The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

My first Version 2 map ("Ionian Paths")

Post by The Purple Panzer »

I'm attaching my first version two map, which I haven't yet named - let's
say, "Ionian Paths".

Main features: a Greek temple, highways that get you around quickly,
Gaussian hills. It's generally intended to be simple, with an emphasis on interesting paths from place to place, rather than interesting places per se.

The Gaussian Hills worked out pretty well; I'll post the code I use for them (which would be trivial to adapt to any scripting language). You can't
go up them too easily, but coming down works just fine. I use ground color, so they blend in nicely too; I found it to be *too* nicely, as when driving I'd just stop at a (barely visible) hill edge. To help, I put small blocks at the corners of the hills, which you can use as navigation marks.

A variant of hills are mesas, hills with flat tops for structures, as what the temple sits on.

The highways work pretty well, and I'll post the code for those too. I couldn't get the surface to move the same way the highways do, so I stopped wasting time on it.

The one odd block is a sort of trampoline.
Attachments
bzfi0000.png
Screen shot
(185.62 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
V2Map1.bzw
Map file
(189.33 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
Last edited by The Purple Panzer on Tue May 10, 2005 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

screenshot, screenshot, screenshot.

*blah*

http://my.bzflag.org/bb/viewtopic.php?p ... ght=#35434

Thanks for posting, Panzer, but a screenshot would really help save the rest of us time in taking a quick look at your map.

edit: ACK! This is not a basic map (it has advanced objects in it), so it won't load in BZEdit. So the only way we can look at it is to run it on a server and join. Even more of a reason to add 1 or more screenshots. Thanks.

edit: Nice Parthenon! :) The moving rock textures for the platforms have to go though. :rock:
protected object myTank(){
foreach(noob in this.game){return frag(noob);}}
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Two more screenshots

I added one to the original message, and here are two more. They don't
really do it justice, because it's hard to see the contours as well as you do when in the map.
Attachments
bzfi0002.png
(200.31 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
bzfi0001.png
(201.86 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Way to go Purple! Making great maps as usual.

Post by Guest »

Maybe its just me... But I cant see any of those screenshots or the one you posted for your temple post.
I just see a Big Blue Quicktime Q logo. :(
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

png files

These are .png files, which should be viewable on most platforms. You might have better luck downloading them to files on your machine, then trying to open them locally. (I'm sort of surprised your browser couldn't do it for you).

I just updated my maps page, and I used bitmaps there; the page is at
http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bentz/bzflag/MyMaps.html
and it's in section 2.3
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

I just see a Big Blue Quicktime Q logo. Sad
I've never liked QuickTime hijacking my usual browsing experience.

Awesome map!

Post by Guest »

I have never had the problem with screenshots uploaded to this forum before...
Maybe it's because I have a new version of Quicktime?
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

CannonBallGuy wrote:I have never had the problem with screenshots uploaded to this forum before...
That's probalby the problem, reinstall it and it takes over all your file associations again.
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

RPG wrote:
CannonBallGuy wrote:I have never had the problem with screenshots uploaded to this forum before...
That's probalby the problem, reinstall it and it takes over all your file associations again.
I think you forgot CannonBallGuy is on a Mac. It is married to QuickTime in all its unholyness. :)
Dervish
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Dervish »

Panzer,

Nice web page. :) I forgot you made some of those older maps that I've played on a few times a year or two ago. Plenty of good ideas and opinions about map making.

As for your screen shots, you might want to enter your bz world as an observer, move yourself up a bit and get a screen shot from a larger perspective. You're right, those don't do your map justice. :)

Post by Guest »

RPG wrote:That's probalby the problem, reinstall it and it takes over all your file associations again.
Mac OS X has a thing called Software Update which tells you when there is a new version of something you can download...
I don't use QT often, but I didn't seem any harm in clicking OK when software update told me there was a new version of it...
I don't see why it could have caused the problem because I never had to change any prefs or anything but it was a day or 2 ago and I do get a big QT symbol when trying to load the screens...

Anyway, I went to your web page Panzer, great maps! nice one!
toaster
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by toaster »

Dervish wrote:Panzer,

Nice web page. :) I forgot you made some of those older maps that I've played on a few times a year or two ago. Plenty of good ideas and opinions about map making.

As for your screen shots, you might want to enter your bz world as an observer, move yourself up a bit and get a screen shot from a larger perspective. You're right, those don't do your map justice. :)
Yes, Panzer, very impressive.

Dervish, I can't seem to get observer mode working. I made a post about this a while back, ever since 2.0, the key bindings just get blown away. I've added them back in for minor upgrades, and when I load the client, they don't work at all. When I exit, they're gone again from the config file. I'm running the Win build of 2.0.2 (linux on all my other machines except this one :(