2.0.0 Released for Mac OS X

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
learner
General
General

2.0.0 Released for Mac OS X

Post by learner »

Since our sourceforge.net hosts are down, I'm unable to upload the new disk image yet. When sf.net does come back online, the download will be made available from there. Until then, you can download the 2.0.0 Mac OS X disk image from:

http://bzflag.bz/builds/2.0/BZFlag_2.0.0.dmg

Please respond with any Mac-specific questions, comments, or feedback here. Enjoy! :)

Cheers!
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

We want Linux-RPMs! :D
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

thank you so much! awsome backing for the dmg! :)
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

I compiled it by myself and it works now. No need for a RPM for me now. :P
ao
Private
Private

2.0 mac not working

Post by ao »

my monitor goes to some out of scan range when i launch the app no matter what resolution I am in. Please Help !
-D
ao
Private
Private

out of scan

Post by ao »

i started in 1152 x 870 and it worked then switched within the app.
mcp
Private
Private

Re: 2.0.0 Released for Mac OS X

Post by mcp »

Thanks, very, very much, nice work!

One thing I noticed.
If Shift-F1 is pressed and the tab is already set to 'All', it results in an unreadable text output in the lower box. Each new line of text appears at the bottom line on top of itself. Going into the setup and messing with the radar/control-panel size will restore the text scrolling.

Other than that it seems to work fantastic.
Thanks again for the port.
learner
General
General

Already fixed

Post by learner »

This has already been fixed in CVS and will be made available in the next 2.0.2 update.

Cheers!
EbErT
Private First Class
Private First Class

windowed f1 button

Post by EbErT »

I greatly appreciate the indroduction of the windowed option that I had suggested to the developers a while ago. although it is a good start, there are many ways to improve it. Problems with it are: the fonts seem a little small, and driving is a problem because the cursor jumps from the top to the bottom of the window when moved all the way to the top of the screen. I wonder if there is a way to let the cursor move in and out of the windowed area onto the desktop area, inorder to do other funtions on the computer besides bzflag. I would love to see this implemented in future versions of bzflag, because it could save me big time when my keyboard occasionaly freezes up on boot up of bzflag, and i am forced to unplug the computer. Overall, bz2.0 for mac is way better than the old version. More stable, more options, more everything!

Also, i noticed that the text on the console screen tends to pile up if it is messed with.

If anyone has any feedback or suggestions, please reply
learner
General
General

Re: windowed f1 button

Post by learner »

EbErT wrote:I greatly appreciate the indroduction of the windowed option that I had suggested to the developers a while ago. although it is a good start, there are many ways to improve it.
Heh, not to belittle your suggestion/request but it was in a bucket with many other folks who have requested the feature since day 1 of a Mac port. Having a windowed mode on Mac has been a long-desired feature as well as the ability to switch out to other applications. Regardless, the feedback is always welcome even if it's "well known" -- gives a sense of how important the feature is.
EbErT wrote:Problems with it are: the fonts seem a little small, and driving is a problem because the cursor jumps from the top to the bottom of the window when moved all the way to the top of the screen. I wonder if there is a way to let the cursor move in and out of the windowed area onto the desktop area, inorder to do other funtions on the computer besides bzflag.
The management of fonts is presently "difficult", but very flexible. You can actually change your font size to fairly large sizes as well as to new fonts. You have to presently edit your configuration file directly to do so, though. That is, edit

Code: Select all

~/Library/Application\ Support/BZFlag/2.0/config.cfg
and uncomment and change the consoleFont line (ProFont is another option, for example); the serifFont may also be changed. The cpanelfontsize and scorefontsize are what will change your font sizes. This will, of course, get moved into menus down the road, but it's not there yet.

