Annoying Mac Crash

Help with Setup, Hardware, Performance or other Issues...Or just pimp your rig.
mac user
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mac user »

Engelchen wrote:...but perhaps devs could be looking into this sort of issue (it appears quite common) instead of adding new features such as the new exploding tank view, etc...
HERE HERE!
Customize your client at http://bzflag.yamsp.com
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

well gee. if the dev who did the explosion thing even had a mac that crashed, that'd be something. but he dosn't.

It dosnt' dupe on all macs. How bout somone who has a crashing mac, run it in GDB to see where it crashes??? Then there would be some real info. The dumps provided are too late, we'd need to know where in the BZ code it crashed.

naw that'd be work.
ImageJeffM
SilentSwan
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilentSwan »

I've been running it in gdb the last couple times.

Anyway, that much aside, I have this much to say: After having spent nearly 7 years in the computer trade (systems admin) - all of that time spent fixing broken software, broken systems, and broken users - I'm just tired of it. Just tired of things blowing up all the time.

THAT is why I'm so b*tchy... so.. I'll just keep my mouth shut now.

Sorry, world, for existing... wasn't my choice you know.... blah.
mac user
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by mac user »

JeffM2501 wrote:How bout somone who has a crashing mac, run it in GDB to see where it crashes??? Then there would be some real info.
Love to, how? Sorry, a bit of a newbe, but willing to get through the learning curve to get this problem fixed.

Engelchen - No worries, it is understandable. I talked to Tim Riker and others a few times about it and they doesn't know what to do either. All of their suggestions didn't work.
Customize your client at http://bzflag.yamsp.com
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

I just wanted to point out that more then one person works on the game. so people do what they can. Noone has to keep there mouth shut :)

Sadly there are few mac devs. My mac does not seem to exibit the crash. so I can't debug it ( a new mini with a clean 10.3 install ).

If you want to debug it then the first thing that would help is to be able to build from source. Before you can debug anything you have to get source and make sure you can build, so that when it crashes it can show where in the code it is when it does.

Get Anon CVS and see what you can do get it built and running.

You will need the development SDL librarys and posibly others.

Every copy of OSX comes with the dev tools on ether the install DVD or a set of Development CDs.

Basicly if somone can get it to crash in a debuger and can show us where in the code it's dying, we can get further on a fix.

One thing I'd like to know is, are these clean 10.3 installs? or 10.3 to 10.2 upgrades. If they are upgrades then I may be able to try and dupe it on my old G3.
ImageJeffM
Scorch
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Scorch »

umm... can anyone get it to build with Xcode let alone run?!
the enemy
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by the enemy »

If it doesn't respond to kill -9, then it's your kernel/system that has a problem and is nothing to do with bzflag as such. Video drivers are of course the most likely suspect.

If MacOS ps is like Linux ps, then something like:
ps axwl | grep bzf
should have one column that gives the kernel system call that bzflag had made. A nother column should be a single letter such as R, S, D or some other. If it was in R (running) or S (sleeping) state it should have been able to have been killed.
waldo
Private
Private

Post by waldo »

data path is "/Applications/BZFlag-2.0.0.app/Contents/Resources"
data path is "/Applications/BZFlag-2.0.0.app/Contents/Resources"
Could not set Video Mode: Failed creating OpenGL pixel format.
ERROR: Unable to initialize an OpenGL context
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
*** malloc[407]: Deallocation of a pointer not malloced: 0x447540; This could be a double free(), or free() called with the middle of an allocated block; Try setting environment variable MallocHelp to see tools to help debug

I don't know if this helps
Flash
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Flash »

I would like to build a Mac version from the CVS, but I have no experience using CVS. I am an expert developer on Solaris. Could someone give me a straightforward step-by-step on how to do a CVS build?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

the readme tells how to build. There are readme files for each OS. CVS is just a way to get the files, it builds just like any source release. There is a page on SF that tells how to get the CVS source, just look at the www.bzflag.org mainpage.
ImageJeffM
LostngonE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by LostngonE »

Any solutions?

I have a friend with Mac OS X 10.4.6 and a radeon 7000 with 64 megs of ram.

He has tried 2.0.6 and 2.0.8 and he is getting the same error walkingmac was getting

Could not set Video Mode: Error setting OpenGL fullscreen: invalid memory allocation.

I had him wipeout the BZFlag folder in his Library, I had him try and set his screen resolution down to 800x600 and even run BZLfag from the command line with the geometry set to 800x600.

Did anyone find a fix for this?
Spazzy McGee
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Spazzy McGee »

well for a start, 64 megs of ram is very little for running tiger on. afaik the recomendation is 256.

this is a very old topic btw
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon
LostngonE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by LostngonE »

Spazzy Mcgee wrote:well for a start, 64 megs of ram is very little for running tiger on. afaik the recomendation is 256.

this is a very old topic btw

The Video card has 64 megs of vram. The computer has a gig of ram.

I know its a very old topic. I was hoping someone would have found a fix by now.
macsforme
General
General

Post by macsforme »

Could not set Video Mode: Error setting OpenGL fullscreen: invalid memory allocation.
Looks like it's trying to open full-screen, and can't for some reason. For OpenGL context problems, the -window option worked wonders for me. This was rather common on PowerBook G3s and Clamshell iBooks where BZFlag would give a black screen when double-clicked, then crash. A new card like that wouldn't have troubles like that though, I wouldn't think. Anyway, give -window a try.
LostngonE
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by LostngonE »

Yes the -window command fixed the problem.

What is the command in the config file to start as window? I tried "set window" and that wasn't it.

What is strange is after the program has started he can press F1 and it will go fullscreen and then inside of BZFlag can set any resolution he wants and it will run fine.

Its almost like when BZFlag is launched its initializing to some temporary resolution that the card doesn't understand before it reads the settings in the config file.