BZFS v2.0 on a Windows Box

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
ping
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFS v2.0 on a Windows Box

Post by ping »

I have a 2003 Server on my LAN running on a server class box. My bzflag game I host currently runs on a slowish box running Linux Fedora.

As we move to V2.0 I was toying with the idea of running the game on the Windows server. Were there any changes in the bzfs.exe of 2.0 that make it run more stable in the windows environment? I initially put the bzflag.kovclan.org game on a server 2003 box and was able to make it run by running it in a window with Windows XP compatibility on. Even then I would get a funky problem where a number of the players would go [nr] and then drop from the game completely.

Just wondering if this issue had been taken care of or do I stick with my Linux box?
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

Ideal solution is to replace 2k3 with linux :) It's better at almost everything...

bzfs does not need a fast box. And yes, it's still a good idea to run it on a non-windows os.
Lan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Lan »

DTR is correct, and I really can't recall any Windows-only fixes to BZFlag for 2.0, so best bet is what DTR said.
sid6.7
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sid6.7 »

goto www.sleepycows.org they run a winxp server
and it works...
Tegan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Tegan »

sid6.7 wrote:goto www.sleepycows.org they run a winxp server
and it works...
I ran a bzfs 1.10 on XP for a little private map testing, but it did work for that, and the setup is described at http://www.sleepycows.org . The sleepycows map servers have been Linux, so far.
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

I'm surprised anyone is having trouble with bzfs in windows... I've had it running nonstop on win98 on a junker machine that is my lan server for 24 hours straight and no lag, no crashes and was even playing people in my home lan from work. (dsl to cable) So far it's been flawless on 98 and XP pro. Albeit a still short flawless record :oops:
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

spldart it's gonna happen. It always does ;)

Pretty soon it'll start mindlessly kicking players. Mine even kicks the bots that I join with, even though they have full rights to live and fight (meaning -disablebots is off)
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

Well... If it does start showing flaky operation I can simply restart the machine and start from scratch.. Correct?
I reboot the machine about once a month for the sake of smooth operation.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Yes, you can reboot it, but usually it goes back to randomly kicking people for no apparent reason. If you start seeing ECONNRESET/PIPE or something like that in your server logs alot then that means the server is getting a mind of it's own.
spldart
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by spldart »

Is the software corrupting?
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Not corrupting, it's just a software bug on Windows that nobody has found out how to fix yet.