SPAWN permission required in CVS and will be in 2.0.2

Place for people to discuss public servers, and also for admins to lay out the details of their servers
Tim Riker
Maintainer
Maintainer

SPAWN permission required in CVS and will be in 2.0.2

Post by Tim Riker »

There is a new permission called SPAWN.

It will be set on the EVERYONE group by default.

You can override the EVERYONE group and set SPAWN on something like VERIFIED instead.

For league servers you would likely remove SPAWN from EVERYONE and set it on the appropriate league groups.

Also the -requireindentify option has been removed. The new SPAWN permission replaces this feature.

This is the case in CVS at present. It is expected to be true for the upcoming (likely 2.0.2) stable update as well.

IMPORTANT: You should add the SPAWN permission to the correct groups in your groupdb now. This will be ignored by 2.0.0 servers. (ie: not break them)
Tim Riker - http://rikers.org/ - Tim@Rikers.org
BZFlag maintainer - http://BZFlag.org/ - for fun!
sbgodin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Simply love

Post by sbgodin »

Thanks for all your work, Tim !

Now, just add the KILL permission :roll:
Christophe HENRY - France
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Hmm... But, what if we want someone that doesn't globally identify but has an account to be kicked? Like secretplace does? Death to the - sign players?

I always used requireidentify for that. Now what should I use?
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Simply love

Post by Scorch »

sbgodin wrote:Thanks for all your work, Tim !

Now, just add the KILL permission :roll:
haha if they ever do that that'll be funny :)
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

actualy I could see a viable reason for a shoot, a die, and a flag permision
you could remove those permisions from a ref group, and make a tank that is non lethal but observable tank, that could be the ref for a game.
ImageJeffM
brad2901
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by brad2901 »

Great idea JeffM, that would be a great addition to BZFlag. I've always wanted to observe a game like that.
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Yes! Good addition! I vote to add!
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

I vote for doing it and assigning SpoogeBob two global attributes: harmless (non-lethal) and silence.

Hmm...
-toaster
"So there I was, all alone, facing all of the enemy. I started driving in circles, until I had them surrounded, and then I escaped in the confusion."
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

he's on the master ban list allready, so anything that could be done would be taken care of by that.

the permisions would not be intended as a diciplinary measure, but as a feature to help with team/league games.
ImageJeffM
Memnarch
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: SPAWN permission required in CVS and will be in 2.0.2

Post by Memnarch »

Tim Riker wrote:There is a new permission called SPAWN.

It will be set on the EVERYONE group by default.

You can override the EVERYONE group and set SPAWN on something like VERIFIED instead.

For league servers you would likely remove SPAWN from EVERYONE and set it on the appropriate league groups.

Also the -requireindentify option has been removed. The new SPAWN permission replaces this feature.

This is the case in CVS at present. It is expected to be true for the upcoming (likely 2.0.2) stable update as well.

IMPORTANT: You should add the SPAWN permission to the correct groups in your groupdb now. This will be ignored by 2.0.0 servers. (ie: not break them)
Ok, so basically, this is a feature that asks the server if a non-registered player can play? Ok, here's the deal: I don't see how a server can make decisions by itself, wouldn't there have to be an admin to allow such person to enetr the game? The only immediate thing to do would be to register here, or to register at the server, but what if said player does not really want to? How would this feature work exactly?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

some servers require registration. right now that's done with -requireidentify in the command line.

This moves that behavor into a permision, so it can be consitent with the other permisions.

If you want to require identification, you move the spawn perm to the registerd group. Then however your server does registration ( local or global ) will then have to happen before somone can spawn. This just makes it a bit more flexable, since you could move the spawn perm to a group other then registerd for someting like a leauge game, so that only team members can spawn.

If your server does global reg, then yes, it will have to contact the list server and bzbb to work. If your server does local registration then the player has to do a /identify, like 1.10.x did.

If the SPAWN perm is in the EVERYONE group, then nothing has to happen, and you play as a normal open server.

By default the SPAWN permision is added to the EVERYONE group. What Tim is saying is that if for any reason you have overiden your EVERYONE group by puting an entry for it in your groups file, you will need to add the SPAWN permision to it, if you want your server to behave the way it used to work in 2.0.0 when you upgrade to 2.0.2. 2.0.0 will ignore the permision right now, so he's saying go ahead and put that in NOW so you'll be ready when the time coes. :).
ImageJeffM
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Hmmm... I have this:

RPGCOPS: ...REQUIREIDENTIFY

REQUIREIDENTIFY as a permission. Will this still work? Or should I replace it with SPAWN? Is it actually doing anything?
sbgodin
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by sbgodin »

REQUIREIDENTIFY is to force players to identify : have a global or local account. Once they have one, this permission has no effect except if they don't want to "/identify".

SPAWN allows players to play. To have the rights, they must identify to be recognized in the group which can spawn.
Christophe HENRY - France
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Yes, I know. I just wanted to know if the REQUIREIDENTIFY permission is being used currently and if it will still be used in the future. Tim Riker only said that the -requireidentify switch was going kapoof.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the current requireidentify perm is flakey at best. You will want to replace it with the SPAWN permisioin ( put spawn on the registered group ).
ImageJeffM