Hepcat Map Contest Poll (and results to come!)

General talk about the map making process.

Which map is the best overall originality, playability, and fun'ness?

Poll ended at Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:26 pm

BIYA - Warzone Reloaded - hepcat.tybox.net:5001
26%
BIYA - Hide N Seek - hepcat.tybox.net:5002
16%
BIYA - GU Modded - hepcat.tybox.net:5003
No votes
ducatiwannabe - Bei-Zei-Fak - hepcat.tybox.net:5004
No votes
ducatiwannabe - River of Destruction - hepcat.tybox.net:5005
6%
ducatiwannabe - The Lost City - hepcat.tybox.net:5006
6%
Sir Lance-A-Lot - TowerZ - hepcat.tybox.net:5007
6%
Legoguy - Caverns - hepcat.tybox.net:5008
13%
Louman - Columns & Rivers - hepcat.tybox.net:5009
6%
Louman - Time Trial - hepcat.tybox.net:5010
10%
Louman - Twin Peaks - hepcat.tybox.net:5011
6%
Landshark - RainNFrogs - hepcat.tybox.net:5012
No votes
experiMENTALfrog - Tower - hepcat.tybox.net:5013
No votes
experiMENTALfrog - glassbottom - hepcat.tybox.net:5014
3%

Total votes: 31

hepcatcops
Private
Private

Hepcat Map Contest Poll (and results to come!)

Post by hepcatcops »

Please take a moment to log into each of the following maps to and spend some time checking them out before voting.

Please remember to consider overall originality, playability, and fun'ness when voting.
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

Oops, I was logged in as another user when I posted this. Just wanted to note that this is official and legitimate.

-Silverfox
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

It has just occurred to me that I haven't addressed how a tie will be dealt with. In the event of a tie, another poll will be held with ONLY the top maps in a tie as an option.

The more people that vote, the lower the likelihood of a tie. I'd like to encourage you to link to this vote on your website or on other forums. Server admins can even do a srvmsg.

Please only one vote per player, and DO NOT CREATE ADDITIONAL ACCOUNTS TO VOTE. Not only is it not fair, its not right.

Thanks so much to the map creators for their submissions. All of them are quite great in their own standing, and I've found it very tough to choose just one. Good work!
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

I voted on Sir Lance a Lot's map, because it's cool and it isn't right to vote for your own map.
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Brennen The Great »

I voted for your lost City DW, i love that map :D
Admin @ Pythonian Servers
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's
SilverFox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by SilverFox »

Only 8 votes so far!?!? Y'all need to tell your friends to participate in the judging. The more votes, the more meaningful the results are!

Post by Guest »

When does the poll end, SilverFox?
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Err... please not the hide+seek thing. That one is funny but not a map that can be played on a serious server for months. :?
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

5001: good map but way to slow tanks :(
5002: this one is allready put up on DTR's server
5003: looks like hix2 but just some changes, not bad
5004: not bad but not 10 shots :(, hepcat should be 3 shots
5005: dont really like with the self destruction :)
5006: to busy map
5007: sux with one shot :)
5008: awesome, i knew the map from before, gets my vote :)
5009: also awesome map, really great, to bad i cant vote at 2 :(
5010: nice done, good to race with people --> some one can put this up? :)
5011: good but some are better
5012: nice but its more a showmap than a play map though
5013: also nice but some are better
5014: couldnt connect to this one
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Ya come on and vote guys :) Sorry you didn't enjoy my maps birdie, but that's ok. Louman is really the best anyway :)
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

No... Louman's maps look great but they are unplayable for lots of players because of the huge poly-count. For example I have ~3-5 FPS on his maps. For a big and crowded server like hepcat I would say you need a simple, well constructed ctf-map. Like BIYA's first one is. I voted for it.
birdie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by birdie »

ducatiwannabe wrote:Ya come on and vote guys :) Sorry you didn't enjoy my maps birdie, but that's ok. Louman is really the best anyway :)
you are all great map makers, i was really impressed but some maps are better

but like saturos said some are unplayable, and yours are, you dont make bad maps, they are good, i just typed that to make some difference between all of them
Brennen The Great
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Brennen The Great »

Saturos wrote:Err... please not the hide+seek thing. That one is funny but not a map that can be played on a serious server for months. :?
I totally agree with Saturos. ive played that map and i dont think it suits the hepcat style, i think a hepcat map should be simple, like no extra textures and meshes and stuff, just simple boxes and triangles.
Admin @ Pythonian Servers
Admin @ Brad's
Cop @ Silvercat
Cop @ Hepcat
Cop/SetGroup @ Louman's
A Meteorite
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by A Meteorite »

