OBLISK ???

News and info about current and upcoming releases of the game client and server.
I_Died_Once
Special Forces
Special Forces

OBLISK ???

Post by I_Died_Once »

OK, 2 quick, silly questions...

I've been using the OBLISK version of both bzflag and bzfs since the get go. Saw an alternative to the source, and I dig it that it works. My questions are

When can we expect to see OBLISK versions of 2.0.2?

What is the differances between using OBLISK and compiling from source?

Where can I read more about the general concept of OBLISK?

(posted here, because its a version of the release...)3

Much love
...This has been a recording.
bryjen
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by bryjen »

The word "OBLISK" on the Download Page is a link that takes you to where it comes from. http://oblisk.codu.org/
Those BZFlag installer packages are contributed by someone. There's a reference to an email address AKAQuinn AT hotmail.com. Donno who that is.
GregorR
Private
Private

Post by GregorR »

Hi, I'm the OBLISK maintainer.

:oops: I haven't actually been keeping up with BZFlag versions - is there a mailing list or something that JUST sends new version info? I don't want to be flooded, but it would be good if I always knew when the new version was out. Beyond that it only takes about 5 min to make a package for it.

I've made an OBLISK package of the latest version. I will always gladly make a package if prompted in some way, but I have way too much going on to be constantly checking for new versions ;)

To answer the other questions:

From a users standpoint, the only difference between using an OBLISK package and source is that whatever compilation options the packager (me) used at compile time are stuck. For a package such as BZFlag, this isn't really an issue. Some packages have tons of variable compiler options and so this can be a problem.

OBLISK is designed to be easy to install, and, to install on any distribution (on the proper architecture). It achieves this by modifying the binaries to correspond with their new location. That way, the original package can be non-relocation-savvy, but the OBLISK package will still work. There's more information at the OBLISK web site, http://oblisk.codu.org/ . Oh, it is Open Source software, of course. That's what the O stands for ;)
DTRemenak
General
General

Post by DTRemenak »

GregorR wrote: I haven't actually been keeping up with BZFlag versions - is there a mailing list or something that JUST sends new version info? I don't want to be flooded, but it would be good if I always knew when the new version was out. Beyond that it only takes about 5 min to make a package for it.
When you're logged into sourceforge, go to https://sourceforge.net/projects/bzflag and look under "Latest File Releases" on that page. There's a column labeled "Notes / Monitor"...if you click on the envelope under Monitor for the package you want to watch ("bzflag source", for instance, is third from the bottom), it will send you an email every time that package is changed, and not at any other time.
GregorR
Private
Private

Post by GregorR »

Thanks!

For those who are interested: The OBLISK version ought to stay better up to date now.