no
81%

Total votes: 36

althepal
Private First Class
Private First Class

good player

Post by althepal »

we should have a server that only good players are aloud at (not including myself) and if you think that is a good thing reply to this if not post a message you to good player. im not tryin to disinclued people is just that
when newbies come they like start t/king and they start all this stuff if you know what i mean. so if you think this is good or not post what you think.. :? [/code][/quote]
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

How will newbies ever learn if they don't get to play against 'good' players?
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

moved to general, since I don't see how this is about a screenshot
ImageJeffM
althepal
Private First Class
Private First Class

right!

Post by althepal »

i know im never up for telling people they suck and dont no how to play im never for that but somtimes when people llike just start playing like just downloaded it and are tryin it for the first time then its like saying yo
this aint right and all that stuff.
Yes i do agree with you on the gettin beeter part of it but you know its
that thing that people do like when they first get here they here about admins and wanna be one that instent and think they can be but that just cant be but
:D
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

I understand what you're saying, but if they are all stuck on one server with eachother and don't get the experience they need from the better players, they'll never get better and they'll never learn about these things. The more experienced players can tell the noobs that they can't be admin and they're not the best players. If all the experienced players have secluded themselves on one server, the noobs won't ever learn.
I am a leaf on the wind.

Post by Guest »

Who decieds who is "good"?
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

instead of saying "good" players, try saying experienced players. Some players have been here a very long time and still haven't quite gotten the hang of it, but they are experienced and know about bz-politics.
I am a leaf on the wind.

Post by Guest »

Yeah. Carnage is a lot like that... Hes been around ages but still sucks. :P j/k. :D
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

Soraya wrote:I understand what you're saying, but if they are all stuck on one server with eachother and don't get the experience they need from the better players, they'll never get better and they'll never learn about these things. The more experienced players can tell the noobs that they can't be admin and they're not the best players. If all the experienced players have secluded themselves on one server, the noobs won't ever learn.
The only problem is, the majority of noobs do not have a learning attitude. They play for a few months, and then think they are the best at this game. That tees of alot of your veterans, experience, and talented players, who then want these secluded servers for the "good ol days"

I've seen this community develop a harsher attitude to the noobs. But thee noobs are part of the problem. They assume this is like any other public game out there, that they can join a server, trash talk anyone, call the vets cheaters, and then complain when they are banned. This upsets alot of your regulars, and vets, hence we see more of the best players going under alias, and quietly or not-so-quietly withdrawing from this game. That is the danger that BZ is under right now.
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!
althepal
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: good player

Post by althepal »

althepal wrote:we should have a server that only good players are aloud at (not including myself) and if you think that is a good thing reply to this if not post a message you to good player. im not tryin to disinclued people is just that
when newbies come they like start t/king and they start all this stuff if you know what i mean. so if you think this is good or not post what you think.. :? [/code]
[/quote]
althepal
Private First Class
Private First Class

right

Post by althepal »

The Red Baron wrote:
Soraya wrote:I understand what you're saying, but if they are all stuck on one server with eachother and don't get the experience they need from the better players, they'll never get better and they'll never learn about these things. The more experienced players can tell the noobs that they can't be admin and they're not the best players. If all the experienced players have secluded themselves on one server, the noobs won't ever learn.
The only problem is, the majority of noobs do not have a learning attitude. They play for a few months, and then think they are the best at this game. That tees of alot of your veterans, experience, and talented players, who then want these secluded servers for the "good ol days"

I've seen this community develop a harsher attitude to the noobs. But thee noobs are part of the problem. They assume this is like any other public game out there, that they can join a server, trash talk anyone, call the vets cheaters, and then complain when they are banned. This upsets alot of your regulars, and vets, hence we see more of the best players going under alias, and quietly or not-so-quietly withdrawing from this game. That is the danger that BZ is under right now.
the red baron is so todaly right thats what ive ben tryin to say and u nailed it dude.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

quite pointless. period.
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
M1A2AbramsTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: good player

Post by M1A2AbramsTank »

althepal wrote:
althepal wrote:we should have a server that only good players are aloud at (not including myself) and if you think that is a good thing reply to this if not post a message you to good player. im not tryin to disinclued people is just that
when newbies come they like start t/king and they start all this stuff if you know what i mean. so if you think this is good or not post what you think.. :? [/code]
Learn to quote!
I'm baaaaaaaaack!
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

From althepal's message, it's obvious he clicked on the "Code" and "Quote" buttons at the top of the "Message body" area of a reply, then manually deleted the {code} and {quote} tags.

For this forum, once any of those buttons is clicked, including "List" and others, the script will add its closing tag once you click on "Preview" or "Submit".

