it's stupid and it pisses me off!!!!!

All things BZFlag - no [OT] here please
baddmove
Private First Class
Private First Class

it's stupid and it pisses me off!!!!!

Post by baddmove »

ya know...i really enjoy playing this game and i do pretty good most of the time..but!!!
this ALWAYS respawning into a wall or into a corner kills me more than most players do!!..
I mean,, i respawn into a wall everytime during a busy game and WHAM!!! dead...it needs to be fixed..why cant we respond in the middle of the board? huh?......it's boosheet..that's what it is!!!
O.K. i feel better now....BM
orchid
Dev Godess
Dev Godess

Post by orchid »

im not sure its an issue in FFA, but then i dont play alot of FFA, but certinaly in CTF id like the re-pop to be relative to your own flag, for example at least put you in the same half of the feild as your own flag?

probably though this would open a door to abuse, like the new fad of rejoining to pop up in your base to kill the guy stealing your flag.
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

facing the wall is an actual desing feature, it trys to spawn you in the safest spot for you and team mates. It has been discussed that yes this indeed stucks. As soon as G2 is out, the server will most likely calculate all spawn points and send them to the client. Then reasonable spawns can be caluated for the client, depending on the game type.
ImageJeffM
KRR
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by KRR »

Patlabor221 wrote:As soon as G2 is out, the server will most likely calculate all spawn points and send them to the client. Then reasonable spawns can be caluated for the client, depending on the game type.
I think it does this already for my client, calculating and sending me to a point far away from the flag, and, if possible, just in front of where a shot is due to arrive. It also calculates where the opposing team would be best served in a respawn, and places them there. As a bonus, it points me away from opposing team always, and respawns them aimed straight at me, from the side or behind.

:D :D :D

KR
The Scurvy Dogz
"My other tank is a sailboat..."
JeffM
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by JeffM »

ohh it does that now, it's jsut the cilent does it not the server.

so it must be your computer that hates you :)
ImageJeffM
Razzberry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Razzberry »

I've often wondered why there isn't a respawn area that is protected and no shots can be fired inside of it, sort of a DMZ with several teleports out, but no way in except dying during the game.

I must agree though that some maps have terrible respawning, usually far away from any cover or flags on a busy server.
Razzberry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Razzberry »

I've often wondered why there isn't a respawn area that is protected and no shots can be fired inside of it, sort of a DMZ with several teleports out, but no way in except dying during the game.

I must agree though that some maps have terrible respawning, usually far away from any cover or flags on a busy server.
bamf.
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by bamf. »

I think bzgirl hinted at this already.

From a ctf perspective, you need the random spawning. Think of the possible deceit during a match. You may know where the respawn area is, if it is closer to where your flag happens to be at that moment, or the enemy's flag; what is to stop you from killing yourself for a better position?

kill zone

Post by Guest »

as far as respawning:

1. on some maps its worse then others, take for example the last two maps running on turkey, spiffs map had enough clutter to give you the slight ability to dodge, and was large enough that spawning in front of another person happened rarely......but the new turkey, respawn=kill, i died from richo volley that killed me the first time......i died 4-5 times in a row spawn right next to an elevated GM.......and nowhere to hide.

2. i have to agree with bzgirl on ctf....but for ffa, it would be nice to control the spawn zone a little better.

3. as for spawn kills.....honestly, my way to deal with that is if you appear in front of me you are dead, sry, but most likely you are going to kill me the minute i turn around......if i am GM "stationed" i do try not to target spawners for a bit.......but only a bit......unless its razz, then he dies. :)
several players BnM about getting killed when they spawn.....sometimes it just happens........when it happens 5 times in row........then i get mad...hahaha

summary: maybe create two different modes for respawning based on ctf or ffa, possible random for ctf and human controlled for ffa........to avoid the GM'ers...just ideas
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Agreed Bagheera.

For now- I would challenge map makers to "control" the spawn points. I made an effort to do this with the last Turkey.moongroup map (Canyon 3.0) and it worked rather well. Try to position the main spawn points around the edges of the map (by taking up the center space with buildings) and make ample cover for them (buildings, boxes, pyramids, etc.). Most of the spawn troubles with FFA result from shoddy map making.

As for CTF, I agree completely with bzgirl.

Check out Patlabor's "Screamers" game (http://www.bakadigital.com).. it has spawn points (specific parts of the map to spawn in) for each team.. and the map creator sets that up. I can't wait until it's an actual game!!!!!!!! :)
Razzberry
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: kill zone

Post by Razzberry »

3. as for spawn kills.....honestly, my way to deal with that is if you appear in front of me you are dead, sry, but most likely you are going to kill me the minute i turn around......if i am GM "stationed" i do try not to target spawners for a bit.......but only a bit......unless its razz, then he dies. :)
hahaha, I don't play favorites for spawn killing. I shoot and say I'm sorry later.