As for the cursor management, there already are options for managing it on the menu. Look under the "Input" menu. Unlock it, and you'll be able to freely move in and out.
EbErT wrote:I would love to see this implemented in future versions of bzflag, because it could save me big time when my keyboard occasionaly freezes up on boot up of bzflag, and i am forced to unplug the computer. Overall, bz2.0 for mac is way better than the old version. More stable, more options, more everything!
Any actual hard freezes should be alleviateable by pressing command-option-escape and then waiting about 10 seconds. That should cause Finder to abort the application and return you to your desktop. If it's otherwise frozen and you can consistently get it to hang up on you, please report that to the Bug tracker.
EbErT wrote:Also, i noticed that the text on the console screen tends to pile up if it is messed with.
This is a cross-platform bug that was very quickly fixed after release. The next minor update will provide a fix.

Thanks for the compliments, it's been a long time under development and it's nice to see it in everyone's hands at last. Still a lot of room to grow, bugs to fix, and there's still a need for various changes. Slowly getting there though.

Cheers!
Sean
DTRemenak
General
General

Re: windowed f1 button

Post by DTRemenak »

learner wrote:The cpanelfontsize and scorefontsize are what will change your font sizes. This will, of course, get moved into menus down the road, but it's not there yet.
cpanelfontsize and scorefontsize are already in the GUI options menu, as "ControlPanel Font Size" and "Scoreboard Font Size" (the third and second options in that menu, respectively). The font face itself is somewhat more work to put in a menu, but that will probably get done sometime.
EbErT
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by EbErT »

whoa, i had no idea you could move the cursor in and out of the window by going into options, so thanks for that info, sean.

also, I believe sean and i had corresponded a while back about the freezing that was going on with my mac and the game. As the versions were updated, the freezing appeared less and less, but if and when it did occasionaly occur, keyboard response to ANY commands (even the one you suggested) would not do anything. The keyboard would totally freeze up. Since sean and i could not figure what was going on, the only solution i saw was to play it safe with a windowed version, and since the mouse still works, to move out of the window and click forcequit with the cursor. That seems to be in the past now, because with the newest version i have had 0 freezes so far (and that's a relief!)
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

EbErT wrote:whoa, i had no idea you could move the cursor in and out of the window by going into options, so thanks for that info, sean.

also, I believe sean and i had corresponded a while back about the freezing that was going on with my mac and the game. As the versions were updated, the freezing appeared less and less, but if and when it did occasionaly occur, keyboard response to ANY commands (even the one you suggested) would not do anything. The keyboard would totally freeze up. Since sean and i could not figure what was going on, the only solution i saw was to play it safe with a windowed version, and since the mouse still works, to move out of the window and click forcequit with the cursor. That seems to be in the past now, because with the newest version i have had 0 freezes so far (and that's a relief!)
same here, 2.0 has no freezes? err... ok then...

with 2.0 in windowed mode it wont let me use any keys in the window, i type into ITerm (command line) ./bzflag -window and wheala

Code: Select all

data path is "/Applications/BZFlag-2.0.0.app/Contents/Resources"
data path is "/Applications/BZFlag-2.0.0.app/Contents/Resources"
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed          Time             Curr.
                                 Dload  Upload Total    Current  Left    Speed
100   637    0   637    0     0   1784      0 --:--:--  0:00:00 --:--:--     0

and then it doesnt do anything else and when i type or use the KB it jsut shows the letters in the command line and there is no bzflag windowed aplication running or anything.
zongo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by zongo »

i cant play in windowed mode...i mean my tank keep on going backwards and i can only move it to the left and to the right (Mouse not confined)

Thx
visit http://1vs1.bzleague.com
and dub's site http://dub.bzleague.com
join #dub channel on irc!
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

yes zongo same here, but there is a way to do it! just open up bz regular then hit F1 (or whatever your fullscreen key is) and there you are.
zongo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by zongo »

I have the problem exactly when i hit the F1 key...
visit http://1vs1.bzleague.com
and dub's site http://dub.bzleague.com
join #dub channel on irc!
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

have u moved the mouse into the center?
zongo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by zongo »