BZFlag + Kernel Problem

NOTE: this is an informal bug post place ONLY. Real bugs should be posted on GitHub
Ice Wewe
Private First Class
Private First Class

BZFlag + Kernel Problem

Post by Ice Wewe »

Hey all,

Well recently I compiled a new kernel for Fedora Core 3 because my sound wasn't working. Well only after I got my sound working did I try to start BZFlag. Well the first time I went to start it, it quit and gave me a glibc error (sorry, I don't know it, I'm in a different kernel now, one that works), the second time and from there on, it was an SDL error. Could someone please tell me what might be going wrong? When BZFlag starts it only gives me a black screen, and I hav to ssh in and kill -9 bzflag pid.

Also the list server and global login arn't working for me.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

when you update kernels, you should update your glib, and rebuild your apps and the librarys they use. More then likely you have to update SDL, your video drivers, and rebuild bzflag(posibly).
ImageJeffM
Teppic
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Teppic »

Unless you are using mesa drivers you will have to rebuild the kernel modules for gl to work properly, but unless you took something out of the kernel or built something SDL can't cope with the rest should be fine. Anaconda isn't the most comprehesive installer, it's probably worth checking all the sdl libs with gyum. BZflags strange audio output works best if you direct it straight to the soundcard with alsa (as opposed to dmix). There is a topic about building under FC3 and hostname lookup problems here and the patch works great.
If you are running 64 bit say so and you can have my rpm.