Kinda funny to see newbie posters leave those closing tags... it's a sign they used the buttons above replies. ;) I did that quite a while ago with "List", since I wasn't sure what the BBCode format was for making a list. Of course I hit preview first and noticed the added closing tags.
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

The Red Baron wrote:

I agree with what you're saying. It would be nice to have a few servers to get away from the noobs. You're right. They don't have a learning attitude and they just don't get that this is not like any other public game. This game has sort of a hierarchy of players. Some are admins, some are police, some are just players, some get involved through all kinds of things here. The problem we are having, i think, is that we don't like the way of things being interupted. The noobs coming in dont understand the hierarchy. They just come in expecting to jump to the top. But its not that easy. The more experienced players need to stick with it and teach them, either forceably or not, how things work around here. Most either dont have the patience for it or just dont want to deal with it. If we keep drilling it into their heads, i think that sooner or later, they're gonna get it.
I am a leaf on the wind.
Supertanker
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Supertanker »

I agree with what you're saying. It would be nice to have a few servers to get away from the noobs. You're right. They don't have a learning attitude and they just don't get that this is not like any other public game. This game has sort of a hierarchy of players. Some are admins, some are police, some are just players, some get involved through all kinds of things here. The problem we are having, i think, is that we don't like the way of things being interupted. The noobs coming in dont understand the hierarchy. They just come in expecting to jump to the top. But its not that easy. The more experienced players need to stick with it and teach them, either forceably or not, how things work around here. Most either dont have the patience for it or just dont want to deal with it. If we keep drilling it into their heads, i think that sooner or later, they're gonna get it.
this idea is STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPID!
The Red Baron
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by The Red Baron »

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
this idea is STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPID!
and you, are the kind of people that make the vets want a private servers...
Beware! I'm going to clone myself and spread those clones all over the world!

Post by Guest »

The Red Baron wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:this idea is STUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPID!
and you, are the kind of people that make the vets want a private servers...
Not just the vets.
This is the sort of guy who makes anyone less of a noob than them want such na private server.
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Burned Account -CNG- »

for this topic im more leaning towards of not a good idea, but im in between.

it would be nice to play a-bounch of veterans rather than getting tked, or having other players complaing that u cheat, by players who dont understand the game or do and just want to push everyone to the limit.

on servers, like hepcat overload ive noticed that players are to impatient to kill the other team thus tking. maybe some stradegy guide, i know it says in option but no one really reads it.
Do not enable this account with out admin aproval
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

Why doesn't somebody act on this idea?

1. Create a usergroup with people who have played BZ awhile
2. Set up a server, giving only that usergroup SPAWN permissions.
Soraya
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soraya »

Carnage wrote:it would be nice to play a-bounch of veterans rather than getting tked, or having other players complaing that u cheat, by players who dont understand the game or do and just want to push everyone to the limit.
I found out a while ago that many ppl think i cheat at hepcat, cuz i'm usually at the top. It was kinda depressing actually. freaky deaky dutch told me that he thought i was cheating at first, then realized i wasn't, and now has to tell ppl all the time that i'm not cheating. :(

I get tked a whole bunch too, cuz they don't know what they're doing. And other times, they jump in front of my bullets or they drive through me causing me to tk .
I am a leaf on the wind.
althepal
Private First Class
Private First Class

eerr!!

Post by althepal »

weather you guys know it or not this is Knights of the round table(a.k.a Knights)
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

I think the point some are trying to make, yet others are failing to understand is simple:

Too many noobs on servers = loss of a sense of community.

I think what you guys want to do is create designed a server(s) for veterans of the community. Not really for the sake of having only the best players there, but in order to have players who understand the game well and don't create animosity amongst teammates, etc.

We should face it, the longer you've played BZFlag,
  • The more you enjoy it
  • The more important a sense of community becomes
  • The less likely you are to create a "scene" (ie: carrying your team's flag to the other team's base)
  • And inevitably, the better you get at the game.
The better we get, the most energy we can put into chatting and enjoying the company of other players because we won't be so focused on improving ourselves or learning things.

I'm sure there is a place in the community (such as a site, a section of this forum, and/or a server) for vets to hang out. Of course, the same applies to new players. There should be a community section for them that is focused on learning the game, strategy, and exploring the community (etc.).
Burned Account -CNG-
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Burned Account -CNG- »

Soraya : now u know how it feels to be a vet .5 ;-)

deverish some of the vets i know (like 3), we gather on some private servers, and battle it out. but isnt much fun being 3 of us, so having nubs on the server is ok sometimes..

The less likely you are to create a "scene" (ie: carrying your team's flag to the other team's base)
i still think u might if u been tked by this player for awhile
Do not enable this account with out admin aproval
L4m3r
Hater of Everything
Hater of Everything

Post by L4m3r »

What constitutes a n00b, though? I'm fairly new to this game, but I don't TK when I can help it and I try to be polite. people at secretplace actually greet me now. :P I'm no vet, bit I can enjoy playing with vets... in fact, I'd just love to get away from all the "one-flag winners" that I keep running into...

If people play like jerks, they can be kicked. However, there are a lot more newbies than n00bs. Many of them are good sports, and they do learn.

Don't let a few idiots spoil an awesome game for you.
Optimism is just a milder alternative to denial.