I have a hard time playing quietly; you can hear the WEEEELAAAA from across the dome when I have a GM. Further, I tend to dodge bullets by tipping my head backwards, poking holes in my leather body holster with my horns.

My girlfriend is annoyed by the cloud of steam that I create when I'm really into the game, as well. Makes my scales all shiny and stuff. I have been known to ruin telescreens by wrapping my long neck around them a few times and squeezing when I'm losing a game.
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

hehe quantom :)
So an So
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by So an So »

I lean to dodge bullets... doesn't work though :(
VBD950
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by VBD950 »

I just had an idea that many bz addicts would pay good money for...

A chair with a base that acts as a joystick, so when they jerk, the tank responds. Also, it should have forcefeedback, and throw them on to the floor when they get hit.
The Gecko
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Gecko »

Wow!!!!! Nice idea!!!!
What kind of forcefeedback should it have for jumping? or being steamrolled? or blindness?????
COOOL idea! 8)

At least someone is thinking outside the box.
Save up to 50% on tank insurance!
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

chair

Post by sid6.7 »

how about a chair that gives you a nice jolt of electricty when you die
i'll bet you play better after awhile....pavlov...:)
VBD950
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by VBD950 »

It could feature ActiveDeath technology to enhance the user experience

Actually, if I get a snowday tommorow, I wonder how hard it would be to wire up a chair to some motors which turn a mouse or something, cause that would be pretty cool.

And for jumping, it would just automatically use that pump thing that adjustable chairs have. For steamrolled, it would knock your desk on to you. For blindness how about it pokes your eyes out.

This'll be the killer product of 2005, if you know what I mean :lol-old:
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

ejection seat

Post by Gerbil »

U need a chair that ejects you when you get blown up, shocks you when hit with SW, burns you when hit by laser, stings you when hit by normalshots, tasers you when hit by superbullet.
Politically correct BZ: A kinder, gentler Guided Missile.
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

dang. I'd give up bz then. I"d be a sorry mess after a game :) :!:
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
So an So
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by So an So »

How much would one of those chairs (with ALL the features) cost?

If it is not to much i will buy one for all the good players on the game :wink:
The Gecko
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Gecko »

Lol, with my game playing skills, i'd probably be killed by that chair (In real life).
What does the chair do when you get kicked due to lag? BOOT!!! "YOW!!" :x
When you have cloaking, would the chair make you invisible? If it did, I'd go camp my tank somewhere, and scoot around the house in my chair...INVISIBLE!! :twisted:

I'd have to be careful not to do very important spying for the government, because evetually, the game would kick me for inactivity and I would become visible again.
Gerbil
Private First Class
Private First Class

Yeah but...

Post by Gerbil »

Think of the great bragging rights you would have after surviving games!

"I've played for five years" would really get you respect. You would enter a server and people would literally run for their lives. Heck, they might even put you in a match on "Fear Factor".

Do it for the glory!

The costs? Bah, you will only need the chair for ONE game and then, heck, no worries, mate!

Of course, I will be on the chair development team and wouldn't be able to use it myself--so who's first?
Politically correct BZ: A kinder, gentler Guided Missile.
The Gecko
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by The Gecko »

Gerbil wrote:Of course, I will be on the chair development team and wouldn't be able to use it myself--so who's first?
Nice try Gerbil.
The developement team has to test its product. Why? To, uh...to make sure this chair causes cancer in the state of California (if it does, then it's perfectly normal). Also make sure this chair complies with all the Food and Drug Administration's requirements. You wouldn't want to sit in this chair, sipping lemonade, and find out the hard way that this chair isn't meant to be sat on while you eat/drink.
I'm just joking (what does the FDA have to do with bzflag chairs?). :wink:
VBD950
Private First Class
Private First Class

Rolly Chair

Post by VBD950 »

I have a rolly chair/spinny chair, plus some spair motors and a basic stamp. If I can figure out how how to wire up the basic stamp, I could probably get atleast turning with the chair, although not sure what to do for forwards/backwards. I'd use the height level for jumping.

I think this could be fun to attempt in actuallity, without all the murder stuff. Anyone have an ideas?
Sir Lance-A-Lot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sir Lance-A-Lot »

go for it ;) make sure u make up a website for it when yo dun.
So an So
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Yeah but...

Post by So an So »

Gerbil wrote:Think of the great bragging rights you would have after surviving games!

"I've played for five years" would really get you respect. You would enter a server and people would literally run for their lives. Heck, they might even put you in a match on "Fear Factor".

Do it for the glory!

The costs? Bah, you will only need the chair for ONE game and then, heck, no worries, mate!

Of course, I will be on the chair development team and wouldn't be able to use it myself--so who's first?
A job like chair development is not a job for one person... I am putting myself on the develepment team as of now.

(I will not be able to test the chair either)

I am giving myself the job of "Chief person in charge of developing the official bzflag chair."

WOW!! That sounds GREAT!!

Hey who ever does the rank giving... how about giving me that rank?

Any way... as "Chief person in charge of developing the official bzflag chair"
I am taking all offers for Bzflag chair testers... you will be given the title "Official bzflag chair tester who will be given 1 million dollars if they survive 10 minutes in the chair"... any else want to join?

ONLY GERBIL IS ALLOWED TO READ WHAT COMES AFTER THE BEEP.

(BEEP)

Hi Gerbil... we can't let anyone survive our chair... or we will have to pay a million dollars... make sure nobody survives!! :twisted: