Optional bad flags

Make suggestions for improving one of the best games on the net!
The Purple Panzer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Optional bad flags

Post by The Purple Panzer »

I got a Blindness flag the other day, and enjoyed trying to play just with radar. And I've found Bouncy to be useful at times (it seems to me that the jumps aren't full jumps, but I could be wrong).

What I'd like is the option to grab a bad flag at will, to practice or just even the odds if I'm playing someone new to the game. This doesn't seem unreasonable - after all, if I may drop a good flag at will, giving up whatever advantage it gives me, it seems that the mirror image operation of acquiring a bad flag at will should fit right in.

The idea needs work - one option would be to have defined regions in maps where bad flags occur, but that wouldn't be quite as convenient, unless I could choose to spawn there. Maybe it would be a special sort of operation, a message like "/badflag JM" (if JM is jamming), that would give it to me but let me drop it at will.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

It would be nice to have traps of bad flags you know? Like that zone tool comiong out that like fires a worldweapon when you trigger it :). Cross this path boom an blindness flag :).
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

I thought of a similar idea.

On one of my maps, I have one Rogue set to guard a certain pile of flags in a certain spot, although I don't want the Rogue to go to other parts of the map and wreck havoc. The way I have it, the Rogue cannot go anywhere unless it jumps, so I have the Rogue spawn in a certain spot every time. It just so happens that a No Jumping flag always spawns there too. :wink:

The other reason to do this is to discourage being the Rogue, unless the teams are full.
elem3nt
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by elem3nt »

Which brings up a point - how is Wide Angle a bad flag? Sure it distorts your view, but you get a field of view of 120 degrees versus 60 - allowing you to see more of the battlefield and be more aware of your surroundings! It should either be a good flag or an option!
RPG
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by RPG »

But it can be taken as a bad flag because you cannot see far away objects with clarity and you're not used to seeing through a 120 degree portal.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

Also, Masterquade is a good excuse for tk :twisted:

Not that I tk on purpose, but it could be my excuse when I accidentally tk because I am not all that good of a player....

Once, I got 3 kills with one row of shots from Trigger Happy :D
DTRemenak
General
General

Re: Optional bad flags

Post by DTRemenak »

The Purple Panzer wrote:And I've found Bouncy to be useful at times (it seems to me that the jumps aren't full jumps, but I could be wrong).
Bouncy picks randomly how high it's going to jump (I think the range is 25% to 100% of normal). Otherwise it is too predictable and easy to play with ;)
The Purple Panzer wrote:What I'd like is the option to grab a bad flag at will, to practice or just even the odds if I'm playing someone new to the game. This doesn't seem unreasonable - after all, if I may drop a good flag at will, giving up whatever advantage it gives me, it seems that the mirror image operation of acquiring a bad flag at will should fit right in.

The idea needs work - one option would be to have defined regions in maps where bad flags occur, but that wouldn't be quite as convenient, unless I could choose to spawn there. Maybe it would be a special sort of operation, a message like "/badflag JM" (if JM is jamming), that would give it to me but let me drop it at will.
It's an interesting idea....it would be fairly difficult to implement, though. Bad flags being droppable one problem; the code is just not set up that way. The other, bigger problem, is that the server only allocates N slots to flags, where N is the number the server owner specified. In other words, you'd need to grab a flag off of the field or off of a tank, change it's type to be a bad flag, and set it on your tank. Alternately, you could make your client _simulate_ the effects of having a bad flag (which would be a lot easier), but nobody else would know that you were handicapped.