0.bladica.com permanently down.

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
Deadalot
Private First Class
Private First Class

0.bladica.com permanently down.

Post by Deadalot »

Unfortunately, excessive bandwidth charges ($173.73 in just a single month) has caused me to stop hosting the Bladlander map on my server. :cry:

If anyone knows of a server that would benevolently host this map, please let me know. It's been quite popular lately.

Sorry for the abrupt suspension, but I just don't have that kind of money to burn. :(
elem3nt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elem3nt »

Wow. Sorry to hear that was happening. I can imagine your surprise when you got the broadband bill!

0.bladica.com has been one of my most favorite servers recently. Sorry to hear it's going down.

However, please post here, or send to someone by e-mail, the world, config file, variables, and any other thing that could have to do with the server. I might try to host it temporarily, but the best way to try to keep the server alive would be to post the configuration here. That way anyone could host it if they wanted to.

Still, I would be interested in temporarily hosting it (233 MHz, DSL line). It probably wouldn't suffice for the long run, but might be useful unitl someone with some serious bandwidth steps up. Plz send the config, vars, and world to davidmigl at gmail dot com, and I'll see what I can do.

The server was an excellent server. I'm sure there will come a way to keep it alive.

P.S. Would you mind explaining how the server got its name? Eria, bladlander, ziel, are they words in a different language? Random arrangements of letters?
Deadalot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Deadalot »

Yes, I'll post the world and conf files somewhere and put a pointer to them.

<i>P.S. Would you mind explaining how the server got its name? Eria, bladlander, ziel, are they words in a different language? Random arrangements of letters?</i>

Well, my son found the map in a bunch of maps by a person named w00t. Don't know the person myself. The map was called Eria Ziel.

My son uses the online name of Bladica. He named the world Bladlander. I always gave credit for the origin of the map to the only person I knew. I found out it was his map because he dropped by one night (on the map) and we chatted about him creating it and how he always thought it sucked.

I guess one mans poison is another man's survival.

After watching the stock map for a few weeks, I decided to make a few changes. There was a building on one corner that seemed to be a waste. I replaced it with the shield.

Originally, Lasers were so deadly that I put in the transparent pyramid and shortened the laser beam.

Last week, I decided to put in those 4 extra transporters.

The flag mix has never changed from my original mix until yesterday when I decided to remove the Phantom Zone flags.

So, watch here and there will be a pointer to the map that I ended up with. I'm pretty bummed out about this. I hope somone hosts it. I really liked the map.
elem3nt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elem3nt »

Neat. It's pretty scary how you met the guy, but no one will probably hear from him ever again (unless you got some type of contact info).

Funny how the features I like best are the ones you put in. I don't know what the map would be without the pyramid and the shield. You can cover another corridor at the shield, but the pyramid is safer because there isn't a spawn zone behind it. I love the balance!

You wouldn't happen to have any contact info for w00t or a download link for that map of packs your son downloaded, would you?
Deadalot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Deadalot »

Here's the world file and the conf.

Enjoy!

(btw, this map sucked 90 gigabytes of bandwidth in a single month)

It was running on a dual processor Compaq rackmount server running Linux with 1G ram. It seldom used more than 1 or 2% of CPU, but it was obviously eating network...
Attachments
EriaZiel.bzw
The Eria Ziel Bladlander World File
(27.8 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
EriaZiel.txt
The Eria Ziel Bladlander Conf File
(1.21 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

The map is partly mine, I can't find the link in Map Releases, but here is my version. I never finished it, and when I released it I gave permission to change it and use it :)

In which, they did, and made some really fun stuff!
Attachments
Eria Ziel.map
Map file
(21.74 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Deadalot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Deadalot »

Yes, that looks like the original that I started with.

Thanks for the design. It was fun while it lasted... ;-)
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Thanks for hosting it! High tread* :)
M1A2AbramsTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by M1A2AbramsTank »

It's too bad I never found the time to play on it :oops: . Oh well, I guess I'll hvae to plsy it when comeone else hots it.
I'm baaaaaaaaack!
Deadalot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Deadalot »

M1A2AbramsTank wrote:It's too bad I never found the time to play on it :oops: . Oh well, I guess I'll hvae to plsy it when comeone else hots it.
Someone had it up for about an hour tonight. They already made changes to the flag mix and the driving speed. Too bad. I spent a long time tuning it so it was challenging.
Deadalot
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Deadalot »

Deadalot wrote:
M1A2AbramsTank wrote:It's too bad I never found the time to play on it :oops: . Oh well, I guess I'll hvae to plsy it when comeone else hots it.
Someone had it up for about an hour tonight. They already made changes to the flag mix and the driving speed. Too bad. I spent a long time tuning it so it was challenging.
Thumper says he might host it some.
M1A2AbramsTank
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by M1A2AbramsTank »

Thumper already has enough on his plate, he'd have to be crazy to run so many servers. Oh well, I guess that gives me a better chance to play on it! :D
I'm baaaaaaaaack!
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

yes it was a very nice map with unique features (fast tanks, the shield, the crystal pyramid, different kinds of buildings..). i hope it gets hosted again.
Green Manalishi
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Green Manalishi »

it is back!.. thanks to thumper (i think)
Thumper
Private First Class
Private First Class

re: it's back...

Post by Thumper »

You're welcome ;)

It's been running on my server for a long time now...since 2005-06-09T17:15:47Z :)

Yes I run a ton of servers... (currently 6) on my dinky cable connection. It seems to work okay as they normally get used one at a time anyway so the bandwidth tends to be for one map only. If multiple simultaneous servers get used regularly I'll 'fix' it so only the 'busy' server gets bandwidth. That hasn't been necessary yet. I think I can handle about 20 players at once max before lag goes nuts.

Regards,
Thumper