Warzone Reloaded. Simple, yet fun. I used to host... maybe if it doesn't win I can host it again. :D Go Warzone!
birdie wrote:5001: good map but way to slow tanks :(
It think the tank speed will be increased - I hope. :roll:
Owner @ BZFX
Core Admin @ CAN

Email me: bzmet…@gmail.com
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

Vote peeps :)
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Birdie the warzone map can be changed in a snap. On meteors server it was fast. I think that the hills map could be a nice change to the hepcat servers :).
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

I think that the hepcat maps should be simple, but 2.0.2. No boxes or pyramids. Meshes make the map look prettier, and make for much more original and playable maps. It seems like all the box and pyramid maps are getting to be too complex, with a bazillion beams shooting all over the place, like a giant cobweb. None got my vote. Hide and Seek already has it's own server, so no reason for that to be hosted by hepcat. Time Trial got my vote, because I love maps with physics drivers. :D It is hard to kill tanks on the highway unless you are on the highway yourself. The different speeds of the highway offer many more ways to shoot, as the bullets go different speeds relative to the others when you are on the highway. For the people who prefer to stay off the highway, there are plenty of buildings, trees, etc. that serve as obstacles. All the random mesh objects scattered around the map are all waaay better than boxes and pyramids, in my opinion.

5009 and 5014 didn't work for me.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Im sure you can drop it out of the poll..... If not then sorry...
Saturos
Art Master General
Art Master General

Post by Saturos »

Meshes make the map look prettier, and make for much more original and playable maps.
Hmm... I totally disagree. So far I have seen zero (0!) 2.0.0-maps that were playable. Looking at old-school maps you have hix, the ducati-random-stuff, overlord, the two castles, pillbox, madcity - THOSE are original and playable. Nearly all 2.0.0-maps I have seen were totally unbalanced, bombed with meshes, flashing lights, extra textures and totally unplayable. In addition the frame-rate drops down to a level where playing isn't fun anymore (at least on my pc but I am sure I am not the only one experiencing this).

Go old-school in map-making, so you have to concentrate on the gameplay itself and not on useless colors, rico-destroying meshes and confusing lights. ;)
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

I agree, I have not seen many good 2.0.2 maps yet. However, if the 1.x mappers learned 2.0.2, they would make better maps. Boxes and pyramids don't allow for a lot of creativity by themselves. They are better when you make things out of a lot of tiny boxes, but that creates a huge preformance hit.

My favorite 2.0.0 map is The Two Castles.

Without 2.0.0 the moats could not kill, the water in the moats would not move, the water in the moats would not be colored, the corner towers would not be round, the side towers would not be round, the ornament above the bases could not be made, the roof above the shooting platform on the side towers could not be made conical, and the certain cylinders could not be made to have the rock texture.

In most cases, 2.0.0/2.0.2 only adds prettiness, as in most of the examples above. Two Castles would be boring without the cylinders and textures, but more importantly, would not seem unique. The bases and the side tower/platform things would look almost the same, and with everything being brick it gets to be a bit confusing.

But 2.0.0 adds some playability also. Physics drivers are one example. They can shoot you to high places, and help you get around a map. In the example above, physics drivers allow the moat to kill when you fall on it. Otherwise, the moat would be useless.

LouMan's Islands map is an example of a completely 2.0.2 map that is playable.
TD-Linux
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by TD-Linux »

I'm starting to wonder, though, If I should have voted for WarZone. I played it more, as it is in first, and it seems to fit well with the HepCat theme, whatever that is.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

Well warzone only has 4 2.0 objects and that is the invisable pyramids. That doesnt really effect the playability. Over all I think its a very playable map. Mostly boxes and Pyramids but has some world weapons like Duchtrai's Meteor shower and 4 Gm's that fire at the top of each base, O and 4 more 2.0 objects the Escalators 2 at one base and 2 at the other.
ducatiwannabe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by ducatiwannabe »

What about all those rocks? :)

I know a lot of cool maps that people worked hard on. I like Louman's maps, he's pretty good at keeping 2.0 playable. And Landshark did good with Rain'n Frogs, but the only problem with his is just a little on the playability. Anyway, let's get back to voting on the contest, not which map hepcat should use.
BIYA
Corporal
Corporal

Post by BIYA »

:doh: :!: :!: :doh: Forgot about the rocks. :). I'll update the map soon. Faster tanks, I'll switch Trepans rocks with my rocks. And from there on change anything that is needed to be changed.

Anyway yes lets get back to voting...
jomojo
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by jomojo »

so i figured out where to vote. But I don't think we should consider anything but ctf maps. There are plenty of servers that are not ctf, with way too many shots. except for a few most are empty all the time. The only 2 maps that i saw that had any potential where 5003 and 5005. But not as is. Too many shots on each, and both should be made slightly smaller. Most where beyond complicated. and Pointless.