i have an idea for the next version

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.

i have an idea for the next version

Post by Guest »

I have an idea that i would like to kick around. You know what webcams are right? Is it possible that for the next version there can be little screen in a corner that can broadcast what the webcam is seeing. And the little screen can disappear when the webcamis turned off. Is that a good i dea, because i would like to try it sometime :D
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Would'nt this be on the Enhancements forum? Yes that would be neat to have like a Game Face window. But, it will just waste bandwidth. Atleast I think I know what im talking about. As another topic that came up about talking over a mice or somthing when your playing. If you really want a Game Face then find someone to make a SEPARATE program that will allow you to.
wegstar
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by wegstar »

uh.. sounds a bit fancy and unnecessary. I don't think that is a good idea. waste of bandwith too. Arghh.. beat me to it :)
Last edited by wegstar on Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly "nader"
---
Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22 million bugs!
-----
"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer." -- Bruce Graham
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

What would be the purpose of you being able to watch yourself?
Sir Lance-A-Lot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Sir Lance-A-Lot »

lol...unless you select out of a list who u want 2 watch...
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Peepers. Plus I garruntee some little sicko somwhere will do somthing nasty on that Game Face. OOOOO LOOK AT MEEE :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :shock: EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post by Guest »

wtf is wrong with u biya and u guys i didn't mean it like that. I meant say there was a football game on or something. :(
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Ohh... you mean like THAT. Well, you could run BZ windowed, and have the webcam screen right next to the BZFlag window.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

So what your telling is that you want to watch T.V. on your computer and play bzflag? Ummm no. The devs sure wont do it and I dont see the point when you can do what RPG said.
LibrarianBrent
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by LibrarianBrent »

That would cause so much lag that it wouldn't even be funny.
And then, as we aimed at each other, in the moment of truth, I knew...

that someone had stolen my wallet.
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Call of honor, what you're describing, for your personal view, is referred to in the video world as "picture in picture" and it's been around for many years.

You can do this by routing your video into a vcr, dvd, switch, or even a tv that supports PIP. That's assuming you want to route it to your big screen tv or projector or whatever you use. Whichever route you take, you would have to insure that the devices support the video format from your computer.

If you want to use your computer monitor, there are video cards which accept video input, and there is software to do what you want. However, most of those systems are designed to work within specific operating systems. In WinXP, if you want to use the whole-screen client, and if you try to bring another window to the front, to overlay part of the bzflag window, Windows automatically assumes you don't want to be in the client at the moment and relegates it to a minimized process on the task bar. So you could still do it on your computer monitor, but you'd have to route the video from your graphics card through another device that could handle the PIP format or the window overlay somehow.

Easiest solution: buy a small screen tv used for $10 at a garage sale and place it next to your computer monitor.

If you're wanting to "broadcast" the video you're seeing to other players, you will have bandwidth problems for your gaming. And so will everyone else that's watching. There is already software to do this that is not part of bzflag, which the other players would have to run to "see" your broadcast, with all the same issues above.
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."